proud infidel

Thumbs down Desire Munyaneza apparently got his ass kicked in prison today

MTL's crime against humanity trial

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070327...l_070327040943
    fml

proud infidel
    Quote Originally Posted by the_rock70
    Doesn't he pitch for the Red Sox?
    No... he's not Theo's latest steal... Here's a link to witness testimony this week that highlight just how brutal this guy's crimes actually were.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/0...genocide_trial

And the following is the official story about today's prison beating:

http://www.canada.com/victoriatimesc...cdc0d4&k=12505
    Last edited by femaleluver2; 04-12-2007 at 09:11 PM.
    fml

Working rage-aholic
    Quote Originally Posted by the_rock70
    Doesn't he pitch for the Red Sox?
    That ain't funny. I don't like that.

It's not funny that the judge apologized to him, either. I don't feel bad if this guy is guilty. He commited atrocities and if he's convicted, I hope he gets this kind of treatment on a regular basis. Yeah, we're real sorry for your trouble, you poor, gentle man. And the nerve of his lawyer calling for action against the guards. Is there a more thankless and dangerous job than prison guard to begin with? Now they have to protect murderers and rapists from abuse?
    Why are homely people discriminated against...we're the majority

proud infidel
    Quote Originally Posted by btyger
    It's not funny that the judge apologized to him, either.
    Yeah, I was also surprised about that. I wonder whether the judge would have said the same thing if the defendant's name had been ''Mom'' Boucher...
    fml

the man is innocent until proven guilty thats the beauty of our system

proud infidel
    Quote Originally Posted by voyageur11
    You're right about that. Maybe I'm jumping the gun a little bit...
    fml

Working rage-aholic
    Quote Originally Posted by voyageur11
    If he's innocent, I'm sorry...technically, given the assumption of guilt, I can understand the judge's apology. But if he's convicted, nothing that happens to him can be worse than what he's already done to other innocent people.

Mired in the red dust.
    It's not funny that the judge apologized to him, either. I don't feel bad if this guy is guilty. He commited atrocities and if he's convicted, I hope he gets this kind of treatment on a regular basis. Yeah, we're real sorry for your trouble, you poor, gentle man. And the nerve of his lawyer calling for action against the guards. Is there a more thankless and dangerous job than prison guard to begin with? Now they have to protect murderers and rapists from abuse?
    If he's innocent, I'm sorry...technically, given the assumption of guilt, I can understand the judge's apology. But if he's convicted, nothing that happens to him can be worse than what he's already done to other innocent people.
    btyger, wasn't it you that posted a link about a month ago to a document about rape in the US prison system? I read the document and found it very compelling.

here is the post and link I am referring to:
    I could do this to survive in extreme circumstances...I bet most people could
    As far as prison goes, this site should scare anyone out of crime
    http://www.hrw.org/reports/2001/prison/report.html
    Most awful thing I've ever read, and I take this from it-if you ever go to jail, beat the daylights out of someone within 24 hours. Beat them to within an inch of their life, or until the guards stop you, beating the crap out of you, too-it's no guarantee against rape, but it'll discourage others somewhat, and maybe it'll get you solitary Solitary doesn't look so bad
    In a way, doesn't your statement that "He commited atrocities and if he's convicted, I hope he gets this kind of treatment on a regular basis" imply the same mindset present in the widespread attitude that rape inside the prison system is somehow acceptable because an inmate has been found guilty of a crime?

I'm not familiar with the details of this man's alledged crimes, but having watched and read "Shaking Hands with the Devil" and also having spent two years in Africa, I can well imagine what these crimes entail. Nevertheless, I was distressed and embarrassed when I saw the report on the beating last night on Radio Canada. Canada has taken it upon itself to try people for crimes against humanity committed in other countries. While I agree with this decision, I also consider it an immense responsibility that must be carried out with the highest degree of justice and transparency. Do you imagine that this trial in Montreal isn't being followed closing in Rwanda and probably also in European capitals? What message does it send to those in charge of African prisons that even in Canada a defendant can be severely beaten while in prison awaiting trial? Earlier this week there were reports that Simon Mann, the Britain who is being held in Zimbabwe in relation to an attempted coup in Equatorial Guinea, is close to death because of torture. He still hasn't been tried. Others being held in Equatorial Guinea in relation to the same coup have already died.

For this reason, I feel we need to resist kneejerk reactions that "he got what he deserved" and instead consider how damaging such an incident could be.
    Last edited by Fat Happy Buddha; 04-14-2007 at 12:14 AM.

Working rage-aholic
    I suppose you're right, FHB. But in that link I posted, it's noteworthy that most of the men getting raped in prison are in for non-violent crimes. This guy, if guilty, committed unspeakable acts against men, women and children, raping, killing and destroying lives.

Even though I admit you're right, it feels wrong to feel sorry for this guy. Protecting him from others somehow seems like better than he deserves. I'd feel very differently if he were in jail for credit card fraud...it's hard not to have the kneejerk reaction you speak of. Awful hard for jurors, too, I imagine...

Mired in the red dust.
    I suppose you're right, FHB. But in that link I posted, it's noteworthy that most of the men getting raped in prison are in for non-violent crimes. This guy, if guilty, committed unspeakable acts against men, women and children, raping, killing and destroying lives.

Even though I admit you're right, it feels wrong to feel sorry for this guy. Protecting him from others somehow seems like better than he deserves. I'd feel very differently if he were in jail for credit card fraud...it's hard not to have the kneejerk reaction you speak of. Awful hard for jurors, too, I imagine...
    I understand how you feel, believe me. After my experiences in Africa, my personal theme song became "If I had a Rocket Launcher."