Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hobbying and Blood Donation

Mired in the red dust.

Hobbying and Blood Donation

Yesterday, in the course of doing a little research for a comment I made in another thread, I came across the websites of the Canadian Blood Services and Hema-Quebec. I was surprised to find that due to the fact that I've had malaria I am not an eligible blood donor.

From what I've been able to understand, it seems that sex-workers, those who engage in high-risk sex and those who fall into various other classifications are also not eligible.

I was wondering if any members take their hobbying into consideration when deciding whether or not to donate blood.

Anyone who has had sex with a prostitute is not allowed to give blood for at least a year. In some jurisdictions, the ineligibility is for life.

There is also a lifetime exclusion for any man who has had sex with another man.

As your blood is going to someone else, I dont think you can make the decision not to disclose it. It might result in them not accepting your blood, but that is there choice. You should disclose it, embarassing as it might be, or not give blood... right now, I am not giving

Calgary

I have a very good 29 year old single girlfriend who lives in Calgary and just because she is single and has had sex occasionally throughout the year, she is not allowed to donate blood. Even if the sex was protected.
    Smile and the world will smile with you

That is unusual... must be more to the story, cause the questionnaire, as I recall it, would not exclude that

thats what we figured

Calgary is more conservative and we figured the lady was just being a pain. A 29 year old single girl over there HAS to be a big whore. I don't mean to offend anyone here but I did find that strange and unjust.
    Smile and the world will smile with you

Mired in the red dust.
    I wonder if the Canadian blood collection agencies aren't over-compensating after the HIV and Hep-C debacles of the 1990s. According to the US Red Cross, there is a three-year waiting period following treatment of malaria before blood donations will be accepted, but in Canada it appears to be a lifetime ban.

Also, I noticed that anybody who has spent more than a few months in Britain or six months in Europe since 1980 is also ineligible to donate.

You're a hobbyist or ene if you get alot of action on your own. You take care and precautions and you get tested regularly. If you are strict with that and test results are negative for all items on the list, then donate. If you don't do all of this and you donate blood, you are reckless as far as I am concerned.

England is a mad cow issue....

Quote Originally Posted by quirky
    England is a mad cow issue....
    Hey

Yeah, a BUNCH of things will disqualify you. For me, it was a number of weeks spent in France (again because of Mad Cow). The "have you paid for sex" question was there too last time I checked.

So, I don't give blood and don't plan on lying during the interview process.

RandyOne

What I think is stupid is that someone who hooks up every weekend with a new one nighter is allowed to donate to Hema-Quebec;
    But someone who has protected sex once with a prostitute is banned for life, same goes for men who might have had 1 covered gay sexual encounter even if it was 10 years or more ago...
    Also while these people are banned, their heterosexual partners are not.

To me the proper question would be have you had sex without a condom with a partner of possibly unknown status for HIV and STIs within the past 6 months (since nothing takes more than 6 months before it would be detectable in the blood)

Moreover, they test each and every donation.

IMHO, it is discriminatory.
    Especially since there are many who are excluded from donating who want to, and are clean, while Hema-Quebec is in constant need of blood.

Ronnie,
    Naughtylady
    They will forget what you said,
    they will forget what you did,
    but they will never forget the way you made them feel.

Name Retired.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Happy Buddha
    I wonder if the Canadian blood collection agencies aren't over-compensating after the HIV and Hep-C debacles of the 1990s. According to the US Red Cross, there is a three-year waiting period following treatment of malaria before blood donations will be accepted, but in Canada it appears to be a lifetime ban.

Also, I noticed that anybody who has spent more than a few months in Britain or six months in Europe since 1980 is also ineligible to donate.
    Hello Fat Happy Buddha,

I realize there are certain assumptions about what constitutes risk in our societies and certain activities seem to carry a stigma of impurity with them that separates those involved from so-called more moral people. But it has always been strange to me how we can presume those portions of the population who don't fall under the defined "risk" labels are presumably safer to allow to participate in such vital services as blood donations. Sure it is sensible to be careful about those who have been in higher risk contact, or at least activities presumed to be more risky. But from what I know about the population at large, and especially some individuals who are not banned because they have not engaged in branded activities, I wouldn't feel better about receving blood from them than a guy who spent 20 years visiting with SPs. I know those who are so hedonistic and debauched I wouldn't feel safe smelling their breath. As for the general population there doesn't seem to be much difference these days from the greater portion of them to the worse SP or hobby client at times. Such is the irony of trying to protect the masses from those of greater risks.

Isn't it funny,

Korbel

PS

Contact me by PM soon...your box is full.

Quote Originally Posted by naughtylady
    What I think is stupid is that someone who hooks up every weekend with a new one nighter is allowed to donate to Hema-Quebec;

No they're not. They ask you if you've had one night stands in the last year (through the question "do you know the sexual history of the people you've slept with in the last year")

Quote Originally Posted by naughtylady
    Moreover, they test each and every donation.
    Even after 6 months, the tests have a false negative percentage (ie: an error rate). They ask those questions to minimize the risk to people who receive blood.

Quote Originally Posted by roxanna
    you could just say no to the questions a still be able to give blood, if in your opinion you are entitled to.
    No one is entitled to give blood!

Being a tattoo artist, I do not have the right to give blood for life,
    I think that's incorrect. First, tattoo artists are not banned, people who have received a tattoo are banned. And I don't think it's for life, but just for one year. Your kids are not banned at all unless they've had tattoos in the last year.

I do understand that they are being carefull, but like I said, people could lie and still give blood. I mean, they are not going to strip me naked to see if Im tattooed right? Oh what the hell....
    The questions are there to reduce the risk to a minimum. People who receive blood often have their immune system in a very weakened state. They need all the help they can get. Please don't make a political statement by gambling with their lives.

Name Retired.

Unreal.

I do understand that they are being carefull, but like I said, people could lie and still give blood. I mean, they are not going to strip me naked to see if Im tattooed right? Oh what the hell....
    Hello Roxanna,

Are you just making an observation or making a suggestion? Anyone making a suggestion that donors might just hide their risky behavior knowing it increases the danger to those receiving blood is making an extremely irresponsible statement and I just don't undertsand how such a thing could seem justified or even rational to anyone.

Geeeeeez,

Korbel
    Last edited by korbel; 07-15-2007 at 04:35 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast