Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Woman fined $1.9 million for downloading songs

Retired veteran hobbyist

Woman fined $1.9 million for downloading songs

Woman illegally downloads 24 songs, fined to tune of $1.9 million

-Federal jury finds Jammie Thomas-Rasset guilty of illegally downloading 24 songs
    -Minnesota wife, mom slapped with fine of $80,000 per song, for total of $1.9 million
    -Attorney says client shocked at fine, noting the songs costs 99 cents each
    -Spokeswoman for the Recording Industry Association of America lauds jury's finding

(CNN) -- A federal jury Thursday found a 32-year-old Minnesota woman guilty of illegally downloading music from the Internet and fined her $80,000 each -- a total of $1.9 million -- for 24 songs.

Jammie Thomas-Rasset's case was the first such copyright infringement case to go to trial in the United States, her attorney said.

Attorney Joe Sibley said that his client was shocked at fine, noting that the price tag on the songs she downloaded was 99 cents.

She plans to appeal, he said.

Cara Duckworth, a spokeswoman for the Recording Industry Association of America, said the RIIA was "pleased that the jury agreed with the evidence and found the defendant liable."

"We appreciate the jury's service and that they take this as seriously as we do," she said.

Thomas-Rasset downloaded work by artists such as No Doubt, Linkin Park, Gloria Estefan and Sheryl Crow.

This was the second trial for Thomas-Rasset. The judge ordered a retrial in 2007 after there was an error in the wording of jury instructions.

The fines jumped considerably from the first trial, which granted just $220,000 to the recording companies.

Thomas-Rasset is married with four children and works for an Indian tribe in Minnesota.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/06/18/...ef=mpstoryview

Copyrights

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday
    Woman illegally downloads 24 songs, fined to tune of $1.9 million

-Federal jury finds Jammie Thomas-Rasset guilty of illegally downloading 24 songs
    -Minnesota wife, mom slapped with fine of $80,000 per song, for total of $1.9 million
    -Attorney says client shocked at fine, noting the songs costs 99 cents each
    -Spokeswoman for the Recording Industry Association of America lauds jury's finding

(CNN) -- A federal jury Thursday found a 32-year-old Minnesota woman guilty of illegally downloading music from the Internet and fined her $80,000 each -- a total of $1.9 million -- for 24 songs.

Jammie Thomas-Rasset's case was the first such copyright infringement case to go to trial in the United States, her attorney said.

Attorney Joe Sibley said that his client was shocked at fine, noting that the price tag on the songs she downloaded was 99 cents.

She plans to appeal, he said.

Cara Duckworth, a spokeswoman for the Recording Industry Association of America, said the RIIA was "pleased that the jury agreed with the evidence and found the defendant liable."

"We appreciate the jury's service and that they take this as seriously as we do," she said.

Thomas-Rasset downloaded work by artists such as No Doubt, Linkin Park, Gloria Estefan and Sheryl Crow.

This was the second trial for Thomas-Rasset. The judge ordered a retrial in 2007 after there was an error in the wording of jury instructions.

The fines jumped considerably from the first trial, which granted just $220,000 to the recording companies.

Thomas-Rasset is married with four children and works for an Indian tribe in Minnesota.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/06/18/...ef=mpstoryview
    As an owner of many copyrights I do not have any sympathy.

She obviously knew the cost $0.99/per and was not even willing to pay that amount for the songs.
    LISA'S FRIEND

While the fact that she is guilty is not news, the amount of the fine of $1.9 million is, and it's clearly absurd. Unfortunately it is just another in the long line of silly " Women Wins $1 million from McDonalds For Hot Coffee Spill " legal awards in the US that seem to make a mockery of the civil legal system.

What I have a hard time understanding is why the Recording Industry Association picked this woman to make an example of. Surely there are less potentially sympathetic people to go after than a mother of 4 who sounds as if she is a Native American.

Absurd

This is absurd.

If you want more background information on the recording industry and cases like this please refer to the US documentry called South Park. There are two key, landmark episodes that deal with the recording industry and this sort of thing.

First - The recording industry steals a song that Chef wrote. Throughout the episode, the rich record executive continues to claim "I am is above the law."

second - the 8 year old kids download music from the internet and are caught in a FBI sting. Kyle says "all we did was download a few songs from the internet" and the FBI takes the kids on a tour to show them the damage that they caused to these so-called pop stars in the style of "A Christmas Carol."

Wow

if i get caught i will owed them around 10 000 000 $$$

i better check my Peggy back if I'm ok !!!

Thumbs up Absurd

This is ridiculous. These record companies are making billions of dollars at the expense of working class people that do not have much a lot of them just have enough to live with the necessities. However these CEO who are going around buying $15 million dollar homes, $50 000 clothes, etc.. I have no sympathy for these record companies, celebrities, and the like. To sell these songs, movies, etc. at outrageous prices when they are really not worth much. But nothing can be done this capitalistic society was designed to favor and protect the rich businesses. Also it is a free market system and people are stupid enough to pay all this money on all these things .
    There is no knowledge that is not power.

Retired veteran hobbyist
    Quote Originally Posted by My_dingaling
    This is in the US so no worry for us Canadians.
    Copying songs is not illegal here...unfortunately.
    It isn't??

Unfortunately??

Original Dude
    Wow its the first time i see this. I don't get that, how this woman will pay this fine? Most people don't make that in a lifetime.

I mean i always tought that you become a target of the police when you start selling... Why they would go after someone who download for his personal things...?

Of course the story dosen't say it all, they talk about 99 cent things, maybe she hacked a website, wich is different then using peer to peer file sharing, or something like that.

Anyway personally i try to buy when i can, will it be movies or music, but i don't want to pay too much. For exemple i run the specials in video club for movies, i usually always buy them used at 10-12$ for new release. Lately they doing a special, 6 movies cost 20$, wich i think is nice, so i buyed 12 movies...

Unfortunaly when it comes to music, they rarely do such specials, i try to look at used cds store, but price never drop or rarely do under 10$ per cd...

So i buy only what i really like, when i like the full album, if i like just one song, i download it, and i of course its way more sample to just use mini nova instead of giving all credit card information and such on a website for a 99 cent song.
    Life is a party ! Death is the Hangover.. 70-49-6

Quote Originally Posted by jeff jones
    I have bootleg tv and bootleg everything else i can get my hands on the hell with them, the hell with them all. Take my satellite tv for example, all i have is a receiver in my house a satellite on my roof and there darn signal keeps coming right into my living room, there lucky i don't sue. i can't keep it out, so i say it is there fault not mine

You are taking money out of the mouths of Britney Spears Children! You are stealing her art!

Quote Originally Posted by CLOUD 500
    Also it is a free market system and people are stupid enough to pay all this money on all these things .
    That's the real point. I have no sympathy for the lady in question. Popular "music" is hardly a necessity of life. Nobody needs CDs, MP3s, Ipods or the like. If she stole to feed her family, that's one thing, but stealing something as frivolous as songs - she deserves the book being thrown at her.

If someone wants me to pay for the music I download they damn well better give me something encoded in much higher quality than MP3. It's gotten to the point that even CDs have lousy sound quality and everything seems to be released with the end goal of ending up on an iPod being blasted on earphones these days.

If someone puts music online in a lossless format such as FLAC, encoded from the original master tapes, then maybe I might consider giving them my money. But right now, the quality isn't any better than what I can record from an internet radio station or a satellite receiver. And doing it that way is perfectly legal.

Not that there is very much new music these days that is worth paying for in any format.
    And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Quote Originally Posted by Halloween Mike
    I mean i always tought that you become a target of the police when you start selling... Why they would go after someone who download for his personal things...?
    It was a civil lawsuit.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=a9y16Zokxk90

“From day one, we’ve been willing to settle this case for somewhere between $3,000 and $5,000,” said Cara Duckworth, an RIAA spokeswoman.

And in the EU, the Pirate Party actually wins a seat in the government.

http://torrentfreak.com/pirate-party...iament-090607/

http://torrentfreak.com/how-pirates-...litics-090608/
    And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Hey ! are we talking about this country which is the leader of the civilized free world ? You know the one who elected twice a moron who lied and f*ked up so bad the economy that we are now in a world recession...

You would have to be a f*ing moron to make her pay 1.9M for 24 songs.
    No matter what 'the law says'.

As for copyrights and patents... just one word : 'Monsanto' !
    Alleluhia ! God Bless America !

I am me, too!
    Quote Originally Posted by Techman
    If someone wants me to pay for the music I download they damn well better give me something encoded in much higher quality than MP3. It's gotten to the point that even CDs have lousy sound quality and everything seems to be released with the end goal of ending up on an iPod being blasted on earphones these days.

If someone puts music online in a lossless format such as FLAC, encoded from the original master tapes, then maybe I might consider giving them my money. But right now, the quality isn't any better than what I can record from an internet radio station or a satellite receiver. And doing it that way is perfectly legal.
    You mean, honestly, I'm not the only one on earth who think the ultra compression is ruining everything? You don't say that only to make me happy? Finding I'm not alone, that almost got me sobbing, most peoples don't even see a difference...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast