Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Google Street View Now Available in Canada

Red face Google Street View Now Available in Canada

Time to put on your disguises, gents!

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&sourc...217.84,,0,9.94

How do they do it? Which cameras are these pics taken from?

Here's another one... Downtown
    MG

Quote Originally Posted by MG_mtl View Post
    How do they do it? Which cameras are these pics taken from?

Here's another one... Downtown
    They have cars that drive around taking pictures.

The faces of pedestrians are blurred ... barely, imo!

Banned
    Oh really! Thanks for the scooop!

When did they do the filming last winter early spring ? No leaves on the trees

Fuck Models Love Stripper Uncle Kracker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HeresJohnny View Post
    That's insane... now I can walk through Montreal without even leaving my living room...
    Gets me anxious for my next trip...
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's the best they're going to feel all day."
    - Dean Martin

Fuck Models Love Stripper Uncle Kracker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Time to Punt View Post
    I'd say early spring... Only because there's a banner on the front of Gentlemen's Choice saying "Welcome Hockey Fans!" or it could be within the last few weeks...
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's the best they're going to feel all day."
    - Dean Martin

I am me, too!
    The images were taken last spring.

No need to get paranoid, this won't be repeated for a while I'm certain. Just think how much this whole process probably cost and the time involved. Having peoples drive around in every little street that show on the map and coordinate the whole thing is certainly a tedious job!

Whoever spot themselves in a compromising situation can have Google remove the images, all that's required is to ask. That's part of the deal they had to agree with the the Canadian government. First thing I did was to check all my usual "guilty" spot and ensure I wasn't showing in the images!

Quote Originally Posted by metoo4 View Post
    First thing I did was to check all my usual "guilty" spot and ensure I wasn't showing in the images!
    They don't have a "street view" option for the Chablis St-Jacques!!! Yesssssssss...
    MG

Quote Originally Posted by Time to Punt View Post
    I think that some shots were taken pretty recently because if you take a 'walk' down Ste-Catherine street you'll see the sign for the new Temptation strip club which was still Chateau du Sexe last spring. At least I think it was. But when I look at other areas, it seems that they were shot last spring due to the amount of leaves on the trees. I looked at the area around my apartment and there's no way that they were shot in the last month or two because there's a lot of roadwork in my area and none of it shows in the photos and there's no leaves on the trees in the area at all but right now the trees are still quite full and have hardly begun to change colour.

Checking out my office and the cars in the parking lot, I can tell that they were shot in July when my boss was driving a particular car because he had broken his left foot and borrowed a car with an auto transmission because he couldn't use the clutch in his own car. And the trees in the area are full of leaves.

So it looks like they've been building their photo base for a few months. I guess that's to be expected considering the area they had to cover.

Now I think I better get some work done! This thing is really easy to spend hours on just looking around familiar areas.
    Last edited by Techman; 10-09-2009 at 11:55 AM.
    And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

I am me, too!
    MG_mtl, be careful! Maybe it's on it's way! The places who are not there yet are the riskier, aren't they?

I am me, too!
    MG_mtl, I just checked and Chablis St-Jacques is there! Full parking lot view when using the side street! You're toast man!

Quote Originally Posted by metoo4 View Post
    MG_mtl, I just checked and Chablis St-Jacques is there! Full parking lot view when using the side street! You're toast man!
    Chablis St-Jacques is there, but it doesn't have the "street view" link. So how'd you get to see it and I can't?

BTW Chablis Sherbrook has it, so watch out "east end perves" !!!
    Last edited by MG_mtl; 10-09-2009 at 01:09 PM.
    MG

Here's an interesting article about about how this is done from Popular Mechanics.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/tech...y/4232286.html

And this is what the cars look like, at least in the US. Don't know if they use Beetles here in Canada too. Just look for a car with a similar camera tower mounted on the roof.

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/06/01/t...a-look-at-you/

Does anyone know if they regularly update their photos or if they just do one run and maybe a yearly update?
    And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by daddyxxx View Post
    it's pretty scary that I can see right into my house. Of course I presume I can't get them to remove my house from their maps. I don't remember giving consent.
    the expectation of privacy is no greater than someone walking by your house and looking at it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast