Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Annoying Problems With New Board Software

Veteran of Misadventures

Thumbs up Annoying Problems With New Board Software

I have noticed at least two annoying problems since the updating of the Board software:

1. I can no longer log in automatically. Each and every time I come on to MERB I have to enter my username and password, even when clicking "remember me" on my own computer. Never had this problem before (since 2003). This is ridiculous.

2. I have tried posting links and somehow the software is changing the posted link so that it is different from the actual link you copied and pasted. The result is the reader then clicks on a bogus link. I tried twice posting wikipedia links which work anywhere else in the Internet but not here. This is ridiculous.

Is anyone else having these problems?
    Last edited by EagerBeaver; 11-10-2007 at 04:06 PM.

I remained logged in the entire time. Haven't tried posting any links though.

no problem for me . i posted a link and it was ok .

Veteran of Misadventures
    I am being logged out automatically every time I leave the site, even though I have clicked "remember me." Could it be my browser causing these problems? Only had these problems since the Board maintenance was done.

Click on this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palsgra...nd_Railroad_Co.

You will see it says there is no wikipedia entry on the Palsgraf case. There is! When I copied the link the software changed the link without my permission. Just google Palsgraf and you will see the link in wikipedia.

This is bullshit!
    Last edited by EagerBeaver; 11-10-2007 at 03:38 PM.

Veteran of Misadventures
    The link I posted above is not working!!!!! Here is what it says when I click on it:

"Wikipedia does not have an article with this exact name. Please search for Palsgraf v. Long Island Railroad Co in Wikipedia to check for alternative titles or spellings.

Start the Palsgraf v. Long Island Railroad Co article or add a request for it.
    Search for "Palsgraf v. Long Island Railroad Co" in existing articles.
    Look for pages within Wikipedia that link to this title."

Maybe you have a virus EB...EVerything's working fine for me, including the link you posted.

Renowned SATIN DREAMZ SatinDreamz's Avatar

test2

Ok, I see ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palsgra...nd_Railroad_Co.

Palsgraf v. Long Island Railroad Co
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    • Interested in contributing to Wikipedia? •Jump to: navigation, search
    Look for Palsgraf v. Long Island Railroad Co on one of Wikipedia's sister projects: Wiktionary (free dictionary)
    Wikibooks (free textbooks)
    Wikiquote (quotations)
    Wikisource (free library)
    Commons (images and media)
    Wikinews (free news source)
    Wikipedia does not have an article with this exact name. Please search for Palsgraf v. Long Island Railroad Co in Wikipedia to check for alternative titles or spellings.

Start the Palsgraf v. Long Island Railroad Co article or add a request for it.
    Search for "Palsgraf v. Long Island Railroad Co" in existing articles.
    Look for pages within Wikipedia that link to this title.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Other reasons why this message may be displayed:

If a page was recently created here, it may not yet be visible because of a delay in updating the database; wait a few minutes and try the purge function.
    Titles on Wikipedia are case sensitive except for the first character; please check alternate capitalizations and consider adding a redirect here to the correct title.
    If the page has been deleted, check the deletion log, and see Why was my page deleted?.

But we should get this:

Palsgraf v. Long Island Railroad Co.
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    • Have questions? Find out how to ask questions and get answers. •Jump to: navigation, search
    Palsgraf v. Long Island Railroad Co.

New York Court of Appeals

Argued February 24, 1928

Decided May 29, 1928

Full case name: Helen Palsgraf v. The Long Island Railroad Company
    Citations: 248 N.Y. 339; 162 N.E. 99; 1928 N.Y. LEXIS 1269; 59 A.L.R. 1253
    Prior history: Judgment for plaintiff, Kings County Supreme Court, May 31, 1927; affirmed, 222 A.D. 166 (N.Y. App. Div. 1927)
    Subsequent history: none

Holding
    Defendant could not be held liable for an injury that could not be reasonably foreseen. New York Supreme Court, Appellate Division, reversed and complaint dismissed.
    Court Membership
    Chief Judge Benjamin Cardozo
    Associate Judges Cuthbert Pound, William S. Andrews, Frederick Crane, Irving Lehman, Henry Kellogg, John F. O'Brien

Case Opinions
    Majority by: Cardozo
    Joined by: Pound, Lehman, Kellogg
    Dissent by: Andrews
    Joined by: Crane, O'Brien

Palsgraf v. Long Island Railroad Co., 162 N.E. 99 (N.Y. 1928), was a decision by the New York Court of Appeals (the highest state court in the New York) written by Chief Judge Benjamin Cardozo, a leading figure in the development of American common law and later a Supreme Court justice. Palsgraf is a landmark in tort law that helped establish the limitations of negligence.

Contents [hide]
    1 Facts
    2 Opinion of the court
    3 Dissenting opinion
    4 Influence of the case

[edit] Facts
    A passenger carrying a package, while hurrying to catch and board a moving Long Island Rail Road train, appeared to the railroad's (Defendant's) employee to be falling. The employee attempted to help the passenger and caused a package the passenger was holding to fall on the rails. Unbeknownst to the employee, the package contained fireworks, and the employee's effort to help caused the package to explode. The shock reportedly knocked down scales at the other end of the platform (although later accounts suggest that a panicking bystander may have upset the scale), which injured Mrs. Helen Palsgraf (Plaintiff). Palsgraf sued the railroad, claiming her injury resulted from negligent acts of the employee. The trial court found for Palsgraf (Plaintiff) by verdict from a jury, Long Island Rail Road appealed the judgment

Ok so let's not panic and say about it !
    Last edited by SatinDreamz; 11-10-2007 at 03:56 PM.
    Best Personal Regards, Legendary *Peter SD*
    * Experts for pleasure and discretion
    Call From 9AM-11pm, Monday through Sunday - 514.223.0325
    www.satindreamz.ca - peter.satindreamz@hotmail.com

Veteran of Misadventures
    Maxima,

The link I copied and pasted should take you to what you posted in reply #10 and what Satin Dreamz posted in #9. Instead, it is taking you to the bogus link that you (#11) and SD alluded to. Somehow, between the copying and pasting, the Board software is messing with my link without my permission.

I tried rebooting and I am still being automatically logged out. This never happened since July 2003 when Fred updated V bulletin and at that time I had the same thing happen with my prior computer. It would not let me log in at all. I had to have Fred start a new Eager Beaver account and about 500 or 600 posts had to be deleted.

At SK's suggestion I am running my anti-virus software right now, in case I have one.
    Last edited by EagerBeaver; 11-10-2007 at 04:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxima
    Or do you get the following instead?

Wikipedia does not have an article with this exact name. Please search for Palsgraf v. Long Island Railroad Co in Wikipedia to check for alternative titles or spellings.
    I was getting this one but was just fucking with EB.

Quote Originally Posted by EagerBeaver

At SK's suggestion I am running my anti-virus software right now, in case I have one.

Quote Originally Posted by EagerBeaver
    Maybe you could run an anti-Special K too !

Sorry SK, this one was to easy !

Quote Originally Posted by SatinDreamz
    Maybe you could run an anti-Special K too !

Sorry SK, this one was to easy !
    Hahaha...I'm bored on a Saturday afternoon...what can I say?

Quote Originally Posted by Maxima
    EB,

I think this has to do with the option you have set up on your browser. Go to Internet Options and fix it.

And how can I do that cause seem I have the same problem

clown of many colors
    1) No problems with remaining logged in so far...

2) If you add a . at the very, very end of that link, it's worked just fine for me. Otherwise, wikipedia gives me a stern frown and says, "Nuh uh, try again."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palsgra...d_Railroad_Co.
    Man, you gotta Go.

I am having the same problem with not staying logged in like EB. Havent tried posting links yet though

Veteran of Misadventures
    Quote Originally Posted by rollingstone
    I am having the same problem with not staying logged in like EB. Havent tried posting links yet though
    RS,

This same shit happened back in July 2003, and Fred Zed, if you are reading this, I am sure if you remember back in July 2003 I could not log in when you had updated V Bulletin and you had to cancel my account, delete my posts and start a new account. This time if we have to do it again we are going to lose about 4300 posts so I hope the technology is better in 2007...................

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast