Thread: Selling a car private

Question Selling a car private

Has anyone here in quebec sold a car private before?

What are the steps to take in order to do it after you have

found the buyer and agreed on a price.

Thanks
    Last edited by master_bates; 05-04-2009 at 11:01 PM.
    Stay thirsty my friends

THANK YOU BURKIE !!!
    You just go to the SAAQ or one of their service centers along with the buyer to transfer ownership.

The SAAQ will ask for your registration and for how much you sold the car in order to charge the QST to the buyer. If the price is too low they can use a higher sales price to determine the QST payable by the buyer. Stop by any car dealer and they will have the "guide Hebdo" which has a column showing the minimum price for tax.

Lastly, as long as the sale is between two individuals (car was not registered commercially or sold to a company) there is no GST payable.

They do car registration too at the wine store? I love your French culture!

I am me, too!
    SAAQ is Société de l'Assurance Automobile du Québec.
    SAQ is Société des Alcools du Québec.

G1G have it pretty nailed-down.

For the price, just check the internet for average price in your area for a comparable car. If the car is older than 10 years, it won't be in the books anymore so SAAQ will likely take your word for the selling price.

It's not a bad idea to make yourself a private contract stating the selling price and the car's condition, honestly mentionning any problems you know about and get the buyer to sign it. This will protect you against recourses on obvious stuff. Also, if the owner doesn't get a mechanical verification on the car at his expense, before he buys it, ensure you mark it down on this contract.

Note that in Québec, you are always responsible for "vices cachés". unless you can prove you had no ideas the problem existed and couldn't expect they would occurs, or unless the buyer could not reasonably expect that problem wouldn't occur for a car in such condition.

Good idea on the contract

Best time to get in signed would be when $ is exchanged correct?
    Stay thirsty my friends

I am me, too!
    I'd say get the buyer to read the contract ahead of time and have him sign it at the time he pays.

It's best to exchange the money at the SAAQ. Do not transfer the car before you have the money in your hands or ensured the check cleared! Even certified checks can be faked so, unless the money is confirmed in your account, the car stays in your name.

SAAQ don't give a damn about the personal contract between you and the buyer.

Last, remember to call your insurance company immediately once the car is transferred. That will save you paying for nothing and will prevent you from any possible responsibility if the new owner scrap the car!