View Poll Results: Are you still in favour of Canada's combat mission in Afghanistan?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

21 55.26%
  • no

17 44.74%
  • not sure or no opinion

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are you still in favour of Canada's combat mission in Afghanistan?

proud infidel

Are you still in favour of Canada's combat mission in Afghanistan?

1- yes

2-no

3- not sure or no opinion
    fml

No... (I won't comment, I don't want to get banned yet )

I usually read "Le Monde Diplomatique" (unbias).
    North American media can be deceitful at times.

vodka236

I think we should continue to support the forces of moderation in that country. I just wish the other NATO countries (specifically France, Germany, etc.) would pull their own weight.

Exclamation

I do support canadian army and the sacrifice their doing.
    But, putting canadian/american lives and using our own
    taxes to fight for a small country "dirty" war.

The same small country as done this before :

U.S.S. Liberty (8 june 1967).

This same country apologize and agreed to pay $6 million. In reality, the
    American tax dollars was already paid from countless millions in aid that
    it received in 1980 from the U.S.

Mossad: "Kee betachbulot ta'ase lecha milchama"
    Translated from hebrew: "By way of deception, thou shalt do war."

Ok, i'll stop here. Awaiting ban.

Emperor of Earth
    Afganistan and Iraq have turned into another Vietnam. I was all in favour of both wars when they started, but it's obvious that there is no clear objective. We are at war, but we are careful where we fight. We want to win, but we are not at full force. We will do whatwe have to do to win, but we''l operate sergically.

For fucks sakes if we operated the same way during WW2 as we are now, there's no doubt that we would be goose steping right now. We are more concern about improving our image tothe people of the Middle East, bringing democracy to an area of the world that knows nothing of it and securing lucrative contracts for big business than we are about stamping out therror groups or winning.

Time to pull out the troops as this is now a war we can't win.
    All hail Emperor BDC aka Napoliano Peter Greatzetski Czaro.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoneAlarm
    I find Anderson Cooper is pretty good. I saw some stuff he did and that guy has balls. His parents so rich he would never have to work yet he is a reporter going in the infested waters of New Orleans, isreal with with rockets behind him Africa, that guy earned my respect as a reporter.

Your right Afganistan is not as bad as Irak but it remains none the less a lost cause. I know someone who is down there a friend of mine and he had to come back because of injury you should hear how sick and demented the people down there are putting bombs on kids and telling them to go run after a tank and blow themselves up. People dont do that animals do. People are defined by logic well their is no logic in doing that just instinct. They have set a date for a Pull out and im happy i hope it stick. As to honoring are commitment we have already been there for quite a number of years was it in 2001? thats what 6 years almost 7. When exactly are NATO going to do something down there and take over? I think we did are part if they want to help fine send medics and diplomats.
    Before my release from the force, I had buddies that came back and was
    traumatized by what they saw, they had to go to some kind of therapy
    session before they go back to their real life.

vodka236

Quote Originally Posted by Equanimity
    Good call, because that post would be called racist by most.
    Equanimity,

Ok, it's a controversial subject. By respect, I removed my post.
    The book was banned in the USA. It can be find in other countries.

vodka236

Emperor of Earth
    For me a clear cut objective is what was needed. Are we going to war or just a run of the mill police action? If it's war than we should have gone in full force, bomb the hell of the nation, get our enemies by all means nessary (forget the Geneva Convention), take over compleatly and not worry about what the locals might think of us since they already hate us and now thanks to the fuck ups, they hate us even more. Why do we pussy foot with
    Al-Quida, the Taliban, the PLO and etc? What's the good of being a powerful giant in the millitary scene if we're going to be the Gental Giant?

ZoneAlarm:
    You make some great points about Bush. He thought these people were backwards, stupid and inferior in every way and now that we found out differently, we are ill prepared. The British made the same mistakes with the Japaneese during WW2 where they were clouded with stereotypes and a sense of soperority and it cost them the empire in the Pacific region.
    All hail Emperor BDC aka Napoliano Peter Greatzetski Czaro.

Retired veteran hobbyist
    What a waste of lives! I've never been for sending Canadian troups to Afghanistan & never will. It's not a winnable situation & more lives will be lost. I also don't believe we belong on Islamic (or Arabian) soil either. I can't see the extremists ever disappearing & the longer we remain there (same story with the Iraq catastrophe), the more we'll serve as recruitment tools (and target practice) for the terrorist groups. Is it really about protecting the population from the Taliban anymore? I doubt it. Even though barbaric, quite a large number of the Afghan population actually enjoyed life under the Taliban regime since they drove away the various war lords who weren't much better & were as vicious. Now, we're cooperating & even helping out these same war lords!

Anyways, that's my take on the situation & I'm sick & tired of not seeing any positive results & constantly receiving bad news about more Canadian soldiers getting killed nearly every day. Wasn't it these same Talibans that were welcomed in Texas with open arms back in the late 90's until 2001? Why is it that the terrorist acts of 9/11 suddenly made these same Talibans into the bad guys? Weren't they always really the bad guys in the first place? Was the fact that they were willing to be part of an oil deal with US oil companies make them okay & they were tolerated? What a bunch of bullshit!

proud infidel
    Interesting to note that our in-house poll results so far are pretty in line with a recent nationwide survey that suggested people are pretty evenly split 50-50 on the issue.
    fml

This may be off topic, but US is never going to leave either Iraq or Afganistan. When the US wins a war with its army its forces stay in that country.

All the troop Iraq withdrawl news that you may hear about in the news channels basically imply troop reduction. US will always keep its troops in Iraq.

I am pro war. I know that many people may not like my statement, but there are some really sick people out there in the world and having troops in that region (Afganistan and Iraq) is a good idea. The biggest challange is to minimize the cost and casualties.
    Last edited by Big Daddy; 07-19-2007 at 12:04 AM.

We should pull out all our troops and let the Taliban and Bin Laden take over the country again.

Then they can resume their public executions and rebuild their terrorist training camps.

When they attack us again, maybe the USA will go for the simple solution this time and turn the entire country into a glow in the dark parking lot.

... in order, to protect/defend their home land !?
    ... that's why intelligence service around the world is for (CIA/MI6/etc...).
    ... these agencies work in the dark, do recon, infiltrate and bring back intel.

vodka236

Quote Originally Posted by Kepler
    We should pull out all our troops and let the Taliban and Bin Laden take over the country again.

Then they can resume their public executions and rebuild their terrorist training camps.

When they attack us again, maybe the USA will go for the simple solution this time and turn the entire country into a glow in the dark parking lot.

Why not? It's not our fucking country. You can't rebuild these places in the image of western democracies. It will never fly. Leave the fuckers alone and
    let the country develop as it will. The people deserve the government they get. Then someday, if the people rise up and fight the government, then we
    can send in covert agents to assist them.

A Russian friend of mine, who is old enough to have served in Afghanistan, and did, said the Afghanis were sick madmen. They would decapitate, mutilate, and skin the dead Russians, then hang them from trees.

The English tried; the Russians tried; Nato tried. All doomed to fail.

BTW, I'm not entirely convinced the Taliban did 9/11. There are other parties out there who have as valid a motive as any to initiate a war against the Muslim world. For the enemies of Islam, 9/11 was a gift. Now America is fighting their wars.

And no, I don't believe the official version of 9/11. If one plane slammed into a tower, maybe....but two successful hits? If only one tower fell, maybe...but two successful collapses almost perfectly down into their footprints? Nope, sorry....don't buy it. And especially the Pentagon hit; this place should be the best defended piece of real estate in the world. There should be advanced secret jet fighters, engines on 24/7, strategically placed around the country, ready to intercept and neutralize any air threat in minutes. The Pentagon should be guarded by advanced secret missles.
    Nothing should be able to penetrate Pentagon airspace.

Reichstag in my opinion.

The simple truth is that America is a crack whore....a big, huge, well armed crack whore. Oil is her crack and she has almost none of her own. She will do anything to get it. Anything.

America's losing the financial war, though. The American dollar has lost its prestige. Oil producers are demanding payment in currencies other than the dollar. If America isn't careful, she'll bankrupt herself with war, just like the
    Soviet Union did.

I've lost a tremendous amount of respect for America. It's to the point where I have a very, very negative attitude towards this rogue nation. I refuse to visit this country ever again, and I try to minimize purchases of American made products. I try my best not to contribute to the murder of innocent Iraqis. Yes, I use fuel, but I have a fuel efficient car. Yes, I heat my home, but I heat it with wood. I'm trying to make a difference, in my own little miniscule ways.

If you ask me, Russia's not the new international villain, America is. We're just too similar to Americans, and too brainwashed by their media, to accept the reality that they are the Nazis of the 21st century. If America gets much bolder, expect a Russian/Chinese alliance to stand up to her. I wouldn't scoff at a Russian/Chinese alliance; untold millions of soldiers; a trillion dollars to buy resources with; a huge manufacturing capability than can be retooled from dollar store shit to military hardware relatively overnight; Russian military hardware (like the Sizzler missle which can neutralize any American ship); unlimited Russian oil and gas. Wow, if America forces those two into a military alliance against it, look out!

JMFO.
    Last edited by alfonso; 07-19-2007 at 09:14 AM.

I think all US wants is to sit in Afganistan and Iraq so that these countries are not taken over by terrorist organizations. What the world expects is for US to solve problems in Afganistan and Iraq. It is not upto US to solve their problems, so this thing is going to continue unless Afgan or Iraqi government solve their own problems.

Afganistan and Iraq gives militants an objective, which is drive US out of these places to show they are winning. This objective keeps the terrorists from coming up with other objectives such as attack US and Canada. US will stay in these countries even 20 years from today, so regardless of how hard terrorist try or even how hard US citizens try to get their elected officials to vote the military to get back home, total elimination of US forces from these countries is not going to happen. At best, US senate will do is "all night" debate on the issue.

The use of children and even medical doctors in UK shows the desperation of the terrorist organizations. While it will take long to change the radical philosphy, it will happen over time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast