Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Habs off season thread: free agents, trades ...etc

Habs Fan

Thumbs down Habs off season thread: free agents, trades ...etc

Bob wasn't able to land any big fish free agents yesterday (was hoping for Briere) but made a nice pick up with Hamrlik ($3 million a year, 4 years) - I also like the fact Bob didn't overpay since some team will throw crazy money ( 6 mill) at Souray

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=212551&hubname=
    Bière Froide, Cold Beer! Tricolore jusqu'au bout!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oI_ll-k_zzI
    Les Canadiens sont là!

Hramerlik,I suppose is better than nothing,but in the light of the last few Sc champions,I thought he'd go for North American players.Smolinski,is a washed off player.I doubt the Habs have a better team with those two in the line-up.

Some of the contracts that have been signed are insane! C'mon...52 Million for Briere? And there's a salary cap? I'm damn glad the Habs didn't go for that kind of deal.
    And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Habs Fan

Exclamation

The initial terms were wrong, its not $12 million for 4 years its $$$ 22 million for 4 years!!! I hope Bob knows what he is doing but it doesnt matter, I see the Habs making the post season and a long playoff run for Nos Glorieux
    Last edited by gohabsgo; 07-03-2007 at 12:05 AM.
    Bière Froide, Cold Beer! Tricolore jusqu'au bout!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oI_ll-k_zzI
    Les Canadiens sont là!

Smolinsky

I see him as a solid 3rd liner. His numbers last year were 44 points, 18 goals. Not bad for a 3rd liner and a definite upgrade over Bonk.
    A demander: une cochonne Quebecoise ou Allemande avec qui le sol se derobe sous mes pieds!

Hamrlik

I think the signing of Hamrlik pretty much signals the end of Souray's tenure with the Habs. Souray apparently turned down Habs' offer of $5.5M per year. Gainey then inked Hamrlik for the same amount. Hamrlik is a much better defensive player than Souray. Expect him to log plenty of TOI with Markov next season to anchor the Habs blue line. This move is a definite upgrade on defense for the Habs and as we saw with the Anaheim Ducks, outstanding blue line defense gives you the chance to win the SC.
    Last edited by picasso; 07-03-2007 at 01:16 AM.
    A demander: une cochonne Quebecoise ou Allemande avec qui le sol se derobe sous mes pieds!

Not too late for that big free agent signing... My wish list for the Habs: Vinny LeCavalier, Teemu Selanne.

Retired veteran hobbyist
    Quote Originally Posted by Techman
    Some of the contracts that have been signed are insane! C'mon...52 Million for Briere? And there's a salary cap? I'm damn glad the Habs didn't go for that kind of deal.
    I couldn't believe the contracts Schneider & Gomez got. Schneider is nearly 40 years old & Gomez is a 13 goal scorer, for gosh sakes!! I'm starting to think that the Leafs got a bargain when they signed Jason Blake for 5 years at $20 million.

Nothing against Briere, but next year, at 10 millions he will be the NHL's highest salary.Correct me if I,m wrong.

Retired veteran hobbyist
    Quote Originally Posted by picasso
    Not too late for that big free agent signing... My wish list for the Habs: Vinny LeCavalier, Teemu Selanne.
    Lecavalier? He's not even a free agent. Selanne? He's likely to retire from hockey. If he doesn't, he's likely staying in Anaheim. As for the Habs, i don't see them making the playoffs next year. They didn't improve themselves. They haven't replaced Souray's goal scoring & the loss of Rivet on defence. Hamrlik is a good defenceman.....but he's no Souray. Smolinski? His best years are behind him & i don't consider him an upgrade over Bonk. The Habs lived on the powerplay last season & Souray was a major contributor to that fact. With his big shot & ability to score a thing of the past, the Habs' powerplay will be very average at best. Their goaltending will be better with Price & Huet between the pipes, but you need to score goals to win games. As for the Islanders, they're even worst off than the Habs, having lost the likes of Smyth, Blake, Poti, Hill, Kozlov & Yashin. The Leafs have improved themselves by adding Toskala, Bell & Blake. I see the Leafs in 7th or 8th place next season, with the Habs & Isles fighting for the 9th or 10th spot. Mark my words!

Retired veteran hobbyist
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmo
    Nothing against Briere, but next year, at 10 millions he will be the NHL's highest salary.Correct me if I,m wrong.
    Last year, Briere had a career season & didn't even get 100 points. I don't see him repeating last season's exploits with the Flyers. But he'll be a good fit with that team, considering all the young talent that they have & he'll be looked upon not only for his goal-scoring, but for his leadership. They hope his enthusiasm & experience will make the other kids even better. I predict a very strong season for the Flyers....they might even challenge the likes of Ottawa, Penguins & Rangers for top spot in the conference. Don't forgot....they now have a potential great goaltender on board in Martin Biron, who was a large factor in Briere signing with the Flyers over Montreal. He & Briere are very good friends. As for the Devils, they're likely to slump. The substraction of Gomez & Rafalski will hurt & Brodeur isn't getting any younger. They better hope he doesn't go down for a long stretch. And the Senators? They didn't improve themselves & lost some players to free agency, but the core of their top players remain. They'll likely re-sign Ray Emergy & will hope to trade Gerber away to get rid of his considerable salary (same as the Leafs with Raycroft). Wade Redden will have to considerably improve on his play in order to justify the huge contract they gave him last season. As of now, he's pretty much been a bust since he was handed that fat contract. It's debatable on whether or not the loss of Muckler will affect the team. How will the team look if Bryan Murray doesn't go back behind the bench? Oh, so many questions.....

Souray

Souray can become a net asset for the Habs if he gets picked off by an Eastern Conference team. The astronomical amount of money Souray will be offered can only weaken a team's competitiveness.

Souray is a cheater. Last year, he choose not to keep with his team responsibilities to focus only on power play stats and polishing his Hollywood-type image, a clear indication that 2006-2007 was strategized in anticipation of making the big bucks on the West Coast.

Sure enough, Souray's big slapshot achieved stardom status for him. Other than that, he's a -28 player, a liability in his end zone and not much of a team player.
    Last edited by z/m(Ret); 07-03-2007 at 12:58 PM.

Hamrlik -vs- Souray

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday
    Hamrlik is a good defenceman.....but he's no Souray.
    Great if he's not! Souray managed to trick many fans and GM's into believing that he's a top defenseman, whereas he has little to show besides a big slapshot, perhaps the league's biggest.

With the kind of money Gainey would need to dish out in order to keep flash-in-the-pan Souray aboard, Habs are way better off with Hamrlik.

Montreal has the largest seating capacity in the NHL and, despite their lack of success on the rare occasions they are invited to the playoffs, sell out during the regular season. There is therefore little incentive for them to improve from the boring losers they are and will continue to be.

Quote Originally Posted by picasso
    This move is a definite upgrade on defense for the Habs and as we saw with the Anaheim Ducks, outstanding blue line defense gives you the chance to win the SC.
    A Markov/Hamrlik tandem, as good as it sounds, does not compare with Niedermayer/Pronger, let's get real here. Niedermayer/Pronger last year's combined totals are way above Markov/Hamrlik's: 128 pts -vs- 87; 28 goals -vs- 13; +33 -vs- +24; 17 PP Goals -vs- 6; 54:35 mins per game -vs- 48:20.
    Last edited by z/m(Ret); 07-03-2007 at 12:56 PM.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast