Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bose's surround sound system

Bose is one of the best...................but.

Even with the best, you have to take into consideration the room that you will be putting it in. If you have a lot of glass sliding windows then you will distort the sound. You can aleviate the problem some what by putting a thick curtain in front of the glass when you use you stereo.
    IMHO, If you are looking for a good alternative to place in an home enviorment. I would consider the Yamaha single speaker unit ( with sub-woofer )that directs the sound at the viewer. This would be best for small living rooms especialy if you live in a condo. Check it out online or at Future Shop.

proud infidel

Bose's surround sound system

Does anyone own such a system? I've been hearing a lot about it on U.S. radio, and it would seem to be the greatest thing since sliced bread. However, while the Bose system seems to be very popular in the States, my sense is that it's hardly known in Canada. I even wondered at one point if the company had any retail distributor here at all, but, according to their web site, it seems that they do. Here's a link.

http://www.bose.com/controller?event...bcategory&ck=0
    fml

Best system out there...

I have had several Home theatre systems, Sony, Kenwood, Pioneer to name a few and Bose is by far the best I have owned....it is also the most expensive unfortunatley. But if you can afford it you won't be dissapointed. The Lifestyle 38 and 48 systems allow you store your CD's right on the system, play all in a random shuffle and learns your preference from you skipping songs from time to time.
    Watching a movie is almost like being in the movie theatre.

Retailer

Quote Originally Posted by femaleluver2
    Does anyone own such a system? I've been hearing a lot about it on U.S. radio, and it would seem to be the greatest thing since sliced bread. However, while the Bose system seems to be very popular in the States, my sense is that it's hardly known in Canada. I even wondered at one point if the company had any retail distributor here at all, but, according to their web site, it seems that they do. Here's a link.

http://www.bose.com/controller?event...bcategory&ck=0
    You can find Bose system at Future Shop, Audio Centre in St-Laurent, Dumoulin store on Sherbrooke St. East and Quebecson on St-Denis.

Quote Originally Posted by acco34
    I have had several Home theatre systems, Sony, Kenwood, Pioneer to name a few and Bose is by far the best I have owned....it is also the most expensive unfortunatley. But if you can afford it you won't be dissapointed. The Lifestyle 38 and 48 systems allow you store your CD's right on the system, play all in a random shuffle and learns your preference from you skipping songs from time to time.
    Watching a movie is almost like being in the movie theatre.
    What price range do they go for ?

Here's Bose's Canadian site:

http://www.bose.ca

And the Canadian link from the above US link:
    http://www.bose.ca/controller?event=...bcategory&ck=0
    Clark
    ------
    MOONEY: Sergeant, I swear! Flying! With a big red cape! And bright red boots as well! Then, quick as a wink - he was gone! Flew up in the air again, he did. Like a big blue bird!
    SERGEANT: Like a big blue bird....with bright red boots! Why don't you take the rest of the night off now, Mooney. Go back to Murphy's bar and finish what you plainly started. I'll be off myself in a bit and join ya there...

Bose are high end audio speaker systems, but you will get your money's worth. Years ago I dreamed of owning a pair of Bose 901's but could never justify spending the money for them. They have a great variety of systems and their acoustimass technology delivers amazing bass quality from such small sized speaker systems. Bose have always been masters of putting out great sound quality from incredibly small packages but they aren't for the budget minded.
    And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

No offense to anyone, but Bose is way, way over-rated.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkworm
    No offense to anyone, but Bose is way, way over-rated.
    I was not going to say anything, but since you started, in the world of high-end audio Bose is considered low-fi. Check out the discussion forum at www.audiogon.com.

Quote Originally Posted by LeGuy
    I have to agree. Bose speakers are excellent if you account their sizes. In high-end audio (and sometimes if you believe what women say) size doesn't matter ...
    Actually, size DOES matter. For true bass you need to move a large amount of air, which a small cone cannot do

.....Sound is colored but since many are using for home theater it is less important to be exactly flat.....
    As the sound is colored they are okay for home theater, but less suitable for hi-fi.

..... I own large JMLabs myself and having been a sound engineer I am embarressed having made such a typo
    JMLabs do make nice speakers. I am an engineer too (though not a sound engineer), and own large Martin-Logans.
    Take a look the link I provided about the ETF5 software. Impressive. It does both temporal and spectral analysis and give correction templates for at least one affordable microphone
    Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bee
    What price range do they go for ?
    The Lifestyle48 will run around $4500 and it stores up to 365 hours of music. You could probably get it cheaper off of ebay, that is how I got mine.

I don't know about the technology chef and LeGuy are talking about as it is over my head , but this is the best system I ever had and the sound quality is great to me anyway. Plus the ease of playing your music without having to insert CD's is a real bonus, especially with the LCD screen remote that comes with the Roommate speaker, an addition to the system that is a wireless speaker you can put anywhere in your house with great sound quality and no crackling noice like most wireless I tried in the past.

Bose is a running gag and the object of ridicule on most high-end A/V forums. Bose is certainly not high-end. I mean if Future Shop sell it...

Acco34,

You have discovered the golden rule of audio systems: If it pleases you it is OK.
    I concur.

BOSE isn't by far ultra high-end audio, my pair of JMLabs cost more than double of the entire BOSE system but you know what? You might have the same level of enjoyment with your system as I have with mine. Matter of tastes and experience. I, and suspect Chef did too, listened to many sound systems in so many rooms and to so many live bands that my tastes changed.
    I too have spent insane amounts of money on audio, and am still looking for the nirvana I experience in a concert hall listening to a symphony orchestra. And yes, that has shaped my tastes.

.......... Even Best Buy have them. It is a very affordable to get the maximum of your investment
    I would like to add that we make some great small speakers in Canada. Check out Totem, Paradigm, etc.

Acco34,

You have discovered the golden rule of audio systems: If it pleases you it is OK. BOSE isn't by far ultra high-end audio, my pair of JMLabs cost more than double of the entire BOSE system
    Exactly, like I said, what you guys were talking about was way over my head and I presume most average joes head as well as mine/their wallet But with what I can afford, which is the Sony, Kenwood, Pioneer, Bose of the world, I found this one the best for me. I very seldom listen to music real loud and it mostly gets used for movies.
    It is somewhat like picking out the perfect SP....everyone's taste/budget is different.

I strongly suggest that you experiment with different speaker locations in the room. Just for fun. You'll be amazed at the difference. Room acoustics is extremely important and also why, sometimes, your brand new speakers won't sound as good in your house than they were sounding where you bought them. You can also buy a test DVD. Even Best Buy have them. It is a very affordable to get the maximum of your investment
    The system comes with an ADAPTiQ audio calibration system headset, which is suppose maximize your sound quality to the area you usually sit, but I will try the test DVD to see if it would make a difference. Thanks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast