Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Anybody try sports wagering?

  1. #1
    proud infidel
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    from the civilized world
    Posts
    1,983

    Anybody try sports wagering?

    Hi guys,

    recently I've been listening to a radio show on Saturday mornings, at 620 on the AM dial, dealing with sports wagering. The show is hosted by an expert by the name of ''Danny B'', I believe. The guy seems to hail from New York or Jersey, and has got a super-strong accent . Maybe some will recognize him. He touts himself as an expert, having grown up in betting circles, boasting decades of experience in the field, including knowing everything about how things work over in Vegas. Anyway, I must confess that the guy, with his sound philosophy and dynamic approach, has made quite an impression on me. He seems quite serious and committed to what he does. He says that to be able to use his services one needs to have at least 2K to invest, however, ideally, he says, investing sums in the 20K to 50K range is best. He states that he can guarantee you returns far exceeding those obtained by playing the stock market. ''Gimme 10K now and by March I can make it double'', he says, or, ''gimme 50K now and by March I can turn it into a quarter of a Mil.'' I must say his pitch is rather enticing . Since listening to him, I've been considering more and more the possibility of using sports wagering as a way to invest some of my money. However, I'm a bit chicken to actually take the plunge . Does anyone have any experience with sports betting? Has anyone ever tried using the services of a sports betting expert? If so, were you pleased with your returns? Personally, I've been investing mostly in equities and reaping returns in the 6-8 per cent range . It'd be nice if I could boost that figure to maybe 20 or 30 per cent by betting on sports instead . Any thoughts? Thanks!
    fml

  2. #2
    There's a reason it's called gambling.

  3. #3
    Veteran of Misadventures
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    13,132
    FML2,

    Are you serious?

  4. #4
    proud infidel
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    from the civilized world
    Posts
    1,983
    Quote Originally Posted by EagerBeaver
    FML2,

    Are you serious?
    Dear EB,

    actually, on second thought, I don't think I'm gonna carry through with it . First, because I'm too chicken. Second, cuz I don't feel like having to make around 500 dollars worth of cell phone calls each month to some guy in NY in charge of my affairs . But the idea of using sports betting as a commodity, an investing tool did appear rather seductive to me. If some of you guys are interested, you can try tuning your AM radio to 620 (WVMT) in MTL on Saturday mornings around 10 to 12. The guy sounds very credible... and dare I say honest . Further, if you think playing the stock market is pretty safe and reasonable, well, think again, as my portfolio, however small , took a drastic plunge during the tech-stock meltdown... Make no mistake about it, folks, investment, whatever form it may take, always carries some amount of risk, along with offering uncertain rewards.
    fml

  5. #5
    Veteran of Misadventures
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    13,132
    There is a big difference between investing and rank gambling.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Nevada, U.S.A.
    Posts
    28

    Smile Not a way to earn money

    I live in close proximity to several sports books . On occasion I'll put 10 or 20 down on a game with my teams or maybe the super bowl or world series. But I always bet with this in mind ...."The only one who gets rich in the casino, is the owner". No one is an expert. The closest thing to an expert are the guys in London and Las Vegas who actually set the point spreads and/or odds. Just how the hell do they know?????!!!! Its beyond me. Many is the time that I've come THIS CLOSE to winning or losing my bet.
    Last edited by zeero; 01-15-2007 at 02:13 AM.

  7. #7
    proud infidel
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    from the civilized world
    Posts
    1,983
    Guys,

    not to keep harping on this topic, but the guy did sound orderly in his approach. For example, he said he's not the type to bet on any and every game out there like some of the others so-called experts. He typically bets on only 3 or 4 games over a weekend, deeming the rest of the games too risky to handicap and hence beat the odds. As some of you have suggested, he agrees that the people setting the odds in Vegas are among the very best out there, otherwise, he says, they wouldn't be able to keep their jobs very long. He also mentioned that whenever there's roughly an equal number of betters on both sides of a bet, the Casino makes the greatest amount of money, hence the importance of employing the best sports handicappers out there from a Casino standpoint. He also mentioned that, apart from the occasional NFL and NBA game, there do exist some great money making opportunities in some of the college basketball games. Anyone choosing to use his services is basically entrusting him with his or her money, as he's the sole ''decider'' when it comes to when to bet and which games to bet on. He argues that you can't do his job no more than he can do yours. He says that while you're busy working, he's hard at work reading up on things, doing research, contacting sports insiders, etc, all with the goal of coming up with the best possible selection of potential upcoming bets.
    Last edited by femaleluver2; 01-15-2007 at 10:14 PM.
    fml

  8. #8
    Veteran of Misadventures
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    13,132
    Quote Originally Posted by femaleluver2
    not to keep harping on this topic, but the guy did sound orderly in his approach. .
    Most people who have been victimized by scammers will tell you the same after the fact.

    Are you for real? Why don't you call me up because I sound even more orderly in my approach and I know some places where you can invest your money for a great return!
    Last edited by EagerBeaver; 01-15-2007 at 10:50 PM.

  9. #9
    Veteran of Misadventures
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    13,132
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee
    Its my understanding that the guys in Vegas don't try to pick winners and losers,,,, they set the odds to try to get an equal amount bet on each side....
    That's right, and that's why lines will fluctuate dramatically just prior to the games.

    I went to the UConn-Marquette game last week at which the line immediately prior to tip ascertained by my friend's cellphone was UConn by 8. I have seen all of UConn's game's this year and I also saw Marquette play, and I told my buddy there was absolutely no way UConn, even playing at home, would cover that spread against Marquette. I told my buddy UConn would be lucky to come out with a W and he should immediately jump on that action.

    My buddy, a diehard UConn fan, told me that as a matter of principle he could not put money against UConn, even though he acknowledged it was easy money.

    UConn lost by 4. I still don't understand that spread.

  10. #10
    proud infidel
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    from the civilized world
    Posts
    1,983
    Thanks for the advice, guys
    fml

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by femaleluver2
    Guys,

    not to keep harping on this topic, but the guy did sound orderly in his approach. For example, he said he's not the type to bet on any and every game out there like some of the others so-called experts. He typically bets on only 3 or 4 games over a weekend, deeming the rest of the games too risky to handicap and hence beat the odds. As some of you have suggested, he agrees that the people setting the odds in Vegas are among the very best out there, otherwise, he says, they wouldn't be able to keep their jobs very long. He also mentioned that whenever there's roughly an equal number of betters on both sides of a bet, the Casino makes the greatest amount of money, hence the importance of employing the best sports handicappers out there from a Casino standpoint. He also mentioned that, apart from the occasional NFL and NBA game, there do exist some great money making opportunities in some of the college basketball games. Anyone choosing to use his services is basically entrusting him with his or her money, as he's the sole ''decider'' when it comes to when to bet and which games to bet on. He argues that you can't do his job no more than he can do yours. He says that while you're busy working, he's hard at work reading up on things, doing research, contacting sports insiders, etc, all with the goal of coming up with the best possible selection of potential upcoming bets.
    femaleluver2,

    You are missing the biggest point. If he can really do that well handicapping, he would not need your money. That's the bottom line. These guys are called touts. They are salesman NOT handicappers. The best true handicappers can win just under 6 out of 10 games. Considering the "juice" that the bookies will charge you or the Vegas vig (the 11/10 or 6/5 odds that you get), you will not be able to make much. You would also need to be able to ride through the inevitable losing streaks even the best handicappers go through.

    The guy is a con artist. Please save your money. I can almost guarantee, that if he wanted to challenge me to a public handicapping contest on this board for a full year, I would win. I only say that because I can win about 55% of the time, and I don't think he can.

    AT2

  12. #12
    Veteran of Misadventures
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    13,132
    Quote Originally Posted by AsiaTraveller2
    femaleluver2,You are missing the biggest point. If he can really do that well handicapping, he would not need your money. That's the bottom line. These guys are called touts. They are salesman NOT handicappers. AT2
    BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •