Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Former Canadiens Great Gump Worsley Dead at 77

Veteran of Misadventures

Former Canadiens Great Gump Worsley Dead at 77

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html

I don't really understand how you can play goalie in the NHL for 20 years without a mask and still have a head on your shoulders.

A pretty damn good goalie and a great guy with a lot of balls.

proud infidel

Question

Quote Originally Posted by joelcairo
    A pretty damn good goalie and a great guy with a lot of balls.
    All of this talk begs the question: Has MTL ever had a bad goalie throughout its years of dominance? Personally, I can't think of any. Which begs another question: Were these goalies really as good as their reputation or did they excessively benefit from playing with a group of all-stars?
    fml

Arrow

Habs goalies:

Habs won their firsts couple of SC in 1916 and 1924.Goalie was Georges Vezina.The guy has a trophy who bares his name on top of beign Hall of Famer.

Habs won SC in 1930 and 1931.Goalie was George Hainsworth another Hall of famer.

Habs won SC in 1944 and 1946 with Bill Durnan,a pionneer who was ambidext and could catch the puck with BOTH hands.He was also team captain for a time.Another Hall of famer.

Habs won the SC in 1953 with Gerry MacNeil as goalie.I'm not sure he's Hall of Fame.

Habs then set the record of 5 staright SC with another great pionneer Jacques Plante.

Habs won SC in 1965,66,68 and 69 with Gump Worsley as top Goalie and Rogatien Vachon in a back-up role mostly.Not too shaby.Both Hall of famer if I'm not mistaken.

Habs won SC in 1971,73,76,77,78, and 79 with Ken Dryden another Hall of Famer.

Habs won SC in 1986 and 1993 with Patrick Roy the last of the great goalie even if controversial.

There you go.
    Last edited by Cosmo; 01-28-2007 at 11:06 PM.

Gerry McNeil and Rogie Vachon are not in the Hall, although Vachon should be. Montreal has always had good goalies even when it didn't have good teams. As for Worsley he was great and he showed it when he finally played for a good team (the 60s Habs). Before that the poor guy was mired in the Hell of New York which was a woeful franchise during the years the Gumper spent there. His numbers there were bad but any goalie's numbers would have been bad with the Rangers at that time. Bad numbers but still a great goalie - one of the four best in the world in those days (alongside Plante, Sawchuk and Hall)

proud infidel
    Maybe if ''Bunny'' Larocque hadn't been behind Dryden during those great years in the 70s, he'd be in the Hall. Who knows? As playing behind Dryden meant the guy was doomed to stay on the bench.

What about these other goaltenders: Heron, Plasse, Hayworth, and some other guy, who came from Edmonton and was behind Roy, whose name I can't remember. And whatever happened to Steve Penny?
    fml

Joelcairo,thanks for the precisions about MacNeil and Vachon.As I said I wasn't sure about them being in the Hall of Fame.
    You,re right,Rogie should be in.
    Femaleluver2,the guy from Edmonton I think it was Doug Soetaert.
    As for ther others,Bunny Laroque was ok but not as good as Dryden,although he could have had no.1 spot in many teams back then.
    Other good goalies spent time on the bench watching Dryden:Michel Plasse,Phylippe Myre,Wayne Thomas,even Richard SEvigny replaced an injured Larocque in the 79 playoffs against Rangers.
    Steve Penney went to Winnipeg,Heron back to Pittsdburgh,Hayward to San Jose,Laroque to Toronto then Philly,Sevigny to Quebec,Wayne Thomas to NY Rangers,Myre to Atlanta then Philly,Plasse to Colorado then Quebec(WHL).
    You guys know thatTony Esposito played for the Habs?
    He did played 13 or 16 games in the late 60's.
    Another Habs goalie HoFamer....

cosmo

proud infidel
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmo
    Femaleluver2,the guy from Edmonton I think it was Doug Soetaert.
    As for
    No it's not, Cosmo. It's more recent than that. I think he once caused a stir when he was forced to play second fiddle to Thibeault and/or Theo, after the P. Roy era. And I believe he once admitted to the media to using stimulants before games, such as certain types of antihistamines. Also, he's somewhat short in stature.
    fml

Veteran of Misadventures
    FML2,

I was told by someone who saw Bunny Laroque play througout the 1970s that he was just an okay goalie which was also noted by Cosmo, and so this speculation that he may have been a Hall of Famer if Dryden did not come up is likely unfounded. It's likely that the the Canadiens would have won a few less Stanley Cups without Dryden who as I recall was MVP of the playoffs at least once.

I loved the Gump Worsley quote that was on the cover of the Gazette... I'm paraphrasing now, but it was along the lines of this:

"Anyone who wears a mask is a chicken. My face is my mask"

They don't make players like that anymore...

I wonder what Gump thought about all of these overpaid prima-donna wanna-bees that fill the NHL these days?

BD

I saw Gump play against the Flyers in Philly many moons ago. It was fascinating to watch him; he looked absolutely nothing like an athlete, but managed to keep the puck out of the net.

Guys like him redefined "balls." Sounds trite, but they just don't make them like him anymore.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by femaleluver2
    No it's not, Cosmo. It's more recent than that. I think he once caused a stir when he was forced to play second fiddle to Thibeault and/or Theo, after the P. Roy era. And I believe he once admitted to the media to using stimulants before games, such as certain types of antihistamines. Also, he's somewhat short in stature.
    Can it be Jeff Hackett???
    Andy Moog???
    Last edited by Cosmo; 01-29-2007 at 07:43 PM.

Andy Moog

Can it be Jeff Hackett???
    Andy Moog???
    I'll bet you it's Andy Moog. He's like 5'9" and that's putting it generously. Plus he was one of the original Oilers until Grant Fuhr supplanted him as the no. 1 goalie there. Moog did help take the Oilers to their first SC finals though they lost to the NY Islanders that year. The only other guy I thought of when I saw this thread now is Ron Tugnutt but he's from the Roy era. He had some problems with Roy in those years.
    A demander: une cochonne Quebecoise ou Allemande avec qui le sol se derobe sous mes pieds!

Gentleman Horndog
    I grew up in Montreal, and I remember all the goalies from Gerry McNeil onward.

My favourite memory of The Gumper was a Saturday night home game in the mid 1960's. I was watching it on TV with my father. I don't remember who the Canadiens' opponent was.

One of the opposition's players picked up the puck near centre ice. Only Habs' defenceman J.C. Tremblay was between that player and Gump. The guy deked J.C. out of his jock strap, skated in on Gump and scored. Gump was furious! As the camera zeroed in on him, Gump charged out of his net right up to J.C.. slammed his stick on the ice, and in a voice that could be heard on the TV over the crowd noise, screamed at J.C., "Open your fuckin' eyes!!"
    May your genitalia never fail ya.

proud infidel
    Andy Moog???
    Exactomundo!!!
    fml

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast