View Poll Results: Debate 1: Obama v McCain...Who Won???

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Barack Obama Decisively.

    4 17.39%
  • John McCain Decisively.

    1 4.35%
  • Barack Obama Slightly.

    10 43.48%
  • John McCain Slightly.

    3 13.04%
  • Generally, it was a tie.

    3 13.04%
  • Not sure.

    2 8.70%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20

Thread: Debate 1: Obama v McCain...Who Won???

  1. #1
    Name Retired.
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Her Hot Dreams
    Posts
    2,417

    Debate 1: Obama v McCain...Who Won???

    Hello all,

    Hopefully many of you watched the debate, so lets gauge how you felt about it. Okay, so who won? Please vote. And if you would like to explain your opinion...all the better.

    Cheers,

    Korbel
    Korbie: of the Boston Red Sox Nation...the NBA Champion Boston Celtics Pride...and...the New England Patriots Dynasty!

  2. #2
    Retired veteran hobbyist
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Eastern Canada
    Posts
    17,822
    Obama held his ground in the foreign policy issues, while McCain held his own in regards to the economy. Obama was courteous in mentionning he agreed with McCain on some of the issues being discussed, while McCain went back to lying a few times & tried to make Obama look bad on some issues. People with a brain didn't buy his b.s., so for them it had no effect & Obama did a fairly good job to deny Grandpa's false accusations.

    In general, it was pretty much even, as I expected. Since McCain is now losing popularity points every day, the pressure was on him to gain an edge. He performed well, but no edge was gained & if ever there was an edge to be had, i'd slightly give it to Obama. Finally, i found it a tad irritating at times when Mccain appeared to be stuck in the past when he kept referring to Ronald Reagan & his days as a Vietnam POW.

  3. #3
    Retired veteran hobbyist
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Eastern Canada
    Posts
    17,822
    Quote Originally Posted by juzt_a_girl
    Canadian media (Radio Canada and CTV) suggested there were no winners tonight.
    Most media outlets stated that the debate was fairly even, but added that this was a debate McCain had to win since the issues discussed in this debate were supposedly his strenght. But he failed to convince the undecided that they should vote for him. Obama, however, surprised many.

    Oh yeah, FIX News' poll shows that McCain won the debate at 82%. What's new? Only idiots regularly watch that crappy channel anyways. By the way, anyone interested in getting together & putting a bounty on that idiot Sean Hannity's head? Christ that guy's annoying!! Just a good beating to straighten him out & put some sense into him, that's all.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday
    Only idiots regularly watch that crappy channel anyways [FOX]. By the way, anyone interested in getting together & putting a bounty on that idiot Sean Hannity's head? .

    Beats the hell out of watching Keith Olbermann and Chris Matthews, aka 'Dumb and Dumber'.

    BTW, McCain kicked Hussein's ass. If I could vote, I would defenetily cast my vote for McCain.

  5. #5
    Retired veteran hobbyist
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Eastern Canada
    Posts
    17,822
    Quote Originally Posted by centaurus
    Beats the hell out of watching Keith Olbermann and Chris Matthews, aka 'Dumb and Dumber'.

    BTW, McCain kicked Hussein's ass. If I could vote, I would defenetily cast my vote for McCain.
    Let me guess: you're one of those dumb rednecks who constantly watches FIX News?? Sean Hannity rocks! Billy O'Leilly is The Man!! Am I right?

  6. #6
    Name Retired.
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Her Hot Dreams
    Posts
    2,417
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday
    Most media outlets stated that the debate was fairly even, but added that this was a debate McCain had to win since the issues discussed in this debate were supposedly his strenght. But he failed to convince the undecided that they should vote for him. Obama, however, surprised many.
    Hello Doc,

    I watched the debate with a lot of previous bias favoring Obama. But I have to agree with you as far as you went. There's no way anyone can justly say either won decisively. If you listened carefully there was no decided advantage unless you were simply reacting to details you liked a lot or didn't. If you watched it and can say either won decisively it's just a reflection of your previous favoritism.

    Obama started stronger on domestic issues, especially when he cited how McCain himself was hitting on how bad things were and still supported Bush's policies nearly all the time. On foreign policy McCain was better with more control of the details and citing his broad experience. In sum it was close to being exactly even.

    However, here's the problem for McCain. This was supposed to be his subject and Obama faired solidly on foreign policy. McCain was supposed to stand out clearly ahead on this issue and he didn't. McCain has 26 years of experience and Obama has much less. For Obama to stand there and be very close on all counts is a loss for McCain effectively. He is behind and needed a clear win.

    What I paid close attention to was the Independent green line on the graph below. It seemed to balance evenly with equal highs and lows for both men. The only time I saw it get very low was when McCain was scolding Obama who "doesn't understand"...were those the words he kept using over and over? I saw the Independent line nearly bottom out at the end of the debate when McCain kept hammering on that line.

    In the end, McCain had to have a clear victory. He didn't get it. So, considering what McCain needed and his much longer experience in years, though the debate was basically even, it's a "strategic" win for Obama for staying very close on foreign policy and scoring slightly better domestically .

    Cheers,

    Korbel

    PS

    One thing I was impressed with was the air of confidence, command of facts, and ability of both men to communicate well. It's the kind of skill that Joe Biden has great control of and Sarah Palin totally lacks...especially on command of the facts. She cannot possibly develop that quickly. When she debates she is going to get crushed, and it won't matter how low the expectations are for her when she gets crushed.
    Last edited by korbel; 09-27-2008 at 11:59 AM.
    Korbie: of the Boston Red Sox Nation...the NBA Champion Boston Celtics Pride...and...the New England Patriots Dynasty!

  7. #7
    Retired veteran hobbyist
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Eastern Canada
    Posts
    17,822

    Poll shows Obama winning round one 51-38


  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by centaurus

    BTW, McCain kicked Hussein's ass. If I could vote, I would defenetily cast my vote for McCain.
    What is that, like a hiphop group or something?

  9. #9
    And of course Sarah Palin couldn't get it together to go on tv post-debate. Gov. Albatross has to be kept away from the cameras.

  10. #10
    It's a whole new ballgame
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Where I belong.
    Posts
    6,327
    My initial reaction was that McCain got the best of it, but on reflection, I think that was primarily because I expected McCain to be be bumbling throughout and for Obama to be strong. I also felt that Obama missed a few openings to blast some of McCain's bullshit.

    Imagine, then, my surprise, to learn this morning that the two polls of independents that were taken, one by CBS the other by CNN, both came out with Obama the big winner. Not only that, but Republican Pollster was on Faux News with a focus group of undecided voters, split evenly between Kerry and Bush voters. These folks came down strongly for Obama.

    Another item: at least as important in swaying voters is body language and demeanor. It's been pointed out all over the place that McCain appeared angry throughout, treating Obama with contempt. He also refused to look at Obama even once.

    And only final item: a large part of who wins a debate, in the final tally, is who pulls the public perception. Her, clearly, Obama is the big winner. The only ones saying that McCain won are on Faux News or working for him. Even David Gergen, former Reagan speechwriter, says the night was good for Obama.

    With Obama's lead in the polls, now about 5-6 points, growing, time is growing short for Grumpy. It will be interesting if Palin is still on the ticket come debate time this coming Thursday.

    Here's Nate Silver's take on Obama's big win last night. http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/2008/...obama-won.html
    Last edited by rumpleforeskiin; 09-27-2008 at 02:34 PM.
    The mounties always get their man.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by juzt_a_girl
    I unfortunately don't have cable so was not able to watch the debate
    CNN was streaming the debate. That is how I watched it.

  12. #12
    I thought Obama won during the early part, when talking about the economy.

    I thought McCain clearly won during the other part, when they moved on to security and international affairs.


    Any chance of having a McCain / Obama ticket?

  13. #13
    Name Retired.
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Her Hot Dreams
    Posts
    2,417
    Quote Originally Posted by juzt_a_girl
    Canadian media (Radio Canada and CTV) suggested there were no winners tonight. I unfortunately don't have cable so was not able to watch the debate (don't worry Korbel, I didn't vote in the poll). But I do think, from the few excerpts I saw, McCain's 'Obama refuses to acknowledge that we're winning the war in Iraq' was tonight's winner. Proof being 'socio-economics' are better Also, Obama wins for shooting himself in the foot with his numerous 'McCain is right, but...' comments. The buts were edited out: http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=Ec3aC8ZJZTc.
    JAG
    Hello JAG,

    While it's obviously much more advantageous to have seen the debate in order to vote, the election is not being limited to debate watchers. Even those who didn't watch are going to have an opinion on who won simply by seeing or reading information about what was said and how others assess the debate. Many people make up their minds by disseminating recorded information and opinion rather than witnessing. Who is to say that is not valid. It certainly won't stop those who did not see part or all of the debate from voting. So I see no reason why you shouldn't vote here if you have an opinion.

    Quote Originally Posted by rumpleforeskiin
    My initial reaction was that McCain got the best of it, but on reflection, I think that was primarily because I expected McCain to be be bumbling throughout and for Obama to be strong. I also felt that Obama missed a few openings to blast some of McCain's bullshit.

    Imagine, then, my surprise, to learn this morning that the two polls of independents that were taken, one by CBS the other by CNN, both came out with Obama the big winner. Not only that, but Republican Pollster was on Faux News with a focus group of undecided voters, split evenly between Kerry and Bush voters. These folks came down strongly for Obama.

    Another item: at least as important in swaying voters is body language and demeanor. It's been pointed out all over the place that McCain appeared angry throughout, treating Obama with contempt. He also refused to look at Obama even once.

    And only final item: a large part of who wins a debate, in the final tally, is who pulls the public perception. Her, clearly, Obama is the big winner. The only ones saying that McCain won are on Faux News or working for him. Even David Gergen, former Reagan speechwriter, says the night was good for Obama.

    With Obama's lead in the polls, now about 5-6 points, growing, time is growing short for Grumpy. It will be interesting if Palin is still on the ticket come debate time this coming Thursday.

    Here's Nate Silver's take on Obama's big win last night. http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/2008/...obama-won.html
    I tried to avoid the element of my bias in favor of Obama when assessing the debate. Of course that cannot be done with total impartiality after having made up my mind who to vote for. The only time I thought Obama made a mistake was in allowing McCain to appeal to Jewish voters. McCain pushed on the importance of keeping Israel secure while Obama didn't seem to mention Israel at all directly. That had me thinking of Florida where a large Jewish vote for Democrats has been cited as critical in that state.

    But, I did feel that Obama was more in control of his demeanor seeming calm, professional, focused and resolved. McCain was also very good, but at times seemed a bit condescending and dismissive of Obama. Yes, Obama called McCain, "John" and acknowledged he was "right" on certain points a number of times. McCain seemed to want to put Obama in his place, and Obama clearly wanted to be perceived as McCain's equal. Overall, I thought Obama was successful. He needed to show he could stand next to McCain and measure up to his experience. Succeeding in doing that allowed Independents to feel comfortable about the possibility of voting for Obama, and that's what I think these polls are showing. Since gaining advantage in the Independent vote is the key to victory it becomes clear the debate winner was Obama.

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Paul
    And of course Sarah Palin couldn't get it together to go on tv post-debate. Gov. Albatross has to be kept away from the cameras.
    Hello Red Paul,

    McCain really has himself in a potentially disastrous situation from two angles with the selction of Palin as his Vice President. She obviously, is not going to stand up to Biden on knowledge of the issues if she can't handle interviews with Charlie Gibson and Katie Couric where she did not face a real competitor as she will in the debate. Oh, she will please the true believers of ultra-Conservatives by saying the right generalities, but she is not going to have much beyond cherished Conservative dogma to offer. But taking her off the ticket not only alienates the Conservative base that has given McCain any chance of winning, it also makes him look like a person who doesn't know how to make well-considered key decisions about who should help him run the country. Even if he should find some phenominal surprise candidate, he's going to seem desperate and lacking in judgment from his original choice. To put it bluntly...he's got a real mess.

    Cheers,

    Korbel
    Last edited by korbel; 09-27-2008 at 10:57 PM.
    Korbie: of the Boston Red Sox Nation...the NBA Champion Boston Celtics Pride...and...the New England Patriots Dynasty!

  14. #14
    It's a whole new ballgame
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Where I belong.
    Posts
    6,327
    Quote Originally Posted by Korbel
    The only time I thought Obama made a mistake was in allowing McCain to appeal to Jewish voters. McCain pushed on the importance of keeping Israel secure while Obama didn't seem to mention Israel at all directly. That had me thinking of Florida where a large Jewish vote for Democrats has been cited as critical in that state.
    Not a problem, Korbie. The selection of the Christianist Palin for a running mate pretty much sealed the Jewish vote for Obama.
    The mounties always get their man.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by centaurus
    Beats the hell out of watching Keith Olbermann and Chris Matthews, aka 'Dumb and Dumber'.

    BTW, McCain kicked Hussein's ass. If I could vote, I would defenetily cast my vote for McCain.

    I'm sorry to dissappoint you my friend but you are quite naive. Your vote does not really matter, if you want to know who will most likely win these election just follow the money. Whoever was able to get more financial support will most likely be the next president (as off now Obama generated more funds). The different lobby groups and coorporations are the ones who trully elect the next president. You are probably limited to skin color, I beleive that if Obama is elected he will be more concervative than what most people think. His foreing policy will not be as far off as the republicans, It did not air on U.S t.v but for example try to look for his speech infront of AIIPAC (which is a powerful Jewish lobby group based in Washington D.C) you would think that Bush was speaking. His position is very firm on the middle eastern crisis between Israel and Palistine. Obama also got a big cheque from General Electric and G.E' s main line of business is not home appliences but the millitary.

    Fox News has allways favored republicans because most of his board members are harcore republican voters.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •