Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SWINE FLU ---- airplanes + internet = pandemic hysteria

I am not sure I would call it hysteria right now... but the world sure is at risk for a pandemic! This one seems to have spread fast, i.e cases in many US states and now in Nova Scotia and Vancouver BC... The flu itself is a very contagious disease, so if there is a bad one out there... it will be a very contagious bad one....

What I wonder more is: will this change your habits off seeing SPs?
    People who travel are the ones who are likely to import a new disease in a city so far free of this disease... SPs see many clients who travel ... SPs (this is a crude generalization here...) are not in the habit of calling in sick for things such as colds, periods, etc... So it could be that SPs would be a potential vector of transmission of a new disease... from american client in Montreal to Montreal client...

Original Dude
    Every time a new disease or such start to spread, people go crazy, just like that thing that came from Asia in the chickens, then after that there was the meat bactery from maple leaf, because of my mother paranoia i didn't eat hot dogs for over 2 months, and they where providing me my meat because they had it for safe sources...

So i think it will do its time again, and people will return to normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Halloween Mike
    Every time a new disease or such start to spread, people go crazy, just like that thing that came from Asia in the chickens, then after that there was the meat bactery from maple leaf,
    Sorry, but a bacteria found in certain meats is NOT the same thing as a flu-like virus that could potentially have a high fatality rate... In the first case, you just do as you did: don't eat the meat for a certain time and you're sure to be OK... In the second case, you don't know off hand who has the disease and it's harder to avoid if it becomes epidemic...

Recreational User
    Every time a new disease or such start to spread, people go crazy, just like that thing that came from Asia in the chickens, then after that there was the meat bactery from maple leaf, because of my mother paranoia i didn't eat hot dogs for over 2 months, and they where providing me my meat because they had it for safe sources...

So i think it will do its time again, and people will return to normal.
    Happily, then, you are not in charge of setting public health policy.

Pandemics are real, some reality-based steps to deal with a potentially serious problem are being taken.

Look up the history of pandemics on wikipedia if you don't believe me.

Here's a sample extract:

The "Spanish flu", 1918–1919. First identified early in March 1918 in US troops training at Camp Funston, Kansas. By October 1918, it had spread to become a world-wide pandemic on all continents, and eventually infected 2.5 to 5% of the human population, with 20% or more of the world population suffering from the disease to some extent. Unusually deadly and virulent, it ended nearly as quickly as it began, vanishing completely within 18 months. In six months, some 50 million were dead;[25] some estimates put the total of those killed worldwide at over twice that number
    The flu spread world-wide before we had the air-travel infrastructure we now have. The flu was spread in part by soldiers fighting in WWI.

If you aren't concerned about the next pandemic, which will absolutely come
    to pass sooner or later, then you are naive.
    You are cordially invited to toss my salad. There's an app for that!

I am me, too!
    ...because of my mother paranoia i didn't eat hot dogs for over 2 months...
    That and the way you react by minimizing the risks begs for one question: are you old enough to be on this board?

Quote Originally Posted by YouVantOption

The flu spread world-wide before we had the air-travel infrastructure we now have. The flu was spread in part by soldiers fighting in WWI.

To be fair, it was also before many of the modern medicines and vaccines were invented. Protocalls have also played a large part in halting the spread.

The cases in Halifax were fairly mild and most did not require hospitalization. Let's hope that remains the pattern.

Panic helps no one and I think it's a bit premature for things like the stock market to be reacting to it. We had "Chicken Little, the sky is falling" panics twice over the last few years with bird flu and SARS. Both were serious but hardly pandemics.

Wouldn't like to be Mexico's Minister of Tourism though.
    Last edited by Time to Punt; 04-27-2009 at 12:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Time to Punt
    The cases in Halifax were fairly mild and most did not require hospitalization. Let's hope that remains the pattern.

We had "Chicken Little, the sky is falling" panics twice over the last few years with bird flu and SARS. Both were serious but hardly pandemics.
    This is one thing that is puzzling right now: in Mexico, many people have died or have had a severe form with pneumonia and respiratory failure. None of that so far outsie of Mexico. FLuke? Simple statistics, the total number of people ill from it outside of Mexico being too small for now to have deaths? Who knows... but it is likely people outside of Mexico will die too....

A pandemic is defined by the number of people affected and the geographical spread of a disease. Yes SARS was not a pandemic, but I would not want to see anyone put SARS in the "sky is falling panic". Montreal was lucky not to get cases... Toronto, not so.

It is interesting to see the difference between some viruses in their lethality and spread. If a virus is very lethal, it has less chance of spreading very wide, because it kills most of the people who get it. Think Ebola... If on the other hand a virus is less lethal (in terms of death rate per number of people affected), it will have much more time and chances to spread... and in the end, a greater number of people affected... which can still cause a great number of deaths globally.

Recreational User
    Quote Originally Posted by hormone
    This is one thing that is puzzling right now: in Mexico, many people have died or have had a severe form with pneumonia and respiratory failure. None of that so far outsie of Mexico. FLuke? Simple statistics, the total number of people ill from it outside of Mexico being too small for now to have deaths? Who knows... but it is likely people outside of Mexico will die too....
    http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2009/...flu042709.html

The Mexican government suspects the virus was behind at least 149 deaths in Mexico, the epicentre of the outbreak, with hundreds more cases suspected.

More than 1,900 people have been hospitalized over what Mexican Health Minister José Angel Cordova Villalobos called "grave pneumonia," but 1,070 have since been released. He said health officials expect the number of new cases to rise.

Its first suspected case of swine flu was detected in the southern state of Oaxaca, Villalobos said Monday, but he added it was too early to identify the cause or geographical source.
    There are huge swathes or rural areas in mexico. people traveling back here might be in greater proportion urban dwellers who have more ready, and earlier access to hospitals.

It is simply too early to say, or to spot and predict trends.

Quote Originally Posted by Time to Punt
    We had "Chicken Little, the sky is falling" panics twice over the last few years with bird flu and SARS. Both were serious but hardly pandemics.
    Quote Originally Posted by hormone
    A pandemic is defined by the number of people affected and the geographical spread of a disease. Yes SARS was not a pandemic, but I would not want to see anyone put SARS in the "sky is falling panic". Montreal was lucky not to get cases... Toronto, not so.
    Pretty much everybody involved with SARS (with the exception of Mel 'Send in the Army" Lastman types) knows that SARS was happily a near-miss. Bird Flu was expected to be the next pandemic, and as the virologist i heard interviewed on CBC last Friday said (I'm paraphrasing) "There is some irony in the fact that we have spend the past decade preparing for avian, if swine is indeed it'.

Anyone in that community (virology, public health, epidemiology) doesn't think IF, but WHEN, when talking about pandemics.

Is this one it? We don't yet know. It is hard not to dismiss this as another press-fueled panic, one of those topics-du-jour, and it may well be. But, it may not.
    You are cordially invited to toss my salad. There's an app for that!

I am me, too!
    Quote Originally Posted by YouVantOption
    ...(I'm paraphrasing) "There is some irony in the fact that we have spend the past decade preparing for avian, if swine is indeed it'...
    Sadly, one doesn't exclude the other.

There is another factor. Migrant workers, largely from Mexico coming to the US and Canada for the summer. What thoughts have been given to that?

Swine flu?!

Sounds like something Inspector Clouseau would say!

Why worry when all we can do is pretty much nothing. Wear a mask? Trust the people we have elected to take care of us?(now that is scary!) Drive to Hudson Bay on an ATV is the best way out! Bring an sp. At least if you die you will die happy!
    Do cell phones work up there?
    "Do you accept.....CASH?"
    -Mike Myers

The funniest thing is that in Israel, for religious/kosher reasons they're referring to it simply as Mexican flu.

This is being overhyped same as bird flu and SARS - just wash ur hands, stop 2-cheek kissing everyone you meet and don't watch CNN - you'll feel like building yourself a bomb shelter and hiding for 6 weeks...

I am me, too!
    Dplus, where were you when SARS hit? Were you watching the news? Peoples in Canada died because of SARS and the death toll didn't go higher probably exactly because of the alert state that was raised. There was lots of peoples infected with SARS in Ontario but they were diagnosed and treated promptly because of this high alert level.

I was working in hospital environment at the time of SARS and believe me, there was nothing funny about it. EVERYTHING they did as a protection measure can't be discarded as useless because NOBODY can tell what would have happened if these measures had not been taken.

In my opinion, it's better to have a high alert level and lots of prevention/early diagnostic than a lots of death. After the dust settle, I find it better as a society to say "Yup, maybe we went overboard." than "Damn, we should have been more agressive." Embarrassment is better than regrets and guilt.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast