Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hit show dateline NBC: to catch a predator takes a deadly turn!

proud infidel

Exclamation hit show dateline NBC: to catch a predator takes a deadly turn!

with the suicide death of a former assistant district attorney

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15673192/ (scroll down to mid-page for vid)

Wonderful. Sooner or later, someone was going to get hurt.

I agree that pedophilia is a serious issue, and that these men need serious help. Preferably from expert shrinks, not from cops, and especially not from exploitive shows like this.

I don't know what's more disgusting, the sex offenders, Dateline NBC, or the people giving this show high ratings. Bordering on entrapment, NBC is acting as an agent of LE in order to make "Reality TV" out of a serious problem like pedophilia. And people watch this stuff for the same reason they watch Jerry Springer: for a false sense of hypocritical superiority over those with more serious problems. Disgusting all around.

Quote Originally Posted by bond_james_bond

I agree that pedophilia is a serious issue, and that these men need serious help. Preferably from expert shrinks, not from cops, and especially not from exploitive shows like this.

I don't know what's more disgusting, the sex offenders, Dateline NBC, or the people giving this show high ratings. Bordering on entrapment, NBC is acting as an agent of LE in order to make "Reality TV" out of a serious problem like pedophilia. And people watch this stuff for the same reason they watch Jerry Springer: for a false sense of hypocritical superiority over those with more serious problems. Disgusting all around.
    What you say is all fine and dandy, but do you realise that they will NEVER go to therapy voluntarily? maybe 1 out of a 1000 will, but the rest will continue to search for minors to get their perverted fix.

I find what dateline is doing great, i hope they keep doing it.

Working rage-aholic
    Bond, I watch the show, and I don't have a false sense of superiority. I agree, these men have a problem. They may not necessarily be evil people, any more than a person with a gambling addiction is evil.

But, the issue is not whether or not they're evil people. The issue is that they are dangerous to kids. A gambling addicts habit doesn't involve sex with ten year olds. I don't want someone who's addicted to sex with children living next door to me. And Picaron is right. Few of them will seek help voluntarily. Some may not be 'curable'. I've talked to a guy who specializes in treating men with these or similar problems. He says the illness is like diabetes. It can only be managed, never cured.

Maybe I'm scum for watching the show. Maybe LEO's are truculent (it's not entrapment, though, of that I'm sure). I believe many are. But if the result is fewer offenses against children, why oppose it? Remember that alot of these men who are now predators are only predators because they were once victims of the same crime. It's a cycle of destructive and damaging behavior.

As for the decency of the show, forget punishment or the holier than thou attitudes of many assholes in society. The thing to focus on is that this show must scare pedophiles. It's not a cure, because as we agree, many of these people are sick, not evil. But I believe it can be a deterrent. If a man knows a rendezvous could be a setup, he might think twice, especially if he knows that other prisoners single out pedophiles for brutal punishment.

As for the man who killed himself, it is sad. But Dateline didn't kill him. His sickness did. And Jesus, there are an awful lot of guys like him. In the misandry thread I started, I posted an article by a woman who dressed as a man to write about it. She gained a greater understanding of men. She realized that sex is an impulse for men. It is, of course. But if your impulse directs you to underage kids, the best thing you can do is stifle your impulse any way you can and get help, both for the kids and yourself.

Just my .02
    Last edited by btyger; 11-16-2006 at 06:41 AM.
    Why are homely people discriminated against...we're the majority

Psychiatric help, 5 cents

Louis William Conradt Jr found his cure, the only one that actually works in these cases.
    Your comment, "I don't know what's more disgusting, the sex offenders, Dateline NBC, or the people giving this show high ratings" speaks volumes. Most people do know what is more disgusting. Ask the victims or their families. "Hypocritical superiority?" I don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by mrten
    Louis William Conradt Jr found his cure, the only one that actually works in these cases.
    Your comment, "I don't know what's more disgusting, the sex offenders, Dateline NBC, or the people giving this show high ratings" speaks volumes. Most people do know what is more disgusting. Ask the victims or their families. "Hypocritical superiority?" I don't think so.
    My concern is our Constitutional rights. What I find disgusting is that LE tramples on them, and people cheer them on. Our identity as a free country is somehow more important than pedophilia, IMHO.

Yes, these guys are scumbags. But IMHO, talking dirty on the Internet is free speech. And parents and children have the same 1st amendment right to tell these guys to f*** off. Two mouse clicks on Yahoo IM will block these guys. Problem solved. Going to someone's house invited is Freedom of Assembly.

I have no sympathy for these men, and these busts probably will act as a deterrent.

But today, it's sex offenders and we can accept that. Tomorrow, what if NBC decides to run the exact same kind of operation on johns? And society will cheer them on, because all sex is evil.

Notice too, the language. Originally, it was "child molester," meaning someone who assaults children. Then, it became "sex offender," meaning someone who sexually assaults ANYONE. Now, it is "sexual predator." That could mean any guy who tries to pick up a chick in a bar!

Along the lines of btyger's misandry thread, men are being targeted. You're not allowed to have sex ... with anyone. My concern is that going after pedophiles is only the beginning.

proud infidel
    Why can't they just do the show without necessarily showing the faces of the would-be predators? After all, evidence of sexual assault has yet to be demonstrated, though a case may be made for criminal intent to commit sexual assault on a child, and, also, aren't these people supposed to be innocent until proven guilty? My problem with the show is the far-reaching consequences of revealing a person's identity in front of the whole nation like that, without any conviction yet and in a context where a person is being bated. It must be devastating for that person, his career, his family and friends.

fml

p.s. I have no kids. Maybe if I had, my opinion would be different
    Last edited by femaleluver2; 11-16-2006 at 01:23 PM.

Yes, these guys are scumbags. But IMHO, talking dirty on the Internet is free speech.
    These people profiled on Dateline aren't just talking dirty to youngsters, there full intention is to show up at these 13 year olds houses and bang them in the arse or worse, is that ok by you?

You know how many people they must pass over for just "talking dirty"? It's only the extreme sick fucks that actually go overboard and show up for a rendezvous with kids that Dateline busts. Good for them! Even though it's all about the ratings at least they're humiliating these fucken extreme low lifes and if they then choose to kill themselves, so be it, Good Riddance!

These are not cases of consensual sex between adults. These are situations where adult men target, pursue, connive, and cajole children to have sex with them.

Our identity as a free country is somehow more important than pedophilia, IMHO.
    Yes, the pedophiles have rights too. The right to remain silent, the right to an attorney, and the right to spend a long time behind bars so they can't molest children.

Going to someone's house invited is Freedom of Assembly.
    Not when they're going there to have sex with a child.

My concern is that going after pedophiles is only the beginning.
    Absolutely. Gotta watch out for that slippery slope! Who will they target next? Maybe they'll go after rapists, murderers, armed robbers... damn, no criminal is safe anymore.

This thread was about a pedophile, who had a position of power in government, using the internet to prey on children.

IMHO He committed suicide and saved the community the ordeal of a trial.

Voyager
    "No matter how sophisticated you may be, a large granite mountain cannot be denied—it speaks in silence to the very core of your being."
    -Ansel Adams

Hey Bond,

thats a pretty aggressive opinion you've got there! are you a baby fucker?

Quote Originally Posted by cant stop
    Hey Bond,

thats a pretty aggressive opinion you've got there! are you a baby fucker?
    Typical. Assume that just because I have a differing opinion, I must be one of them. No, I am not a pedophile. I actually support castration or life in prison for pedophiles ... IF they actually have sex with a child.

It just frightens me dearly that I can imagine the EXACT same thing being done to johns (i.e. "us" - the hobbyists).

Sooner or later they'll find that there are pedophiles involved in organizing these sting operations.
    Its a good place to hide and they get to role play something that would make us vomit.

I actually support castration or life in prison for pedophiles ... IF they actually have sex with a child.

So to you, it is only truly horrendous, in order to protect everyones "rights", once the pedophile has violated the rights of a child? I have no sympathy for these guys at all, and hope to see more and more of these sickos outted. And yet, you support violating someones reproductive rights, or extending maximum sentences to include lifetime imprisionment?

Could this happen to "johns"? I highly doubt it. You must remember that in many state, the laws concern soliciting a minor are very different from the laws about solicitation of an adult. Also, if you see this happening to johns, what makes you think that castration would be limited to pedophiles (your slippery slope has to be applied to BOTH scenarios - no?) or lifetime imprisionment?

I applaud this show, it has opened the discussion about internet predators, hopefully, opened the eyes of a few parents, and any parent who would watch this program, would sit down with their children and have a real discussion about this matter.

xoxox
    Anik
    Last edited by Just-ass-weet; 11-16-2006 at 03:00 PM.

It always ‘kills’ me when people spout the ‘Constitutional’ rights of the assailants/accused/convicted. What about the rights of the victim(s)! The're the ones that have had their rights revoked. The victims of these crimes have to live with what has been done to them for the rest of their lives. Just trying to get through a typical day can be excruciating. Meanwhile the perpetrator just carries on because he (it!) can justify anything in his own mind, (typical sociopath) safe in the knowledge that his 'rights' are protected.

Have a great day!
    Just keep smiling...it keeps them guessing.

Going to someone's house invited is Freedom of Assembly.
    They are not going there to assemble, they are going there to molest a child!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast