View Poll Results: What should the NFL do to Michael Vick if found guilty?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Give him a hefty fine

1 2.78%
  • Give him a hefty fine and a penalty

4 11.11%
  • Suspend him for one year

6 16.67%
  • Suspend him for life

25 69.44%
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What should the NFL do to Michael Vick if he's found guilty?

What should the NFL do to Michael Vick if he's found guilty?

In case some haven't heard about the federal charges brought against Michael Vick...here's an interesting article about what the Falcon's owner should do even before the outcome has been decided.

If Vick is found guilty...what should the NFL do in response?

Veteran of Misadventures
    Breadman,

The charges against Vick carry with them a maximum possible 6 years imprisonment if he's convicted, although I think it unlikely he would get such a sentence. But if he is imprisoned obviously he won't be able to play football irrespective of what the NFL does.

The NFL will not take any action against Vick pending allowing of the case to run its course through the legal system. We have already seen what happens when you don't allow a case to be tried in the Courts with the Duke lacrosse players. Duke University suspended the players, and were later sued by the players when they not only had charges against them dropped, but were also declared innocent by the North Carolina AG. Duke was then forced to pay out a big settlement to these kids.

I have read the indictment against Vick. Most of it alleges that his co-conspirators carried out executions of the dogs except one incident that Vick was allegedly involved in. It sounds like some of the government's witnesses were guys who participated in the dogfights themselves. It was a gambling venture more than anything else so I suspect some of the witnesses may have axes to grind. These guys were likely threatened with prosecution if they did not cooperate, and were likely pressed for info on Vick in particular. I am a bit skeptical about the government's case against Vick pending the credibility of these witnesses being established in Court. It's very easy to get a bunch of unchallenged statements from witnesses, and it is quite another thing for those statements to hold up at trial under the duress of a withering cross examination.
    Last edited by EagerBeaver; 07-19-2007 at 08:04 PM.

EB, think the first two paragraph's of the article I linked tells it all. It took place on his property, while he attended. If he should luck out and escape serious jail time, he should be banned for life from any professional sports.

So let me get this straight. People who think Michael Vick is "innocent'' of any involvement with dogfighting believe that Vick could have visited the Smithfield, Va., house he owned at any time over the past six-plus years and never noticed anything slightly suspicious about the activities going on there.

They believe Vick could have overlooked the dog-breeding "rape stand'' that federal authorities discovered on the property, or the blood stains that dotted the walls of those five black-painted buildings in the backyard? They contend that Vick was oblivious to what his friends and cousin were doing with those car axles buried in the ground, and those treadmills and syringes, and that piece of bloodstained carpet?

Veteran of Misadventures
    Breadman,

I am not ready to prejudge this case, as it sounds like there have been some issues with the prosecution including from what I read one prosecutor on the team refusing to seek renewal of a search warrant. That tells me something may be amiss with this case. There is a tendency for people to decide cases based on what they read in the media and as we saw in the Duke lacrosse player prosecution, it's sometimes a mistake to do that.

If Vick is convicted, he probably will be suspended for a long period of time and possibly life, and he may also go to prison. If he is acquitted, the NFL will be hard pressed to do anything in my estimation. The NFL has already said publicly they are waiting to see what happens in Court, so what is the point of that statement if they want to do something else?

Veteran of Misadventures
    Daringly,

See my post above. I already gave my opinion on what will happen if there is a conviction. What we have right now is an indictment by a grand jury which alleges a bunch of things against 4 different guys. An indictment is basically allegations. A trial will determine what should be done with these defendants. Some of them may plead guilty, if the government's case is as strong as they have led us to believe. We'll have to wait and see what happens.

Please note that the Duke lacrosse players were also indicted. The case never went to trial, charges were dropped and the AG declared the defendants innocent. Duke was sued for suspending two of the players, and was forced to pay out money for wrongfully suspending them. Moral of the story: don't let cases get tried in the media - try them in Court.
    Last edited by EagerBeaver; 07-19-2007 at 08:50 PM.

proud infidel

screw you, MV!

If this guy is in fact guilty of cruelty to animals and having committed the alleged atrocious acts, I hope he gets his ass thrown in jail and gets banned by the NFL. He's not even a good QB anyway .
    fml

I question the need for the nfl to get involved with what should be a matter between Vick and the criminal justice system. If he goes to jail and can't show up for work, then don't pay him.

People like Vick are a disgrace to the human race, it takes a sick person to watch dogs try and kill each other, i find it disgusting that a millionaire with a college degree decides to spend his money by bank rolling a dog fighting ring, that to me is a very sick person.

proud infidel
    Quote Originally Posted by chowhound
    I question the need for the nfl to get involved with what should be a matter between Vick and the criminal justice system. If he goes to jail and can't show up for work, then don't pay him.
    You don't think the NFL would have an image problem if it turned a blind eye to what he's alleged to have done?
    fml

Warning these videos are disturbing, it is a CBS in depth look at pitbull dog fighting and as a proud owner of a pitbull myself who i love to death i hope that Vick rots in hell because he really is a scumbag, i hope he suffers a career ending injury that causes him a lot of pain just like the pain that these dogs suffer.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/...=mostpop_story

Quote Originally Posted by Joe.t
    Warning these videos are disturbing, it is a CBS in depth look at pitbull dog fighting and as a proud owner of a pitbull myself who i love to death i hope that Vick rots in hell because he really is a scumbag, i hope he suffers a career ending injury that causes him a lot of pain just like the pain that these dogs suffer.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/...=mostpop_story
    For once I agree with you Joe T. Vick is such scum that he even makes Jeff Reardon (!) look okay in comparison!

What should the NFL do ? Put him in a ring with hungry Pitbulls at the superbowl halftime show.

proud infidel
    Quote Originally Posted by joelcairo
    For once I agree with you Joe T. Vick is such scum that he even makes Jeff Reardon (!) look okay in comparison!
    I believe Reardon was going through depression and grief when he had his troubles, so there's no comparison. MV is probably another one of those classless, overpaid, bling-wearing bums from the hood .
    fml

Name Retired.

Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by Joe.t
    People like Vick are a disgrace to the human race, it takes a sick person to watch dogs try and kill each other, i find it disgusting that a millionaire with a college degree decides to spend his money by bank rolling a dog fighting ring, that to me is a very sick person.
    Hello all,

I totally agree...however. In my view there is a basic jurisdiction problem here. As reprehensible as Vicks involvement in the dog fighting atrocity is, it is not an NFL issue...as far as I know yet. Despite the fact that Vick now carries a highly tarnished image, unless he has some sort of morals clause in his contract, Vick has not done anything to make his game performance or integrity directly questionable as a player. Vicks crimes are a civil legal matter for which he will probably be amply punished. That forthcoming resolution will definitely impact on him as a player, but the NFL should not presume it can act on any offense by a player that has not directly impacted on his game or is not covered by provisions in his contract. There are ample avenues for legal redress of Vicks actions without NFL involvement. Unless NFL jurisdiction is legally spelled out in this case it should let the civil authorities do their job without trying to overlord themselves into the morality of a player due to actions that did not involve his duties and responsibilities solely as a player. Martha Stewart supposedly payed for her crime without her show or corporate sponsors prosecuting her. The same should go for Vick.

Let it play out in civil court,

Korbel

Lets just all hope that Vick rots in hell, he even sounds and looks stupid, ever hear him in a interview?, 2 bits says he flunked the wonderlic test because he is too stupid to pass, it's too bad that this guy can run a 4.4 forty and throw a football 70 yards because if it wasn't for these talents he would either be in jail or dead by now which is where he deserves to be.
    Last edited by Joe.t; 07-21-2007 at 04:16 PM.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast