Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NHL 2008-'09 prediction thread

Habs Fan

Exclamation NHL 2008-'09 prediction thread

With the regular season set to start in less than a week, I thought it would be a good idea to get merbites predictions for the upcoming hockey season – besides, its always fun to come back in March and April to see how the predictions turned out!

Here’s a couple of memorable predictions from last season:

Originally Posted by Doc Holliday

“Toronto will squeeze into 7th or 8th spot & there's no chance in hell that the Habs make the playoffs. They are just terrible!”

I still guarantee that the Maple Leafs will finish higher than the Habs in the standings come the end of the year.

Anyhow, here are my picks for the Eastern Conference :

1. Montreal: The class of conference and the North East Division
    2. Pittsburgh: will be strong again this season
    3. Washington (by virtue of winning the SE division)

4 through 8 in no particular order: NY Rangers, Ottawa, Carolina, Boston, NJ

9. Philadelphia: its back to reality for this over achieving team that finished in last place just two seasons ago – proving that last years performance was a fluke
    10. Tampa
    11. Buffalo
    12. Florida
    13. Toronto Make Me Laffs, only the Islanders and Atlanta will keep the shitty Maple Turds out of last place – end result: no playoffs and no John Taveres.

14. NYI
    15. Atlanta
    Last edited by gohabsgo; 09-29-2008 at 09:51 PM.
    Bière Froide, Cold Beer! Tricolore jusqu'au bout!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oI_ll-k_zzI
    Les Canadiens sont là!

Post Phili is in Carolina is out

Quote Originally Posted by gohabsgo
    With the regular season set to start in less than a week, I thought it would be a good idea to get merbites predictions for the upcoming hockey season – besides, its always fun to come back in March and April to see how the predictions turned out!

Here’s a couple of memorable predictions from last season:

“Toronto will squeeze into 7th or 8th spot & there's no chance in hell that the Habs make the playoffs. They are just terrible!”

I still guarantee that the Maple Leafs will finish higher than the Habs in the standings come the end of the year.

Anyhow, here are my picks for the Eastern Conference :

1. Montreal: The class of conference and the North East Division
    2. Pittsburgh: will be strong again this season
    3. Washington (by virtue of winning the SE division)

4 through 8 in no particular order: NY Rangers, Ottawa, Carolina, Boston, NJ

9. Philadelphia: its back to reality for this over achieving team that finished in last place just two seasons ago – proving that last years performance was a fluke
    10. Tampa
    11. Buffalo
    12. Florida
    13. Toronto Make Me Laffs, only the Islanders and Atlanta will keep the shitty Maple Turds out of last place – end result: no playoffs and no John Taveres.

14. NYI
    15. Atlanta
    Great stuff and Im with you on all but one.Phili will be in and Carolina is out.
    I hate the Flyers to Bro.

I dislike the Flyers also but they will make it. I think Tampa Bay will also make it. Rangers and Senators might not. Montreal, Pittsburgh and Washington are all shoo-ins. Toronto of course - even if they don't finish last - will be a continuing embarrassment to the sport.

Post NHL East Div.

Quote Originally Posted by joelcairo
    I dislike the Flyers also but they will make it. I think Tampa Bay will also make it. Rangers and Senators might not. Montreal, Pittsburgh and Washington are all shoo-ins. Toronto of course - even if they don't finish last - will be a continuing embarrassment to the sport.

The Leafs r looking @ golfing till 2015.Tampa,come on.Gary Roberts.No chance.I like those pics.The fu*k n Flyers r in. Hurricans wont make it.
    Both Devils and Rangers have powerhouses in nets.
    Done.7-8 respectively.
    Habs,Pits,Caps,Bruins,Sens complete the top 8.
    Go Habs Go

Top 4 in no particular order - Philly, Pittsburg, Montreal, Washington - next 4 - NJ, NY, Ottawa, Tampa

Boston and TO to miss the playoffs

Nadya of Nadya's VIPs SexyNadya's Avatar

My Pics !!

Quote Originally Posted by King Of Kings
    The Leafs r looking @ golfing till 2015.Tampa,come on.Gary Roberts.No chance.I like those pics.The fu*k n Flyers r in. Hurricans wont make it.
    Both Devils and Rangers have powerhouses in nets.
    Done.7-8 respectively.
    Habs,Pits,Caps,Bruins,Sens complete the top 8.
    Go Habs Go
    I like your pics King of Kings and welcome to Merb !

1- Les Canadiens de Montréal ! ( Voilà )
    2- Pittsburgh Penguins
    3- Washington Capitals
    4- New York Rangers
    5- New Jersey Devils
    6- Philadelphia Flyers
    7- Boston Bruins
    8- Ottawa Senators

And Friends as you post your selections please select who you choose to finish last overall
    in the NHL for the year 2008-09 !

A Wet Willy is on the line !

My selection: "" The Toronto Maple Leafs "" with 69 points !!!

Last edited by SexyNadya; 09-30-2008 at 10:40 PM.

Winnipeg Jets all the way to the cup
    Making hot sweet love to all your beautiful women

THANK YOU BURKIE !!!
    EA Sport's video game NHL 09 simulated the entire 08-09 season and ended up with a Stanley Cup final between Detroit and Montreal with Detroit winning in six. (They also have the Leafs finishing 14th in the east. )

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=2515...headlines_main

I bought this game on PS3 when it came out last month because it includes a centennial edition of the Habs with players like Dryden, Roy, Plante, Robinson, S. Savard, Lapointe, Laperriere, Harvey, E. Bouchard, Shutt, Lafleur, Lemaire, Beliveau, Cournoyer, Lach, both Richard brothers, Gainey, Morenz, and a few more I'm forgetting. I had my PS3 simulate a game between the centennial Habs and the current team that ended in an 8-7 win for the current edition with Carry Price stopping Howie Morenz in the 8th round of a shootout.

Nadya of Nadya's VIPs SexyNadya's Avatar

Smile Hello TongueNCheek ... Nice name !

Quote Originally Posted by TongueNCheek
    As long as Toronto doesn't finish last, because I wouldn't want to see them get a chance at John Tavares in next year's draft.

In previous years, I enjoyed watching Toronto THINKING that they have a chance at making the playoffs, and then just FAIL! This year, from the start, the mood is REBUILDING. It makes me mad to think they throw in the towel. Makes me think they want Tavares, and as a HABS fan, I would hate to see that happen.

GO HABS GO!

TongueNCheek
    Having the Leafs struggling like this is not good for Canadian hockey.

They must get back on track and the acquisition of Tavares would be perfect.We want him on Canadian soil !

Habs Fan

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by SexyNadya
    the acquisition of Tavares would be perfect.We want him on Canadian soil !
    Tavares will eventually end up on Canadian soil, but certainly not in Toronto – I see Atlanta getting the first overall pick - Atlanta also happens to be on the verge of bankruptcy, with the RIM guy Jim Balsillie buying the team and relocating to Kitchener-Waterloo.

Quote Originally Posted by SexyNadya
    Having the Leafs struggling like this is not good for Canadian hockey.
    Dont worry about the sad sack Toronto franchise ever struggling financially – with all the idiot and gullible Maple Laff fans, MLSE’s coffers will be filled into perpetuity.
    Les Canadiens sont là!

Veteran of Misadventures

ESPN: Addition By Subtraction Improved Rangers

ESPN says the best goaltending in the Eastern Conference will be on display at Madison Square Garden this season:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/previe...e=nhlpre08/nyr

Habs Fan
    West

1.) Detroit
    2.) Dallas
    3.) Flames (will win their division)
    4.) SJ
    5.) Chicago
    6.) Oilers
    7.) Ducks
    8.) Minnesota
    ===========
    9.) Nashville
    10.) Canucks
    11.) Colorado
    12.) Phoenix
    13.) Columbus
    14.) Blues
    15.) L.A.
    Les Canadiens sont là!

Even though I hate the Habs, I dislike the leafs even more, but I'm not going to be as quick to write them off as everyone else. Remember where Montreal was predicted to finish last year? The leafs have some young talent, and I think Mikhail Grabovski will be the new "Leclair-ism" to come back and haunt the Habs.

My Predictions for the East:

1. Philadelphia
    2. Ottawa
    3. Washington
    4. Pittburgh
    5. Montreal
    6. King Henry & the Broadway Crew (NYR)
    7. Jersey Swamprats
    8. Boston

9. Leafs will make it interesting at the end of the season & scare the beans out of Boston

West:

1. Detroit
    2. San Jose
    3. Calgary
    4. Dallas
    5. Anaheim
    6. Chicago
    7. Phoenix
    8. Edmonton

P.S. Been dying to put up my NYR avatar but can't find where in CP to do so...anyone?

THANK YOU BURKIE !!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dplus seeker
    P.S. Been dying to put up my NYR avatar but can't find where in CP to do so...anyone?
    You need to become a supporting member to have an avatar. (I might be changing mine for the hockey season. )

EAST:

1) MTL
    2) PIT
    3) WAS
    4) BOS
    5) PHI
    6) NYR
    7) OTT
    8) TB

WEST:

1) DET
    2) ANA
    3) VAN
    4) SJ
    5) DAL
    6) EDM
    7) CHI
    8) CGY

Retired veteran hobbyist
    Quote Originally Posted by gohabsgo
    Tavares will eventually end up on Canadian soil, but certainly not in Toronto – I see Atlanta getting the first overall pick - Atlanta also happens to be on the verge of bankruptcy, with the RIM guy Jim Balsillie buying the team and relocating to Kitchener-Waterloo.
    Once again you get your facts all wrong. Nashville is the team Balsillie's rumoured to be once again after. Not Atlanta. Also, he'd relocate it to Hamiltion, not in the Kitchener/Waterloo area. I also don't see Atlanta finishing last as long as Kovalchuk is still playing there.

Saying that Atlanta is likely to get the first overall pick because they're supposedly 'on the verge of bankruptcy' just goes to show how naive you are. This is also the first time that i've heard of Atlanta facing bankruptcy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast