Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2007-2008 NHL Predictions

Veteran of Misadventures

2007-2008 NHL Predictions

I picked up the Hockey News Magazine 2007-08 Yearbook. They are predicting that the Anaheim Mighty Ducks will repeat as Stanley Cup Champions, although they have Detroit as the top rated team in the Western Conference. Their reasoning is that Jiggy is the best money goalie in the NHL, meaning he performs best when the games mean something.

In the East, they pick Ottawa 1st and the NY Rangers 2nd. Toronto is picked 11th, Montreal an embarrassing 13th and the Boston Bruins a woeful 15th and last in the East. Pittsburgh is picked 4th. It would appear that there will be no playoffs for Toronto, Montreal or Boston in 2007-08. Montreal and Boston are both given team grades of D+ on talent; only the Phoenix Coyotes, picked last in the west, have worse rated talent with a grade of D-.

The Hockey News Magazine Yearbook rates Sidney Crosby as the best player in the NHL. They have a top 50 list of the best players in the NHL, with Crosby at #1.

Interestingly, the Sporting News NHL preview picks Pittsburgh to defeat Detroit for the Stanley Cup.
    Last edited by EagerBeaver; 09-22-2007 at 03:45 PM.

i dont think montreal canadian will win the stanley cup but i thing they will make the playoff.this year they have speed and great defence...the offence this year is going to be the big question??????????

Smile 2007-08 NHL Predictions

Too many teams have major holes.

In the east only Ottawa,NYR,Buffalo,Pittsburgh and NJ can be considered as play-off quality teams. The remaining teams are iffy - question of avoiding injuries, young players stepping-up and veterans not losing it.Goaltending will also be the issue for the iffy teams.

In the west only Anaheim despite playing without Scott Niedermayer and Teemu Selanne,SJ,Detroit,Minn,seem like play-off teams. The others can go either way mainly for the same reasons as listed above.Coaching will also be an issue - Calgary being an example where Keenan either brings a team together or as his recent history,shows loses the team.

Habs Fan

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by EagerBeaver
    In the East, they pick Ottawa 1st and the NY Rangers 2nd. Toronto is picked 11th, Montreal an embarrassing 13th and the Boston Bruins a woeful 15th and last in the East. Pittsburgh is picked 4th. It would appear that there will be no playoffs for Toronto, Montreal or Boston in 2007-08. Montreal and Boston are both given team grades of D+ on talent; only the Phoenix Coyotes, picked last in the west, have worse rated talent with a grade of D-.
    I agree with all those picks except I see the Habs making the playoffs – finishing in 7th or 8th in the east – and Toronto and Boston having another losing season. I also see Bob addressing the talent situation by swinging a deal or two.
    Bière Froide, Cold Beer! Tricolore jusqu'au bout!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oI_ll-k_zzI
    Les Canadiens sont là!

Retired veteran hobbyist
    Quote Originally Posted by gohabsgo
    I agree with all those picks except I see the Habs making the playoffs – finishing in 7th or 8th in the east – and Toronto and Boston having another losing season. I also see Bob addressing the talent situation by swinging a deal or two.
    Dream on! You have it backwards: Toronto will squeeze into 7th or 8th spot & there's no chance in hell that the Habs make the playoffs. They are just terrible! As for Bobby, who the hell does he have that anyone else would want to take off his hands?

Agreed Doc. Even the Leafs have a chance to make the playoffs but the Habs are already dead in the water.

Veteran of Misadventures
    I agree with all those picks except I see the Habs making the playoffs – finishing in 7th or 8th in the east –
    GHG,

I have read multiple OBJECTIVE, expert NHL forecasts by publications like the Hockey News, Sporting News, etc. whom I pay to read because of their said objective and expert commentary. Nobody has Montreal even sniffing the playoffs. The Hockey News rates Montreal's talent as D+ which ties for worst in the Eastern Conference with NYI and Boston. So maybe your pick is not really an objective pick but rather wishful thinking?

Most of the "experts" have Philadelphia as the most improved team in the NHL... I predict that they have knowhere to go but up!!!

On a serious note, I think the devils will drop from contention as Marty is getting too old to carry them.

Buffalo has a lot to make up for in loosing Briere and Drury.

Which leaves the Rangers, Penguins, and Senators at the top of the food chain. Pensonally I don't think the Penguins have the defense to win anything and the Rangers are getting old.

Which leaves the Senators as the team to beat.

With all that said... any team can advance in the playoffs so just get there!

as long as the bruins beat the habs in all this seasons matchups between the two ..ill be very happy!!

I got a lock, a sure bet, a gaurantee...ready?
    THE BOSTON BRUINS WILL SUCK!!!
    I am a Boston guy, and I know it'll be an aweful season...grrrrrrr! The worst job in the world is...A Bruins ticket scalper...lol
    The Teacher

Veteran of Misadventures
    Quote Originally Posted by The Teacher
    I got a lock, a sure bet, a gaurantee...ready?
    THE BOSTON BRUINS WILL SUCK!!!
    Both the Hockey News and the Sporting News agree with you. If it is any consolation, the Sporting News predicts that Montreal will suck even worse. Later on I will post some specific comments on these teams from these publications, which provide objective analysis for the casual hockey fan like me.

Veteran of Misadventures
    Quote Originally Posted by jackd1959
    Most of the "experts" have Philadelphia as the most improved team in the NHL... I predict that they have knowhere to go but up!!!

On a serious note, I think the devils will drop from contention as Marty is getting too old to carry them.

Buffalo has a lot to make up for in loosing Briere and Drury.

Which leaves the Rangers, Penguins, and Senators at the top of the food chain. Pensonally I don't think the Penguins have the defense to win anything and the Rangers are getting old.

Which leaves the Senators as the team to beat.

With all that said... any team can advance in the playoffs so just get there!
    The Hockey News rates Philadelphia 9th in the East, just missing the playoffs. Considering they were 15th last year, that is certainly great improvement.

Regarding the Penguins, the Hockey News ("HN") notes that they lack a "shutdown" defenseman. However, they picked up Darryl Sydor, former Stanley Cup champion, and both HN and the Sporting News ("SN") are very high on their young offensive minded defenseman, Kris Letang, who is a Montreal native by the ways.

HN picks the Senators as the team to beat in the East, whereas SN picks the Penguins to win the Stanley Cup.

Regarding Daniel Briere, Montreal is harshly criticized for failing to sign him in the SN. The SN points out, how do you let a team that finished 34 points behind you sign the player you absolutely had to have? The suggestion made by SN is that Montreal is simply not an attractive city to play in for the money hungry NHL free agent, even if they sell out all their home games and lead the league in attendance. According to SN, Montreal has had to settle for "serviceable" players such as Smolinski and Hamrlik, and it just isn't enough to get them over the hump.

The Hockey News hammers the Bruins, picking them 15th and last in the East. HN notes that Chara and Bergeron had horrible seasons last year and there is hope that they can rebound. HN also questions the acquisition of goalie Manny Fernandez due to his recurring knee issues. The biggest problems for the Bruins is that their revolving door approach on defense did not work last year, and the lack of discipline (7th in NHL in penalties) was atrocious. Also noted is the lack of a puck moving defenseman who can quarterback the power play. The bright spot is that they have a talented young group of centers and forwards.

The Maple Leafs are picked just ahead of the Canadiens and Bruins. HN notes they were one of the slowest teams in the NHL last year and "often appeared as if they were standing in quicksand" when playing against the likes of speedy forwards like Briere. However, HN really likes the move to land Toskala in goal.
    Last edited by EagerBeaver; 09-25-2007 at 09:55 PM.

Habs Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by EagerBeaver
    GHG,

I have read multiple OBJECTIVE, expert NHL forecasts by publications like the Hockey News, Sporting News, etc. whom I pay to read because of their said objective and expert commentary. Nobody has Montreal even sniffing the playoffs. The Hockey News rates Montreal's talent as D+ which ties for worst in the Eastern Conference with NYI and Boston. So maybe your pick is not really an objective pick but rather wishful thinking?
    I doubt that these so called “experts’ are objective – isn’t the Hockey News a publication out of Toronto?

I looked it up - here is their mailing address:

The Hockey News
    25 Sheppard Ave.
    Suite 100
    Toronto, ON
    M2N 6S7

So there is already a pro-Leafs and anti-Habs bias built in to their so called analysis.

How did the so called experts at the Hockey News and the Sporting News do last year with their predictions? … yeah, that’s what I thought – they predicted Edmonton and Carolina would repeat in the Stanley cup Finals – except they both missed the playoffs … i.e. they got it all wrong! Well, they’ve got it all wrong this year. Carbo will have Nos Glorieux back in the post season, followed by a long Cup run.

GO HABS GO !!!
    TRICOLORE JUSQU'AU BOUT !!!
    Last edited by gohabsgo; 09-26-2007 at 01:56 AM.
    Bière Froide, Cold Beer! Tricolore jusqu'au bout!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oI_ll-k_zzI
    Les Canadiens sont là!

Veteran of Misadventures
    I doubt that these so called “experts’ are objective – isn’t the Hockey News a publication out of Toronto?

I looked it up - here is their mailing address:

The Hockey News
    25 Sheppard Ave.
    Suite 100
    Toronto, ON
    M2N 6S7

So there is already a pro-Leafs and anti-Habs bias built in to their so called analysis.

How did the so called experts at the Hockey News and the Sporting News do last year with their predictions? … yeah, that’s what I thought – they predicted Edmonton and Carolina would repeat in the Stanley cup Finals – except they both missed the playoffs … i.e. they got it all wrong! Well, they’ve got it all wrong this year. Carbo will have Nos Glorieux back in the post season, followed by a long Cup run.

GO HABS GO !!!
    TRICOLORE JUSQU'AU BOUT !!!
    You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. The Hockey News analysis on the Canadiens is written by Herb Zurkowsky of the Montreal Gazette. Furthermore, The Sporting News, which is not even a Canadian based publication and is based in Charlotte, NC, has the Canadians sucking far worse than the Hockey News does. As between the two, which both have the Canadiens sucking big time, you have a consensus analysis which does not come from Toronto.

You can also add ESPN to the list of experts who say the Canadiens will suck. ESPN, which is based in Bristol, CT, provides an online analysis which says the Canadiens are "stuck in neutral" while other Eastern Conference teams have improved themselves:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/previe...e=nhlpre07/mon

Bottom line, all 3 of the above publications says the Canadiens offense is pathetically weak and they are going to struggle to score. The only question that exists is who will suck worse, the Habs or the Bruins. Let the race for the Eastern Conference cellar and the #1 overall draft pick begin!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by EagerBeaver; 09-26-2007 at 10:39 AM.

I vote for the African huggies, there set to win the cup and maybe a saucer too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast