Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CÚline Dion to buy the beloved Montreal Canadians?

CÚline Dion to buy the beloved Montreal Canadians?

TORONTO (Hollywood Reporter) – Canadian pop star Celine Dion, Cirque du Soleil founder Guy Laliberte and Quebec cable giant Quebecor Media have emerged as potential bidders for the Montreal Canadiens NHL team.

Quebec broadcaster Radio-Canada said Wednesday that the Bank of Montreal has signed confidentiality agreements with 10 potential suitors who have until 5 p.m. Thursday to submit formal bids to 80 percent majority owner George Gillett, a Denver-based sports team and events promoter.

Other interested parties include U.S. investment firm Spectrum Equity; Montreal businessman Stephen Bronfman of Claridge Investments, a cousin of Warner Music Group chairman and CEO Edgar Bronfman Jr.; and the Caisse de depot et placement, a provincial pension fund giant.

In addition to picking up the hockey team, a Canadiens buyer would acquire the Bell Center arena in Montreal and a concert promotion division.

Gillett also owns Richard Petty Motorsports and the U.K.'s Liverpool soccer club.

(Editing by Sheri Linden at Reuters)

-------------------------------------------------------------------

What does this ************, music slaughtering , annoying person got to do with hockey. ?

We all remember what a great job she did with the Nickels franchise.

EDIT: Keep the racial slurs out of this discussion.

Mod 8
    Last edited by Mod 8; 04-09-2009 at 08:37 AM.

O Vay ..........

Quote Originally Posted by centaurus
    TORONTO (Hollywood Reporter) – Canadian pop star Celine Dion, Cirque du Soleil founder Guy Laliberte and Quebec cable giant Quebecor Media have emerged as potential bidders for the Montreal Canadiens NHL team.

Quebec broadcaster Radio-Canada said Wednesday that the Bank of Montreal has signed confidentiality agreements with 10 potential suitors who have until 5 p.m. Thursday to submit formal bids to 80 percent majority owner George Gillett, a Denver-based sports team and events promoter.

Other interested parties include U.S. investment firm Spectrum Equity; Montreal businessman Stephen Bronfman of Claridge Investments, a cousin of Warner Music Group chairman and CEO Edgar Bronfman Jr.; and the Caisse de depot et placement, a provincial pension fund giant.

In addition to picking up the hockey team, a Canadiens buyer would acquire the Bell Center arena in Montreal and a concert promotion division.

Gillett also owns Richard Petty Motorsports and the U.K.'s Liverpool soccer club.

(Editing by Sheri Linden at Reuters)

-------------------------------------------------------------------

What does this ***********, music slaughtering , annoying person got to do with hockey. ?

We all remember what a great job she did with the Nickels franchise.
    Last edited by Mod 8; 04-09-2009 at 08:37 AM.

Retired veteran hobbyist
    Who's Celien Dion?

I'd rather see Joey Saputo buy the team

Quote Originally Posted by elvix1
    he just mis typed his name... Celien is the brother of Marcel Dionne, a Former L.A. Kings.

lol
    Stay thirsty my friends

I am me, too!
    Damn, I missed the racist slur...

What about Nickel's? CÚline Dion was no longer part of Nickel's for a while when they had tax evasion charges against them. For now, Nickel's seems to fare as good as any restaurant business around. CÚline Dion still have no interest whatsoever in Nickel's since quite a long time.

Music tastes are each other's preferences. On who's authority are you allowing yourself to qualify CÚline Dion's work so harshly? Personally, I don't like her voice but I don't go around bashing her! Hey, What about Country-Western?

What do they have to do with sports? What was Teacher's (Ontario teacher pension plan) goal in trying to acquire BCE (Bell Canada Enterprises)? They have nothing to do with communications, they are about teachers! Well, it's all about MONEY! Who said Angelil/Dion would have any interests in managing the sport aspect of the club? And Angelil/Dion's company would gain the spectacle side of the deal with the Bell Center.
    Last edited by metoo4; 04-09-2009 at 01:28 PM.

I wonder how the NHL would look at either Angelil or Laliberte as potential owners of the them seeing as they are both well known for their gambling habits, mainly for their losses.

But look at it this way...if they combined their efforts they could at least insure that the Bell Centre would always have the ability to put on a sell out show when business is slow.
    And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Retired veteran hobbyist
    Techman makes a valid point. Both Angelil & Laliberte are poster boys for the evils of big-money gambling.

Leafs nation are sending a warning to Habs fans: get ready for an ownership group (or billion-dollar company) who will purchase the Habs with strictly profits in mind. Leafs fans have had difficulty accepting this mind-set from its own team, owned by the Ontario Teachers Pension Fund, whose sole objective is to make as much money as possible for its shareholders.

If i were a Habs fan, i'd be wishing that the team be purchased by a single owner (like it was with George Gillette) instead of either an ownership group or conglomerate like Quebecor.

Considering how well the last sports franchise in Montreal that was controlled by an ownership group worked out, I am inclined to agree with you, Doc.

But the main thing is to keep the Quebec government out of it because the last thing we need is a hockey team that plays like a typical Quebec gov't department...ie 4 people standing around supervising while one does all the work.
    And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Teams with single owners will almost always be able to do better that those run by consortiums or multiple partners over the long run. Everyone knows the clichee about too many chefs...

BD

Quote Originally Posted by Techman
    But the main thing is to keep the Quebec government out of it because the last thing we need is a hockey team that plays like a typical Quebec gov't department...ie 4 people standing around supervising while one does all the work.
    More like 4 people standing around and one looking for a consultant to do the work.

I wonder if the quote below is true:
    The number of civil servants in Quebec per capita is roughly twice that of Ontario, says Pierre-Pascal Gendron, a professor of economics at the Humber College Institute of Technology and Advanced Learning in Toronto.
    http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.c...=M1ARTM0013039

If so, it explains why our hospitals, roads and schools are so much better than Ontario's.

Quote Originally Posted by centaurus
    Celine Dion...potential bidder for the Montreal Canadiens

Tickets at the bell would be a sell out from people wanting to hear her sing the national anthems. Everything she touches turn to gold. If she's in, boom, instant stanley cup.
    Making hot sweet love to all your beautiful women

Retired veteran hobbyist
    If Celine ever buys the Habs, i can't wait for her to go down to the dressing room & give the team a dress down when the team starts slumping. Precious!

Hey, maybe she'll also sing the national anthems on most game nights. Can't wait to see little Rene-Charles skating with the team on practice day. Should be a lot of fun!

hey Doc if she does buy the team (which will NEVER happen) i will say the loudest GO LEAFS GO! that i ever have....... oh i really hope she does buy them HAHA!

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday
    If Celine ever buys the Habs, i can't wait for her to go down to the dressing room & give the team a dress down when the team starts slumping. Precious!

Hey, maybe she'll also sing the national anthems on most game nights. Can't wait to see little Rene-Charles skating with the team on practice day. Should be a lot of fun!

If she can't buy the Habs, she is perfectly capable of buying a new NHL team and set it up in Quebec city, yeah, bring back the Nordiques!
    Making hot sweet love to all your beautiful women

I Agree 100% that QC deserves a team! i go there for QMJHL games and they get 15,000 ppl a night give or take a few....... the atmosphere is amazing there just like for a Habs game at the Bell

Quote Originally Posted by Gotsome
    If she can't buy the Habs, she is perfectly capable of buying a new NHL team and set it up in Quebec city, yeah, bring back the Nordiques!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast