Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 31

Thread: SOCIALIST Sarah Palin: The Grand Hypocrisy.

  1. #1
    Name Retired.
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Her Hot Dreams
    Posts
    2,417

    SOCIALIST Sarah Palin: The Grand Hypocrisy.

    Hello all,

    We all have heard about Senator Obama's "spread the wealth" comment and how it has been used to paint him as a Socialist. McCain and Palin are trying to beat up Obama with the label constantly, to little effect, But, a few hours ago I heard a report on CNN about Sarah Palin's interview for the New Yorker Magazine that makes her sound like someone closer to Socialism than any other Presidential ticket candidate. Here it is in full. The most illuminating part is near the end:

    http://www.newyorker.com/talk/commen...talk_hertzberg

    Like, Socialism

    by Hendrik Hertzberg

    Sometimes, when a political campaign has run out of ideas and senses that the prize is slipping through its fingers, it rolls up a sleeve and plunges an arm, shoulder deep, right down to the bottom of the barrel. The problem for John McCain, Sarah Palin, and the Republican Party is that the bottom was scraped clean long before it dropped out. Back when the polls were nip and tuck and the leaves had not yet begun to turn, Barack Obama had already been accused of betraying the troops, wanting to teach kindergartners all about sex, favoring infanticide, and being a friend of terrorists and terrorism. What was left? The anticlimactic answer came as the long Presidential march of 2008 staggered toward its final week: Senator Obama is a socialist.

    “This campaign in the next couple of weeks is about one thing,” Todd Akin, a Republican congressman from Missouri, told a McCain rally outside St. Louis. “It’s a referendum on socialism.” “With all due respect,” Senator George Voinovich, Republican of Ohio, said, “the man is a socialist.” At an airport rally in Roswell, New Mexico, a well-known landing spot for space aliens, Governor Palin warned against Obama’s tax proposals. “Friends,” she said, “now is no time to experiment with socialism.” And McCain, discussing those proposals, agreed that they sounded “a lot like socialism.” There hasn’t been so much talk of socialism in an American election since 1920, when Eugene Victor Debs, candidate of the Socialist Party, made his fifth run for President from a cell in the Atlanta Federal Penitentiary, where he was serving a ten-year sentence for opposing the First World War. (Debs got a million votes and was freed the following year by the new Republican President, Warren G. Harding, who immediately invited him to the White House for a friendly visit.)

    As a buzzword, “socialism” had mostly good connotations in most of the world for most of the twentieth century. That’s why the Nazis called themselves national socialists. That’s why the Bolsheviks called their regime the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics, obliging the socialist and social democratic parties of Europe (and America, for what it was worth) to make rescuing the “good name” of socialism one of their central missions. Socialists—one thinks of men like George Orwell, Willy Brandt, and Aneurin Bevan—were among Communism’s most passionate and effective enemies.

    The United States is a special case. There is a whole shelf of books on the question of why socialism never became a real mass movement here. For decades, the word served mainly as a cudgel with which conservative Republicans beat liberal Democrats about the head. When Barry Goldwater and Ronald Reagan accused John F. Kennedy and Lyndon Johnson of socialism for advocating guaranteed health care for the aged and the poor, the implication was that Medicare and Medicaid would presage a Soviet America. Now that Communism has been defunct for nearly twenty years, though, the cry of socialism no longer packs its old punch. “At least in Europe, the socialist leaders who so admire my opponent are upfront about their objectives,” McCain said the other day—thereby suggesting that the dystopia he abhors is not some North Korean-style totalitarian ant heap but, rather, the gentle social democracies across the Atlantic, where, in return for higher taxes and without any diminution of civil liberty, people buy themselves excellent public education, anxiety-free health care, and decent public transportation.

    The Republican argument of the moment seems to be that the difference between capitalism and socialism corresponds to the difference between a top marginal income-tax rate of 35 per cent and a top marginal income-tax rate of 39.6 per cent. The latter is what it would be under Obama’s proposal, what it was under President Clinton, and, for that matter, what it will be after 2010 if President Bush’s tax cuts expire on schedule. Obama would use some of the added revenue to give a break to pretty much everybody who nets less than a quarter of a million dollars a year. The total tax burden on the private economy would be somewhat lighter than it is now—a bit of elementary Keynesianism that renders doubly untrue the Republican claim that Obama “will raise your taxes.”

    On October 12th, in conversation with a voter forever to be known as Joe the Plumber, Obama gave one of his fullest summaries of his tax plan. After explaining how Joe could benefit from it, whether or not he achieves his dream of owning his own plumbing business, Obama added casually, “I think that when you spread the wealth around, it’s good for everybody.” McCain and Palin have been quoting this remark ever since, offering it as prima-facie evidence of Obama’s unsuitability for office. Of course, all taxes are redistributive, in that they redistribute private resources for public purposes. But the federal income tax is (downwardly) redistributive as a matter of principle: however slightly, it softens the inequalities that are inevitable in a market economy, and it reflects the belief that the wealthy have a proportionately greater stake in the material aspects of the social order and, therefore, should give that order proportionately more material support. McCain himself probably shares this belief, and there was a time when he was willing to say so. During the 2000 campaign, on MSNBC’s “Hardball,” a young woman asked him why her father, a doctor, should be “penalized” by being “in a huge tax bracket.” McCain replied that “wealthy people can afford more” and that “the very wealthy, because they can afford tax lawyers and all kinds of loopholes, really don’t pay nearly as much as you think they do.” The exchange continued:

    YOUNG WOMAN: Are we getting closer and closer to, like, socialism and stuff?. . .
    MCCAIN: Here’s what I really believe: That when you reach a certain level of comfort, there’s nothing wrong with paying somewhat more.

    For her part, Sarah Palin, who has lately taken to calling Obama “Barack the Wealth Spreader,” seems to be something of a suspect character herself. She is, at the very least, a fellow-traveller of what might be called socialism with an Alaskan face. The state that she governs has no income or sales tax. Instead, it imposes huge levies on the oil companies that lease its oil fields. The proceeds finance the government’s activities and enable it to issue a four-figure annual check to every man, woman, and child in the state. One of the reasons Palin has been a popular governor is that she added an extra twelve hundred dollars to this year’s check, bringing the per-person total to $3,269. A few weeks before she was nominated for Vice-President, she told a visiting journalist—Philip Gourevitch, of this magazine—that “we’re set up, unlike other states in the union, where it’s collectively Alaskans own the resources. So we share in the wealth when the development of these resources occurs.” Perhaps there is some meaningful distinction between spreading the wealth and sharing it (“collectively,” no less), but finding it would require the analytic skills of Karl the Marxist. ♦

    Now I am just a bit curious if Beautydigger has the ethical backbone to call Palin a "Communist" for the same reasons he said it about Obama??? DOUBT IT!!!


    Cheers,

    Korbel
    Last edited by korbel; 10-29-2008 at 09:16 PM.
    Korbie: of the Boston Red Sox Nation...the NBA Champion Boston Celtics Pride...and...the New England Patriots Dynasty!

  2. #2
    Nadya of Nadya's VIPs SexyNadya's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    7,839

    Thumbs down Hi Korbie !!

    Shes so flaky ! Pffff ! !

    History will take its course. The proof that multiculturalism does work !
    Its not perfect, however this time, the good guys will win !!!!



  3. #3
    Name Retired.
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Her Hot Dreams
    Posts
    2,417
    Quote Originally Posted by SexyNadya
    Shes so flaky ! Pffff ! !

    History will take its course. The proof that multiculturalism does work !
    Its not perfect, however this time, the good guys will win !!!!


    Hello SexyN,

    Yeah, it's a mix of selective memory, political expediency, and simple hypocrisy. But having listened to a great deal of technical polling data from across the U.S. on CNN it looks like Obamas chances are becoming more and more solid. The big significance is that suburbanites who went for Bush in 2004 are going for Obama in nearly every state except very heavily Republican states. So, thumbs up sweetie.

    Kisses,

    Korbel
    Korbie: of the Boston Red Sox Nation...the NBA Champion Boston Celtics Pride...and...the New England Patriots Dynasty!

  4. #4
    Palin is a nut job.

    But there's a big difference between profiting equally from the natural wealth of minerals in the ground, and forcibly removing income from some workers to redistribute to others.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Korbel
    Hello all,

    We all have heard about Senator Obama's "spread the wealth" comment and how it has been used to paint him as a Socialist. McCain and Palin are trying to beat up Obama with the label constantly, to little effect
    More proof that liberalism is a mental disorder. The whole “Joe the Plumber” episode is why Nobama is losing ground in the polls. Have you lost your mind over this Korbel? Oh wait, first you have to have a mind. What a totally absurd comparison. And, a lot of liberal women can’t stand her because she is the epitome of a women that has it all, but just happens to be a conservative, and the liberals are yet to produce a women that comes close. Why are all successful liberal women god awful ugly?

  6. #6
    It's a whole new ballgame
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Where I belong.
    Posts
    6,327
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler
    Palin is a nut job.
    Actually, the term used within the McCain campaign to describe Palin is "whack job."
    The mounties always get their man.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by rumpleforeskiin
    Actually, the term used within the McCain campaign to describe Palin is "whack job."
    Yeah, your probably whacking over her right now.

  8. #8
    Name Retired.
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Her Hot Dreams
    Posts
    2,417
    Quote Originally Posted by beautydigger
    More proof that liberalism is a mental disorder. The whole “Joe the Plumber” episode is why Nobama is losing ground in the polls. Have you lost your mind over this Korbel? Oh wait, first you have to have a mind. What a totally absurd comparison. And, a lot of liberal women can’t stand her because she is the epitome of a women that has it all, but just happens to be a conservative, and the liberals are yet to produce a women that comes close. Why are all successful liberal women god awful ugly?
    LOL BTYDGR,

    I love it. Another lack of any type of argument or point type of post by you with nothing but insults. For a guy just about universally acknowledged on this board as lacking any skill to apply facts sensibly or much of an ability to even find them you sure are consistent. I am sure you didn't bother to read the first post here, though I am sure you will say you did just to pretend you have credibility.

    So you don't see the "huge levies on the oil companies" as a de facto excessive tax and spreading that levy among the population "to every man, woman, and child in the state" as the same thing as spreading the wealth, which is exactly what she accuses Obama of wanting to do. Remember, that's what she says he wants to do...has not done anything yet...but she has already done it. Well if you can't see the "Grand Hypocrisy" then you are hopelessly obtuse.

    As I predicted, you haven't the ethical backbone to admit it.

    Cheers,

    Korbel
    Last edited by korbel; 10-30-2008 at 11:12 PM.
    Korbie: of the Boston Red Sox Nation...the NBA Champion Boston Celtics Pride...and...the New England Patriots Dynasty!

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Korbel
    LOL BTYDGR,

    I love it. Another lack of any type of argument or point type of post by you with nothing but insults. For a guy just about universally acknowledged on this board as lacking any skill to apply facts sensibly or much of an ability to even find them you sure are consistent. I am sure you didn't bother to read the first post here, though I am sure you will say you did just to pretend you have credibility.

    Korbel
    What the hell are you talking about? Oh, just blathering along forever about nothing, should of known. Credibility……credibility????? Anyone with a brain would realize I am right about everything and have proven it. Just your point of Palin being anywhere near a socialist is just INCREDIBLY stupid. When faced with the obvious I tend not to waste time on such nonsense.

  10. #10
    Name Retired.
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Her Hot Dreams
    Posts
    2,417
    Quote Originally Posted by beautydigger
    What the hell are you talking about? Oh, just blathering along forever about nothing, should of known. Credibility……credibility????? Anyone with a brain would realize I am right about everything and have proven it. Just your point of Palin being anywhere near a socialist is just INCREDIBLY stupid. When faced with the obvious I tend not to waste time on such nonsense.
    LOL BTYDGR,

    What dimension of existence are you in because yours has no reality at all. I am comforted to receive insults from YOU because being complimented by someone so utterly deluded would be frightening. A million thanks for the confirmation I am nothing like YOU! However you do make me laugh a lot. That Gonad-esque statement about always being right makes me wonder if you are a real individual at all. All together you sound like some weird test tube genetic hybrid of Rush Limbaugh, Karl Rove, General Gonad, Sarah Palin, and Tony the joke. ISH!!!

    Luv ya,

    Korbel
    Last edited by korbel; 10-31-2008 at 12:00 PM.
    Korbie: of the Boston Red Sox Nation...the NBA Champion Boston Celtics Pride...and...the New England Patriots Dynasty!

  11. #11
    Sarah Palin draws 13,000 in PA,, Joe Biden musters 700 same day!I wonder if those here still think Joe was a great pick?
    Quote Originally Posted by Korbel
    As I predicted, you haven't the ethical backbone to admit it.
    Korbel

  12. #12

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by Korbel
    Hello SexyN,

    Yeah, it's a mix of selective memory, political expediency, and simple hypocrisy. But having listened to a great deal of technical polling data from across the U.S. on CNN it looks like Obamas chances are becoming more and more solid. The big significance is that suburbanites who went for Bush in 2004 are going for Obama in nearly every state except very heavily Republican states. So, thumbs up sweetie.

    Kisses,

    Korbel
    Korbel expect a Bush vs Gore repeat. I support Obama, but it will be very close.

  13. #13
    Name Retired.
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Her Hot Dreams
    Posts
    2,417
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodyWoody
    Korbel expect a Bush vs Gore repeat. I support Obama, but it will be very close.
    Hello WW,

    I don't think you are aware of the current political circumstances in each state and the electoral map. If the polls are right Obama has a 90% chance. Look to Pennsylvania, Ohio, Florida and Virginia early on election night. If Pennsylvania goes for Obama where he leads by 9-13%, and it will, Obama will only need one battleground state in anywhere to win. Virginia gives about a 10% edge for Obama and Obama leads in Ohio and Florida by 4-5%. These numbers have been very steady in most polls nearly all week. Then there are "Red States" out west like Colorado, Nevada, New Mexico that favor Obama. To top it off McCain is very busy pissing off Independents with little more than name-calling attacks.

    Right now it all points to Obama.

    Cheers,

    Korbel
    Last edited by korbel; 10-31-2008 at 10:48 PM.
    Korbie: of the Boston Red Sox Nation...the NBA Champion Boston Celtics Pride...and...the New England Patriots Dynasty!

  14. #14
    Nadya of Nadya's VIPs SexyNadya's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    7,839

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by Korbel
    Hello WW,

    I don't think you are aware of the current political circumstances in each state and the electoral map. If the polls are right Obama has a 90% chance. Look to Pennsylvania, Ohio, Florida and Virginia early on election night. If Pennsylvania goes for Obama where he leads by 9-13%, and it will, Obama will only need one battleground state in the anywhere to win. Virginia is gives about a 10% edge for Obama and Obama leads in Ohio and Florida by 4-5%. These numbers have been very steady in most polls nearly all week. Then there are "Red States" out west like Colorado, Neveda, New Mexico and other that favor Obama. To top it off McCain is very busy pissing off Independents with little more than name-calling attacks.

    Right now it all points to Obama.

    Cheers,

    Korbel
    Hello Korbie !!!!

    It wont be by a landslide but it looks very very good.

    Change is on the way !!! !!!

  15. #15
    When I looked at Nadia's pic, landslide became bodyslide. Ahhhh, the power of images. :

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •