Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Iraqi insurgents gunned down

Working rage-aholic

Iraqi insurgents gunned down

This video is not for the faint of heart. It's a heat sensing video of US soldiers gunning down Iraqi insurgents. Note how many times they get permission before firing...

http://www.uselessjunk.com/article_full.php?id=13507

I understand why, and I'm no expert, I wasn't there, etc, but I think it's scary that soldiers have to go through what seems like a million channels to engage combatants with missiles, trucks and what appeared to be a piece of artillery. It's a war, and even though I never supported this war, that doesn't mean the soldiers who have to fight should be handcuffed.

I'm guessing the Iraqi's who were killed would not have been as patient...I know atrocities happen in war, and I'm sure American soldiers commit them as well-but I think this video is one example of how professional and generally careful the US military tries to be. Maybe sometimes too much so.

While I find the 'no liberal comments' at the top uneccessary and an another attempt to turn the 'l' word into a pejorative term while intimidating others and discouraging free speech-I disagree with the posters who cited the Geneva convention and called this a war crime or said they don't see a weapon. It's naive to think those were anything other than weapons being thrown in the field, and there is no time for a trial in war. That is what war is and I'm greatful it wasn't me having to make that decision. If it had been me I would've been frustrated at having to ask permission to fire on the enemy.
    Last edited by btyger; 12-24-2006 at 07:01 AM.
    Why are homely people discriminated against...we're the majority

I remember playing the computer games Gunship and LHX.

I wonder if they were using the Longbow version of the Apache. That has a sensor mast which allows the Apache to hide behind a hill, while being able to see over it.

proud infidel
    I thought the guys acted very professionally
    fml

Obviously they got what they deserved. I have no sympathy for any religious fanatics as they would not have given a second thought to bombing us or cutting off our heads etc. Job well done.
    You got a mighty purdy mouth.

Mired in the red dust.
    No comment.

Quote Originally Posted by femaleluver2
    I thought the guys acted very professionally
    listen to the last scene

Quote Originally Posted by Serpico
    If after the imminent Sadam execution, Iran steps in, we are so screwed.
    Step in to what???? Step in how exactly????
    You really think the U.S. is scared of Iran, I doubt it!

esco

Quote Originally Posted by Esco!
    Step in to what???? Step in how exactly????
    You really think the U.S. is scared of Iran, I doubt it!
    Just look and use your own judjment us is desperate in Iraq they just dont have the face to get out they admit that that they are not winning you know what that means they are loosing with little Iraq my frined Iran is not Iraq they will make sure they will teach them a better lesson plus the army has no more moral to face aonther taugh country like Iran.Us had no business to attack Iraq at first anyhow but what do you expect from Bush man cant even speak the language I am not saying stupid Saddam was better but saddam was killing and tourteuing his own people but has ceated worldwid confution.Any how just wish peace and love every body in this world american Iraqi Iranian African Canadian (every) nation like peace and joy.But belive me this world is better world without people like Bush or Saddam.
    Peace

But I highly doubt Iran will invade or send troops to Iraq, all that would do is give Bush an excuse to broaden the war to the rest of the Middle-East.

PS. If the Arabs ever unite, we are so screwed.
    The one thing that does worry me is that we have huge Muslim population in Canada's (and USA's) major cities. If they all turned terrorist tomorrow it could bring down North-America and perhaps Europe very quickly.
    I shall bang one more Montreal ho asap, just in case I end up condemned in a life time of latinas in Mexico (wait, that may not be a bad thing, yoohooo).
    Forget Mehhico, go to Venezuela, chick are 10 times hotter!!!

http://www.sexycaracas.com/site/p_in...578816c091d2c2

You'll thank me for it later

These 3 guys were up to something and it wasn't sowing seeds or picking up the crop obviously.They were looking around in a very suspicious way.
    This is war and it's ''either them or us''.Let them go and see what happens next,they'll come back and hit you.With all those suicide bombers commandos you never know.
    Can't take no chances,and they didn't.
    I do not applaud for any acts of violence and killing but this is war and shit happens.

i dont understand why people keep saying usa are loosing the war.the war is over since what 2 years?it took only 3 weeks to get bagdad wich is their capital.in my book when you take possesion of the country and when your enemy do not have any military equipment except a few ak-47 and a few rocket launcher i think that mean you won the war.dont think a boxer will only be the winner of his fight when his opponent will be heal from the last fight he won the fight when the other guy was knocked out

Quote Originally Posted by scan
    i dont understand why people keep saying usa are loosing the war.the war is over since what 2 years?it took only 3 weeks to get bagdad wich is their capital.in my book when you take possesion of the country and when your enemy do not have any military equipment except a few ak-47 and a few rocket launcher i think that mean you won the war.dont think a boxer will only be the winner of his fight when his opponent will be heal from the last fight he won the fight when the other guy was knocked out
    Part of winning a war is that after you've conquered and defeated a nation miliarily, you have to hold on to it.
    This is the hard part, America has by far the strongest military in the world, but what they cant do (and no other natioin can either) is hoild on to a country if they're not wanted there.
    Whats happening right now is guerilla warfare and I doubt the U.S. has the stamina to keep going like this for ever, sooner or later they're gonna have to get the heck out of there.

I think the U.S. is making the same mistake Russia made with Afghanistan, the Russians conquered most of Afghanistan in a few months, thats the easy part.
    The hard part is holding on to a country after you've conquered it

Quote Originally Posted by Esco!
    Part of winning a war is that after you've conquered and defeated a nation miliarily, you have to hold on to it.
    This is the hard part, America has by far the strongest military in the world, but what they cant do (and no other natioin can either) is hoild on to a country if they're not wanted there.
    Whats happening right now is guerilla warfare and I doubt the U.S. has the stamina to keep going like this for ever, sooner or later they're gonna have to get the heck out of there.

I think the U.S. is making the same mistake Russia made with Afghanistan, the Russians conquered most of Afghanistan in a few months, thats the easy part.
    The hard part is holding on to a country after you've conquered it
    Exactly. It is somewhat similar to the problem with Vietnam.

Germany and Japan WANTED US-style democracy. There was ample political support in both countries to adopt American guidelines.

However, the government in South Vietnam, despite being a US ally, was corrupt and couldn't give a rat's ass about most of their people in poverty. The Viet Cong and North Vietnamese offered an alternative. No matter how many battles the US won militarily, there just wasn't enough political support in South Vietnam for a corrupt government.

In Iraq, with the removal of Saddam, there is basically a power vacuum created, and at least three different factions are looking to establish their own nation. There are plenty of insurgents in multiple factions who view the US as outsiders trying to preserve the nation of Iraq for purposes of securing oil and land; the US simply could care less about internal Iraqi politics but that is what is ripping the country apart. The nation of Iraq was originally mashed together by the British anyways, and centuries-old rivalries are re-appearing in the aftermath of Saddam's removal.

This is what I would have done if I were Bush after 9/11:

Dont invade Afghanistan or Iraq but do prolonged SEVERY aerial bombing onto what you suspect are terrorist camps and strongholds.
    Do this from the air, and hold a sizable military force outside these countries when and if these camps sprout up again.
    When they do sprout up you bomb the hell out of them again, and again and again, as many times as necessary!!

As far as homeland security is concerned, dont hassle old ladies with water bottles at the airport.
    Stop, search and hassle all Arabs or middle easteners and make sure they know the'yre being watched.
    Yes that may be profiling and a bit cruel but f*ck it, wer're at war and war is nasty business!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast