Thread: montreal alouettes

montreal alouettes

when im usually in canada its summer and im usually pleased to find that there is football on while im bored in my motel room, i havent had a team i really cared about in the cfl so i suppose ill make it my favorite citys team, i looked on thier site and it says they play at molson stadium and olympic, where is molson stadium?, and is there a lot of tailgating and parties before the game like the nfl games?

You give Love..A BAD NAME

wow i could walk there from chinatown in 10 minutes, and i never knew it was there, theres so much of montreal i havent seen, hopefully ill be able to

Retired veteran hobbyist
    Quote Originally Posted by cpp433
    when im usually in canada its summer and im usually pleased to find that there is football on .....
    If you want to watch a real professional football game, head over to Toronto & watch the Bills. They're rumoured to be playing the Indy Colts next season at the Rogers Center. I wouldn't waste my time & money with the Crappy Football League.

How can you say Professional Football Game and include the Buffalo Bills in that sentence????

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday
    If you want to watch a real professional football game, head over to Toronto & watch the Bills. They're rumoured to be playing the Indy Colts next season at the Rogers Center. I wouldn't waste my time & money with the Crappy Football League.

i will generally see a bills game once a year, but im a seahawks fan so isnt quite as exciting, i will be traveling to minnesota to watch the hawks play the vikings, point with the alouettes was thier season is during the nfls off season so thats pretty cool, i could probably stay the weekend in montreal, get a couple pieces of puss, drink some good canadian beers and go to an alouettes game for the price of just the ticket for a bills game at rogers, but i do need to visit toronto sometime

I don't watch much CFL but, in many respects, the rules make the game more exciting and you rarely get a boring game. Plus the small stadium (20,000-25,000) puts you closer to the action. I catch a game about once a year and it's always a fun atmosphere. And this is from a huge NFL fan.
    Last edited by JustBob; 03-26-2009 at 12:54 AM.

There's obviously a talent gap between the CFL and the NFL but it's not as huge as some think it is. I don't think any top 25 NCAA Div 1 team would beat an CFL team. You could even reduce this argument to mathematics. How many players on a top rank NCAA Div 1 team even make it to pro football? Not to mention that different rules, field size, game dynamics, cater to different skill sets. Personnally, I think size especially on defense, is a bigger issue than skills.
    Last edited by JustBob; 03-26-2009 at 11:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JustBob
    There's obviously a talent gap between the CFL and the NFL but it's not as huge as some think it is. I don't think any top 25 NCAA Div 1 team would beat an CFL team. You could even reduce this argument to mathematics. How many players on a top rank NCAA Div 1 team even make it to pro football? Not to mention that different rules, field size, game dynamics, cater to different skill sets. Personnally, I think size especially on defense, is a bigger issue than skills.
    There's no question that the CFL and NFL games are different - that's obvious to anyone who knows the slightest thing about football. One might even call them different but related sports. The fields are different, the rules are different and the economic model is different. The CFL is what I would consider to be semi-professional. But for a handful of star players, the rest of the players are being paid "regular" salaries, meaning that they probably consume most of what they earn and that they need jobs as soon as they stop playing. In other professional sports, a player with a career of 10 years could, if he lived a modest life, live on the money he earned while playing.

I'm not sure why on these internet fora fans of the NFL are so insecure that they feel the need to shit on the CFL every time it is discussed. Do NHL fans feel the need to shit all over fans of AHL, NCAA or Canadian university hockey? Somehow we're able to discuss the Montreal Impact without some moron barging in to say not to waste our time with USL and that we "should" be watching MLS or even the English Premier division (or La Liga or Bundesliga, etc.) Why is it only the NFL fans in Canada who are so insecure about other people watching another league?

Quote Originally Posted by cpp433
    when im usually in canada its summer and im usually pleased to find that there is football on while im bored in my motel room, i havent had a team i really cared about in the cfl so i suppose ill make it my favorite citys team, i looked on thier site and it says they play at molson stadium and olympic, where is molson stadium?, and is there a lot of tailgating and parties before the game like the nfl games?

If I'm not mistaken, the one thing all of the CFL stadia have in common is that they are not surrounded by a huge parking lot. This is certainly the case for the two Montreal stadia, Rogers Centre in Toronto, Commonwealth Stadium in Edmonton and BC Place in Vancouver. I don't remember the other stadia. People take mass transit to the games or park in any one of a number of private parking lots within walking distance of the stadium or if they're lucky to find a parking spot in the street they park there. And these parking lots are not just for people going to the game; they are for people going shopping, going to the restaurant, going to the movies, just going for a walk, etc. So you don't have a concentration of football fans' vehicles like you would around one of those US stadia surrounded by an immense parking lot. Football is also a rather "niche" sport in the big cities (Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver). In Montreal last November, if you weren't downtown or near Olympic stadium, there was no indication that the Grey Cup was being played here and that Montreal was representing the Eastern Conference. By way of contrast, when the hockey team was in the first round of the playoffs, you couldn't throw a stone anywhere in the city without hitting a "Go Habs Go" sign or a Canadiens flag.