Thread: Best Place for Curreny Exchange

The Longest Title in MERB

Post Best Place for Currency Exchange

I would probably say Calforex, exchanged USD 2000, no ID required and only CAD 2.50 fee. The ATM isn't bad since you get the best exchange rate but watch out for the service fee, some banks really pile on the charges here. Also, even if you have a high withdrawal limit, the ATMs usually have a withdrawal limit per transaction, meaning multiple service fees for large amounts.
    Last edited by donbusch; 04-01-2003 at 07:55 PM.
    I used to be schizophrenic, but we're OK now.

Banned

atm

I travel frequently in the US and Canada and always use the ATM, I would say the only thing to watch for is make sure you use a Banks ATM(Royal, Bnk of Mtl etc) and not one of those no-name ATM's which are popping up as yes they can ding you with a hefty charge.
    Another thing to watch is the daily limit you can withdraw-sometimes only 500$-you can call your bank and have that changed.
    rolo

Is it wise to walk around with so much cash on you? I thought about calling my bank to get a higher limit, but then decided that the $2 ATM fee is basically a fee for renting the best safe at any destination. I don't have the cash until I need it.

I also prefer Calforex, which is at the intersection of St. Catherine & Peel. It's quick, cheap, and convenient to the hotels I frequent. The exchange rates seem fair; you might do a fraction better at some hole in the wall but I've found it's not worth the effort.

I'll admit the risk of carrying large amounts of cash has crossed my mind. But it's a short walk from the hotel to Calforex and back, and after that the cash goes in the safe.
    Give this job to...Clemenza.

Smile The bedroom!

I prefer the confines of my own bedroom (for currency exchange).

cash exchange

I also usually use Calforex. I usuall change 750 USD when I first arrive and then when I feel I am running "low", I will change 500 at a time. for the last few years, I have taken little three or four day mini "hobby holiday's" in Montreal and my standard budget is 500 USD per day for all expenses ( other than Hotel and Car)...so I have plenty of cash for fun.