Thread: Cricket - I know I'm really stretching here

Cricket - I know I'm really stretching here

OK, OK.

That's right, not an SP named Cricket but the sport.
    It's the fastest growing sport in Canada.
    First, football (soccer), now cricket, has Redstorm lost it.

Just finished watching West Indies put up a reasonable score against Pakistan.

They are my favourite team, with India and England following.
    I never liked Australia but they are favourites to win thew World Cup.

Wondering if there is any other closet Cricket fans. I've been a fan for 8 years and going. Baseball and cricket are two different sports. I'm not even going to say which is a better sport. I know I would be shot down so fast.

It's going to be a very interesting month, Champions League Soccer, the NCAA Basketball tournament and now the World Cup of Cricket.

Hopefully I will be able to sneak in a trip to Montreal soon and see someone special again.

When there's nowhere but up, it's easy being one of the top "growing" sport.

Going from 20,000 to 20,001 is not a great % growth, while going from 2 to 3...a whole other story...

What a boring sport... Hockey rules

I'm a budding cricket fan. I didn't know the first thing about the sport until a few years ago, when I played it on a visit to Barbados. Played it again in India recently and I'm hooked--love it.

Do you know if there are any good places in Montreal to see the World Cup? Would love to catch a match or two if it's possible.

Don't really know about Montreal

Sorry, I'm not from Montreal.

The only possible places would be bars in Indian, West Indian or Pakistiani neighbourhoods I guess.

I'm watching it through cable via a package. You can get the entire series for 170 dollars. They show the games live and then repeat them at night.

Great match yesterday with West Indies winning.

Today Canada verus Kenya and Australia versus Scotland.
    It'll be interesting considering Kenya was a suprise semi-finalist at the last World Cup.

Cricket, it's different. I never played ice hockey in my life so I can't say anything.

proud infidel
    from the civilized world

''If you thought of cricket as a marginal sport, you're wrong'', C. Gravenor

There's actually a 50-team cricket league in Montreal spread over 6 divisions
    (scroll down to about mid-page)

cricket rules!

proud infidel
    from the civilized world
    '' The first cricket matches in Canada were played right here in Montreal, on Ile Ste-Hélène in 1785. British soldiers had introduced the game in Canada in 1759, playing it on the Plains of Abraham. Half a century later, in 1844, the sport had grown to the point that Canada played the world's first international cricket match against the Unites States.

By confederation, cricket was so popular that Sir John A. Macdonald, Canada's first prime minister, declared it the country's national sport .''

Montreal Gazette, January 22, 2007