Thread: Boutique hotels

Vladimir

Boutique hotels

For my upcoming April visit, I was thinking of steering away from the assembly line big name hotels and treat myself to something more architecturally elegant. Looking at what is listed at Expedia I found the following boutique hotels:

Le Saint Sulpice
    Hotel Place D'Armes
    Nelligan Hotel
    Hotel St Paul
    Chateau Versailles

They all seem to be located around the old port area, except the last one. Am I missing any others? Something a bit more contemporary perhaps?

Any thoughts on picking one, or should I just move from one to the other over a period of 5 nights?

Banned
    Those are all nice choices, I would also add Le Germain on Mansifield (www.hotelboutique.com) Hotel Gault-old montreal(www.hotelgault.com) and the W hotel(whotels.com) will be open in May, there is also the hotel St.James but it is very expensive and traditional.
    enjoy
    rolo

Small Member
    I've often stayed in the Chateau Versailles on Sherbrooke. They have nice suites with a big jacuzzi. Very comfortable. Not particularly central to any action. The restaurant downstairs used to be La Maitresse which I always thought appropriate. I think its closed now. I got some great rates there.

-- Hugh

The Longest Title in MERB
    Originally posted by HughMaineATM
    I've often stayed in the Chateau Versailles on Sherbrooke. They have nice suites with a big jacuzzi. Very comfortable. Not particularly central to any action. The restaurant downstairs used to be La Maitresse which I always thought appropriate. I think its closed now. I got some great rates there.

-- Hugh
    I could be mistaken but wasn't La Maitresse located at Le Meridien Versailles, the former Hotel Versailles located across the street from Chateau Versailles.
    I used to be schizophrenic, but we're OK now.

Banned
    April should be a decent month rate wise, as the festivals(and unfortunately the warm weather has not yet kicked in)
    If you decide to stay in old montreal, restaurants in walking distance could include at the Hotel St.Paul Cube is quite good, as well as 'S" at the St.Sulpice albeit a bit pricey-my fav in that area would have to be Da Emma for regional Italian located in what used to be a womens prison-Soto is also good for Sushi/Japanese
    Enjoy
    Rolo

W Hotel?

Hi. Has anyone stayed at the W Hotel (901 Square Victoria) in Montreal? I'm thinking of reserving one of their Mega Room and not sure if it's really worth the 239 CAD a night price. Thanks!

I tried using "w hotel" in search but keep getting only "hotel."

W Hotel

I have stayed at the W Hotel. I got it for 4,000 Starwood points plus US$60. Worth $239? Yes, if you have the money to blow.

A very nice hotel with some unique features. Modern-decorated rooms. There is a curtain separating the sleeping area from the bathroom (no door), but with a "voyeur" cutout in the bathroom wall so you can see into it. Large bathroom, with a deep tub; toilet did have a door. The king bed was comfortable, but I just did not get on well with the comforter (woke up in a cold sweat a couple of times).

I stayed there a Saturday night and the bar scene was really hopping (and very loud).

The down side:
    - room key access to the elevators at all times
    - only valet parking, at $40/day
    - Voss designer bottled water in the room, at $8 for, I think, 500ml !!
    - the restaurant was overpriced. Food and service were unimpressive. Reason I ate there was that a free martini and appetizer were included in the price of the room.

I was back in town for 1 day a few weeks ago for a golf tournement and stayed at the Nelligan - very nice and will probably make it my hotel of choice when I'm in town.

My favorite Btq.hotel is The Hudson in NYC (actually my favorite hotel period) and recommend it to others heading down (or up) to New York.
    Try everything in life at least once, except incest & maybe square dancing.