Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Transparent License Plate Covers will be Illegal

Transparent License Plate Covers will be Illegal

They interfere with the new photo radar systems.

Starting Aug. 19, Quebec drivers could be fined $200 to $1000 for having them.

So if you have them, get rid of them!

http://montreal.ctv.ca/servlet/an/lo...b=MontrealHome

Retired veteran hobbyist
    That's stupid!! It had to happen first in Quebec, once again!!!

How the hell are you now supposed to protect your license plates from wear n' tear?

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    That's stupid!! It had to happen first in Quebec, once again!!!

How the hell are you now supposed to protect your license plates from wear n' tear?
    Like the rest of us who don't want to put one of those stupid covers on our plates...spray the hell out of it with clear lacquer

Thumbs down I'LL Try this.

Quote Originally Posted by breadman View Post
    Like the rest of us who don't want to put one of those stupid covers on our plates...spray the hell out of it with clear lacquer
    breadman if what you say is true and works fine... Then You're a genius. I will try what you said for sure!!!

Retired veteran hobbyist
    What if i'm from Saskatchewan & i happen to be driving in Quebec? Will they charge me if they see that i have a transparent plate cover over my licence plate? Will i have to remove them prior to leaving Kelvington?

Hello everyone, firstly, nothing, I say nothing can hide the numbers of your plates ........... nothing. Tests were made and spray you vaporize on the plate, or the film of plastic etc, don't work. they are simply ""gadgets."" Keep your money in your pockets.
    All products ""supposed ""to works were tested..................
    The radar is very very sophisticated, i don't know if you have seen the t.v. program Myth Buster, the guys are tested all the products and more and nothing work...........
    Thank you.

My answer above was for protecting your plates. Doc, with all those sandstorms in your area im shocked you don't have your entire car clearcoated

I am me, too!
    Protect your plate? Why?

My first plate lasted 20 years and could have lasted longer if I didn't purchased a second car before selling the one it was on. I had to plate the second car while the first one was still plated.

Plate covers can actually be worst on the plate longevity as it traps moisture and whatever road salt that could seep-in. A plate without any cover or borders is likely to last as long as one who have some kind of cover, if not longer because the plate can dry-out and dirt can wash-off easier.

Now, we have those stupid "smoked" plate covers, those tinted ones, yellow, blue, red... Now that's stupid and makes the plate harder to read. I doubt many peoples with a clear cover will get pulled-over. If the cop see the plate, the camera will also so, no reason to stop a guy with a clear cover, even if theoretically, it will be illegal.

At that point, it will be the discussion as "does it really impair the visibility?" and whatever plate cover will be deemed not guilty, as long as it isn't blatant like, rendering the plate barely readable to the naked eye.

Just look at all the stupid mufflers laws: even if you can ear the "powerful motorist" (in his head...) coming from 1km away, the cops will likely loose the case in court because there's nothing allowing them to actually measure the sound level. All the noisy guy have to say is "I purchased it like that from the dealer" and have a statement from the dealer that the muffler wasn't tampered with.

Retired veteran hobbyist
    Quote Originally Posted by metoo4 View Post
    Protect your plate? Why?
    Some people live in areas where there's a lot of bugs when driving at night, and others live in areas where there are sandstorms, which all slowly damage the licence plate. And gravel roads.....

I am me, too!
    Not that many sandstorms in Québec and we don't have a front plate so, no gravel road or bugs problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    Some people live in areas where there's a lot of bugs when driving at night, and others live in areas where there are sandstorms, which all slowly damage the licence plate. And gravel roads.....
    This is merb I have a country house which theres big load of bugs and never got one on my license plate this news was applying for quebec resident and we are still waiti ng for our first sanstorm here

I have never had a problem with my plate with wear and tear or rusting

I support the new law

Quote Originally Posted by master_bates View Post
    I support the new law
    You are a Pussy. (That is not necessarily an insult as I love pussies.)

On Westminister, the speed limit is 30km/hr. Why? Local merchants lobbied for it so passing cars would see their shops. I got a speeding ticket there while I was recklessly following traffic at 40 km/hr.

The continuation of University to the South Shore has a speed limit of 70 km/hr. It is a three lane highway!

My prediction is that there are people (who are in my opinion) driving sensibly who are going to open their mailboxes one day and find 10 $300 tickets accumulated during their last week of driving courtesy of Photo Radar.
    Last edited by anon_vlad; 08-06-2009 at 12:04 AM.

I am me, too!
    Quote Originally Posted by anon_vlad View Post

My prediction is that there are people (who are in my opinion) driving sensibly who are going to open their mailboxes one day and find 10 $300 tickets accumulated during their last week of driving courtesy of Photo Radar.
    Your prediction doesn't hold water: if the cover hides the plate enough to disturb the photo radar, it won't see the plate so, they won't send any tickets. If they see the plate properly, they won't know there's a cover so, no ticket because of the cover.

Quote Originally Posted by metoo4 View Post
    Your prediction doesn't hold water: if the cover hides the plate enough to disturb the photo radar, it won't see the plate so, they won't send any tickets. If they see the plate properly, they won't know there's a cover so, no ticket because of the cover.
    I guess I didn't explain properly. I meant that once the trial period for Photo Radar is over, people will be getting speeding tickets (not tickets for hiding plates) in the mail and lots of them.
    Last edited by anon_vlad; 08-06-2009 at 12:06 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast