Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More American women living the single life

Cool More American women living the single life

More American women living the single life

(New York- WABC, January 16, 2007) - A new study finds a majority of American women are living the single life.

The change is quite remarkable. In 2005, fifty one percent of women said they were without a spouse. Fifty five years ago, in 1950, only 35 percent said they were not part of a "couple."
    Researchers also found more women are marrying later in life or choosing to live with someone without getting married.

One other note: For the first time, married couples are now a minority in all American households.

The study appears in Tuesday's "New York Times."

More single women in U.S. than married

NEW YORK, Jan. 16 (UPI) -- A new report says 51 percent of women in the United States are living without a husband.

A New York Times analysis of census results found that in 2001, more than half of U.S. women said they were living without a husband, compared to 35 percent in 1950 and 49 percent in 2000, the newspaper said.

The newspaper said women are marrying later or living with unmarried partners. Women are also living longer as widows and delaying remarriage after a divorce, the report said.

The Census Bureau said only 30 percent of black women are living with a spouse, compared with 49 percent of Hispanic women, 55 percent of non-Hispanic white women and more than 60 percent of Asian women.

what about men?

Too bad they didn't reveal the stats for men.

GG

Unrealistic requirements

+ unwillingness to give sex

+ refusal to date outside your race

= no husband

Quote Originally Posted by bond_james_bond
    Unrealistic requirements

= no husband
    You forgot another reason: more and more are preferring to go lesbian. I guess we should blame Ellen Degeneris.

GG
    Last edited by General Gonad; 01-19-2007 at 09:22 AM.

Huh?

Unrealistic requirements

= no husband
    You're kidding right? Higher income and higher education are more likely determinants of women deciding to stay single and independent.
    A demander: une cochonne Quebecoise ou Allemande avec qui le sol se derobe sous mes pieds!

Quote Originally Posted by picasso
    You're kidding right? Higher income and higher education are more likely determinants of women deciding to stay single and independent.
    I think it might be a little from column A AND a little from column B. The study doesnt say these women WANT to be married, just that theyre not. Income and education let them choose the life they want like never before. But after long alot of these women are finding it hard to FIND a spouse. I was surprised looking on match dot com how many of the women who post in my area have masters' degrees.

Working rage-aholic
    Quote Originally Posted by picasso
    Picasso, while I disagree that an unwillingness to give sex (that comes after marriage ) and date outside of one's race are major reasons, you and Bond might be arguing the same thing in different ways. He says some women have unrealistic expectations, and you say it's because of higher income. You might both be right.

Women who get married still marry men who earn more than them, by and large. Women who aren't getting married are the highest income earners. Perhaps part of the reason is an unwillingness-conscious or not-to marry out of their caste system. Maybe it's a princess syndrome-to wit, snobbery. I don't really think it's the latter.

Maybe it's the Miranda Hobbs syndrome, too, where men are intimidated by women who earn more. Maybe, just maybe, it's mutual. Maybe men are too selfish to get married and have kids. Maybe this study is flawed because society is more accepting of couples who live together without being married.

Maybe it would be easier to will oneself gay than to understand the fairer sex. In fact, maybe there's too much thinking and overthinking out there altogether. I'm trying the George W/Stephen Colbert approach-not thinking at all. Look how well it's worked for W. The less I think about the world, the happier I am.
    Last edited by btyger; 01-19-2007 at 03:13 AM.
    Why are homely people discriminated against...we're the majority

proud infidel
    Quote Originally Posted by General Gonad
    More American women living the single life

(New York- WABC, January 16, 2007) - A new study finds a majority of American women are living the single life..
    I find it's somewhat misleading for the report to talk about the ''single life''. Such a term suggests the person is single and free to do whatever she wants, including dating whomever she desires, which, in reality, isn't necessarily the case, as many women can be in long-term, committed relationships without necessarily being married. What this study largely suggests to me is a gradual shying away over the last 50 years from the institution of marriage. Personally I don't give a shit, as I've long considered marriage to be overrated after seeing many of my friends and acquaintances get divorced, depite often grandiose, lavish wedding celebrations.
    fml

Quote Originally Posted by femaleluver2
    Personally I don't give a shit, as I've long considered marriage to be overrated after seeing many of my friends and acquaintances get divorced, depite often grandiose, lavish wedding celebrations.
    Ain't that the truth. My take on this is that more and more people saw their parents get divorced and they fear long-term commitments. Also, pertaining to women in particular, more and more women rely on themselves and do not want to rely on a man to support them financially.

Overdependence on a man leaves them vulnerable if one day he decides to chase after a younger lady because he's "in love". Most of these guys get burned the second time around and then realize, too late, that the grass isn't greener with the younger hotty. Trust me, I've seen it with my own eyes.

So the new woman is more independent and I think this is a good thing. But I am concerned that in embracing this new independent woman, we are forgetting the intrinsic value of the traditional family and being a mom. There is no question in my mind that kids need their mom, even more than their dad, at the younger ages. At one point, women who want to have kids have to make a choice and put their kids first.

As for all the single ones, they're probably deferring child rearing to a later age. But this carries its own set of risks, the biggest one being that you might never experience the beauty of raising a child.

GG
    Last edited by General Gonad; 01-19-2007 at 09:38 AM.

My humble opinion

In my humble opinion, there are really only two reasons to get married in our evolving society. If you want to have children and health insurance.

Unrealistic requirements

= no husband

I think it's just more the unrealistic expecations they have. They're still waiting for Mr. Perfect to come by.... Even though they may be obese, make no money, they still want Brad Pitt.

Quote Originally Posted by johnhenrygalt
    And most of the shy, balding, aging, slightly overweight guys are waiting for a young, slim, fit, beautiful woman with a fantastic personality and a voracious appetite for sex.
    LMAO! So true, if you find them, let me know.

GG

proud infidel
    Personally, I've always considered marriage as being more of a ''girl thing'', as I've noticed that, in general, women seem far more enthralled by the whole idea of marriage than men. This, I believe, is due to marriage providing women with an instant sense of empowerment, far greater than in men, as the bride is now filled with a renewed sense of security knowing that her groom most likely won't be tempted to go out and cheat on her with the first flirtatious bimbo that comes along . On the other hand, men, from their perspective, could be viewed as feeling ''hemmed in'' once they are married, as, sadly, they no longer feel free as a bird to fulfill their instinctive need to spread their seed around . Just food for thought...
    Last edited by femaleluver2; 01-20-2007 at 09:25 AM.
    fml

Of course, women love marriage. It's a get-rich-quick scheme for them.

All they gotta do is wait for the husband to screw up, and he will, and it's alimony checks for the rest of your life.

And you get to screw around with boy toys and gigolos.

Pretty sweet deal.

Quote Originally Posted by femaleluver2
    Personally, I've always considered marriage as being more of a ''girl thing'', as I've noticed that, in general, women seem far more enthralled by the whole idea of marriage than men. This, I believe, is due to marriage providing women with an instant sense of empowerment, far greater than in men, as the bride is now filled with a renewed sense of security knowing that her groom most likely won't be tempted to go out and cheat on her with the first flirtatious bimbo that comes along . On the other hand, men, from their perspective, could be viewed as feeling ''hemmed in'' once they are married, as, sadly, they no longer feel free as a bird to fulfill their instinctive need to spread their seed around . Just food for thought...
    fml2,

I like the way you see things because there is a lot of "biological" truth in your statement. In general, women crave the security that marriage gives them. We can debate whether or not this is a false sense of security but it is there. They want a nest egg and security to be able to raise children, which is an instinctive desire in all women. Men's instinctive nature is to "spread our seed".

Having said this, while biological determinism plays an important role in any relationship, we need not fall into the trap to say that it governs a relationship. Relationships evolve into close friendships where love grows and trumps sexual attraction as the main driver keeping you there. I believe there are lucky couples that have a deep bond based on this type of love.

GG

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast