View Poll Results: Should Mods post PERSONAL opinion?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Absolutely, all the time on everything.

5 45.45%
  • Never. Mods must remain objective and stick only to moderating all the time

3 27.27%
  • Yes but, only if the personal opinion DO NOT involve a moderation decision. (Like "Do you think MERB is great?" My opinion: yes.)

2 18.18%
  • Yes, but only if the personal opinion DO involves a moderation decision. (Like "After being being told 3 times, I think he desserved to be banned so I did.")

1 9.09%

Thread: Should Mods post personal opinions?

Should Mods post personal opinions?

>>> NOTE BY MOD 11: Following a discussion with a fellow Mod (thanks #8) we came to the conclusion the other thread was going too far and would not achieve anything good for anybody so, in order to cease hostilities, I`ll take the blame. The link below now points to a pretty boring thread since I cleaned all posts who were not related to the original question. I`m leaving this one up because it does raise a point and is still valid, despites the other thread getting cleaned. I also cleaned this one of irrelevant posts. <<<

This thread raises an interesting question:

Should Mods share their personal opinions in their posts? Should they just "do their jobs" and keep the opinions for their other handle?

What are you thoughts? Both mods and non mods of course...

PS: This is not meant as a blow (no pun intended) to Mods, we all agree they do a pretty good job here on Merb and that most of us would not accept that thankless and payless job.
    Last edited by Mod 11; 10-07-2009 at 10:41 PM.
    MG

Veteran of Misadventures
    Apart from the thread in issue (which I did not read), don't Mods necessarily have to inject their personal opinions into judgment calls on whether to ban someone, and for how long? Aren't these determinations really just subjective application(s) of the rules? Isn't this true for any Mod on any Board?

When a baseball umpire calls a 3rd strike, isn't that his opinion? Isn't a batter likely to have another opinion? And isn't that why arguments result on calls of balls and strikes? How is this any different than what the Mods do here?

I suppose these kinds of issues are among the reasons why I would never want to be a Mod.

I think they already post their personal opinions. Much of their editing is pretty arbitrary.

Well, in my opinion...

Seriously,now. Mods generally do not express their opinion or get into discussions with members on the board. We do our best to make our decisions according to MERB rules and guidelines, keeping our personal opinions and feelings out of it, and hope that we make the best decisions for everyone on the board. But we are human, yes I know that is hard to believe, and sometimes an opinion slips out before we know it has happened. In these rare cases, feel free to disagree with our opinion if you wish. I promise that you will not get banned for doing so. As long as you do it with the same respect we ask all members to have towards each other.

When it comes to banning someone, we tend to look at the offense itself, the history of the person being banned - is he a repeat offender, a new member with an obvious agenda, the length of ban handed out for similar offenses to others in the past - a variety of things. But we try our best to keep our personal feelings out of the equation. It is not always easy to do and sometimes we probably do get pissed off at someone for one reason or other, but if you checked the banned members thread I think you will find that we are quite consistent in our decisions.

Speaking about banned members, I was checking the banned list and at the moment we only have 4 members who are sitting out a suspension aside from those who are banned permanently. That is the lowest number of currently banned members that I remember ever seeing since I have been a moderator. Considering that we have had some heated discussions on the board recently in which everyone conducted themselves very well, I think congratulations are due to every member of MERB for giving us an easier time moderating the board and making MERB an enjoyable place to post and share information as well as for us to moderate.

Thank you all!

M8

*************editted***********
    Last edited by CS Martin; 12-25-2009 at 04:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mod 8 View Post
    Well, in my opinion...

Seriously,now. Mods generally do not express their opinion or get into discussions with members on the board. We do our best to make our decisions according to MERB rules and guidelines, keeping our personal opinions and feelings out of it, and hope that we make the best decisions for everyone on the board. But we are human, yes I know that is hard to believe, and sometimes an opinion slips out before we know it has happened. In these rare cases, feel free to disagree with our opinion if you wish. I promise that you will not get banned for doing so. As long as you do it with the same respect we ask all members to have towards each other.

When it comes to banning someone, we tend to look at the offense itself, the history of the person being banned - is he a repeat offender, a new member with an obvious agenda, the length of ban handed out for similar offenses to others in the past - a variety of things. But we try our best to keep our personal feelings out of the equation. It is not always easy to do and sometimes we probably do get pissed off at someone for one reason or other, but if you checked the banned members thread I think you will find that we are quite consistent in our decisions.

Speaking about banned members, I was checking the banned list and at the moment we only have 4 members who are sitting out a suspension aside from those who are banned permanently. That is the lowest number of currently banned members that I remember ever seeing since I have been a moderator. Considering that we have had some heated discussions on the board recently in which everyone conducted themselves very well, I think congratulations are due to every member of MERB for giving us an easier time moderating the board and making MERB an enjoyable place to post and share information as well as for us to moderate.

Thank you all!

M8
    Does personality play a part in any human response...of course it does...that's what makes life interesting and great.

In my opinion have the mods here done a "fair" and/or "equitable" job in interpreting the rules and applying them - YES. The success' mentioned here by Mod 8 are a testiment to that...

I'd like to thank them all for the time and effort they dedicate to the board.

I think Mods should post their opinions. The Mods usually have experience in the field they are moderating. I think that they should even review under another handle if they wish. What I think they shouldn't do is participate in a spirited debate under a non-Mod handle and then be allowed, as a Mod, to discipline those who don't asgree with them.

Following a discussion with a fellow Mod (thanks #8) we came to the conclusion the other thread was going too far and would not achieve anything good for anybody so, in order to cease hostilities, I'll take the blame. The link below now points to a pretty boring thread since I cleaned all posts who were not related to the original question. I'm leaving this one up because it does raise a point and is still valid, despites the other thread getting cleaned. I also cleaned this one of irrelevant posts.

Poll added

I asked MG_mtl if he would mind I added a poll to this thread. I submitted the questions I had in mind and he gave me the authorization to go ahead.

This will not be binding to MERB in any ways but it can help us Mods to do our work better by knowing how members expect us to behave.

Fell free to comment also.

Thanks MG_mtl.

I would've thought the third option would be:

Only if the opinion involves a moderation decision
    MG

MG, it's your thread, you're the boss!

I added choice #4 and clarified the other 3.