View Poll Results: Is the current New Yorker magazine cover an outrage or or good journalism?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it's outrageous.

    9 47.37%
  • No, it's good journalism.

    7 36.84%
  • It depends on who is looking at it and what they already think.

    3 15.79%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 59

Thread: New Yorker Magazine: Outrage or Good Editorial?

  1. #1
    Name Retired.
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Her Hot Dreams
    Posts
    2,417

    New Yorker Magazine: Outrage or Good Editorial?

    Hello all,

    http://www.cnn.com/feedback/forms/form5.html?83

    Have you seen the latest cover of New Yorker magazine? Barack Obama is dressed as a Muslim, his wife looks like a Muslim radical with a huge afro, there is a portrait of Osama Bin Laden about the mantle, and an American flag is burning in the fireplace. I pass by magazines every day that I see but never read. For me, the picture is the message! No matter what the explanation is inside, everyone who sees the this cover is going to perceive Barack Obama as a Muslim, and his wife as an armed radical or a supporter of Bin Laden bent on terrorizing the West. In my view what the New Yorker has done is grossly slandered the Obamas by setting this image the minds of everyone who receives the shock of this cover, and given political aid to opponents as well as reinforced the current ignorance, bigotry, and outright racism that exists against him. Since at least 95-99% of those who see the cover will never read the explanation the New Yorker insists actually defends Obama, the the message imprinted on the impressions of those who see it will be that Barack Obama is in league with or sympathetic to terrorists. What do you think?

    I say...Outrageous,

    Korbel


    Outrageous,
    Korbie: of the Boston Red Sox Nation...the NBA Champion Boston Celtics Pride...and...the New England Patriots Dynasty!

  2. #2
    Recreational User
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    In a house, on a street, duh.
    Posts
    1,443
    Quote Originally Posted by Korbel
    Hello all,

    http://www.cnn.com/feedback/forms/form5.html?83

    Have you seen the latest cover of New Yorker magazine? Barack Obama is dressed as a Muslim, his wife looks like a Muslim radical with a huge afro, there is a portrait of Osama Bin Laden about the mantle, and an American flag is burning in the fireplace. I pass by magazines every day that I see but never read. For me, the picture is the message! No matter what the explanation is inside, everyone who sees the this cover is going to perceive Barack Obama as a Muslim, and his wife as an armed radical or a supporter of Bin Laden bent on terrorizing the West. In my view what the New Yorker has done is grossly slandered the Obamas by setting this image the minds of everyone who receives the shock of this cover, and given political aid to opponents as well as reinforced the current ignorance, bigotry, and outright racism that exists against him. Since at least 95-99% of those who see the cover will never read the explanation the New Yorker insists actually defends Obama, the the message imprinted on the impressions of those who see it will be that Barack Obama is in league with or sympathetic to terrorists. What do you think?

    I say...Outrageous
    I say wonderful parody and sarcasm.
    You are cordially invited to toss my salad. There's an app for that!

  3. #3
    Name Retired.
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Her Hot Dreams
    Posts
    2,417
    Quote Originally Posted by YouVantOption
    I say wonderful parody and sarcasm.
    Damn YVO,

    You did that in 3 seconds after I posted. What a trigger finger.

    WHEW!

    Korbel
    Korbie: of the Boston Red Sox Nation...the NBA Champion Boston Celtics Pride...and...the New England Patriots Dynasty!

  4. #4
    Juvenile Satire!
    The New Yorker continues to portray him as a Muslim terrorist
    It will only serve to steel his resolve and garner more support
    Some of the depictions of George Bush were just as critical

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by seymourhass
    Some of the depictions of George Bush were just as critical
    I recall the totally false depictions of Bush that he had to suffer through... they showed him as a man of intelligence, flexibility and wisdom.

  6. #6
    Recreational User
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    In a house, on a street, duh.
    Posts
    1,443
    Quote Originally Posted by seymourhass
    Juvenile Satire!
    The New Yorker continues to portray him as a Muslim terrorist
    It will only serve to steel his resolve and garner more support
    Some of the depictions of George Bush were just as critical
    The New Yorker is one of the preeminent left-wing magazines on the planet. In fact, one of my favourite journalists, ironically given the poster, Seymour Hirsch, is one of their writers.

    I think the satire is evident enough that the readers will get the joke.
    You are cordially invited to toss my salad. There's an app for that!

  7. #7
    Name Retired.
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Her Hot Dreams
    Posts
    2,417
    Quote Originally Posted by YouVantOption
    The New Yorker is one of the preeminent left-wing magazines on the planet. In fact, one of my favourite journalists, ironically given the poster, Seymour Hirsch, is one of their writers.

    I think the satire is evident enough that the readers will get the joke.
    Hello YVO,

    I have Barack Obama with some people of at least reasonable intelligence and half of them thought he was Muslim and that he took an oath on the Koran. I don't mind biting satire. But since a minute percentage of those who see this will actually read it, it will amount to an atrocious deception. Perhaps the media intensity this cartoon has received will calrify who he really is. There is already vigorous discussion about how different he is from the depiction. But too many will probably miss the clarification and continue in their misperception. Overall, I think the New Yorker cover will deepen the mistakes instead of enlightening the truth.

    Bad idea,

    Korbel
    Korbie: of the Boston Red Sox Nation...the NBA Champion Boston Celtics Pride...and...the New England Patriots Dynasty!

  8. #8

    Redemption

    Quote Originally Posted by Dee
    I recall the totally false depictions of Bush that he had to suffer through... they showed him as a man of intelligence, flexibility and wisdom.
    I was referring to the characterizations of him during his days in a drug/alcohol induced haze. By all accounts he gave up the lifestyle and turned his life around.

    I found those political cartoons to be childish and not at all humorous. Everybody has a past and it takes a strong character to recognize their weaknesses and try to correct them.

  9. #9
    Name Retired.
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Her Hot Dreams
    Posts
    2,417
    Quote Originally Posted by seymourhass
    I was referring to the characterizations of him during his days in a drug/alcohol induced haze. By all accounts he gave up the lifestyle and turned his life around.

    I found those political cartoons to be childish and not at all humorous. Everybody has a past and it takes a strong character to recognize their weaknesses and try to correct them.
    Hello Seymourhass,

    Personally, I have no such issues against John McCain. I just hate the hacks in control of the Republican party like the unelected actual President Karl the Regent Rove.

    Dee...FUNNY!

    Cheers,

    Korbel
    Last edited by korbel; 07-14-2008 at 06:43 PM.
    Korbie: of the Boston Red Sox Nation...the NBA Champion Boston Celtics Pride...and...the New England Patriots Dynasty!

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Korbel
    Hello Seymourhass,

    Personally, I have no such issues against John McCain. I just hate the hacks in control of the Republican party like the unelected actual President Karl the Regent Rove.

    Dee...FUNNY!

    Cheers,

    Korbel
    Curious to see satire on the McCain’s
    Apparently his wife Judy also had an issue with drugs
    Makes for an interesting run up to the election

  11. #11
    Its just good political satire.

  12. #12
    I agree with YouVantOption 100% and I'm glad that we (still) live in place where intelligent satire is permitted, and understood by many people. The knee-jerk reaction to throw fists up in the air and scream that this is somehow "outrageous" without understanding the writer's intent (which incidentally can be gleaned from the first three paragraphs) or the "idea" driving the article is exactly what the author was hoping for. It's a sad commentary on people's ability to think for themselves. I have the issue on my desk and am looking forward to reading the rest of it.

    Anyone who reads the New Yorker knows that it's VERY leftward leaning. Why in the world would they want to demonize their own candidate?? Makes no sense? They are trying to dispell the stereotypes, not enforce them!

    Crazy..... but expected.

    BD

  13. #13
    Recreational User
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    In a house, on a street, duh.
    Posts
    1,443
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Dover
    Anyone who reads the New Yorker knows that it's VERY leftward leaning. Why in the world would they want to demonize their own candidate?? Makes no sense? They are trying to dispell the stereotypes, not enforce them!

    Crazy..... but expected.

    BD
    Indeed.

    here's the cover

    http://www.newyorker.com/images/2008..._2008_p154.jpg

    Here's the piece: http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2...1fa_fact_lizza
    You are cordially invited to toss my salad. There's an app for that!

  14. #14
    Name Retired.
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Her Hot Dreams
    Posts
    2,417
    Hello all,

    Frankly, I don't care if the magazine's politics is to the political left or the right. It's an outrageous cartoon. As I said: anyone who doesn't read the article is going and doesn't know the truth about Obama or is seeking to learn more about him will get a slanderously deceptive impression, and 95-99% of those who see it won't read it. Who is the New Yorker's buyers anyway? Do they think the average...cell phone blabbering...burger chomping...coffee addicted...Enquirer yearning public is actually going to take time to read it. Not many. But it will be seen easily. If the intent of the New Yorker was improve the public's accurate knowledge of Barack Obama by using this cartoon to motivate further reading, then they will probably do more damage than good for him.

    Also, listening to a conservative commentator on CNN I have to totally agree with him. If any conservative publication had put this cartoon on their cover they would have been lambasted as malicious dogmatic racists. No conservative concern would have dared and I don't think any magazine can justify this cartoon even if they are "Liberal". In my view, they are rationalizing it's use as satire because it is more profitable than an another cartoon option. It's just wrong.

    Bad choice,

    Korbel
    Last edited by korbel; 07-14-2008 at 08:46 PM.
    Korbie: of the Boston Red Sox Nation...the NBA Champion Boston Celtics Pride...and...the New England Patriots Dynasty!

  15. #15
    A rare moment of agreement!

    The New Yorker says it's satire. It certainly will be candy for cable news.

    The Obama campaign quickly condemned the rendering. Spokesman Bill Burton said in a statement: “The New Yorker may think, as one of their staff explained to us, that their cover is a satirical lampoon of the caricature Sen. Obama's right-wing critics have tried to create. But most readers will see it as tasteless and offensive. And we agree."

    McCain spokesman Tucker Bounds quickly e-mailed: “We completely agree with the Obama campaign, it’s tasteless and offensive.”

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •