Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winter tires, how long can I hold out?

Winter tires, how long can I hold out?

By law, winter tires must be installed before Dec. 15. How much longer can I hold out without installing them? I will go without until there is a long stretch of cold weather, or if there is snow on the way. I can wait till the last minute because I know someone with a garage that will give me immediate service. How long will you hold out?

Already on the car.

Why put it off?You could wake up any mourning with a foot of snow on the ground.

I believe the max date is DEC 15th, but good luck in trying to find someone to put them on in December

Johnny

I don't care about the law, I install winter tires so that my loved ones and I don't die.

I plan to install them before the end of the month.

Call me crazy, but I suggest you do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Hilfinger View Post
    By law, winter tires must be installed before Dec. 15. How much longer can I hold out without installing them?
    Simple math would tell you that you have 26 days. Duh!
    Jules Winnfield (Samuel L. Jackson in Pulp Fiction) English, motherfu*ker, do you speak it?

Typical Yankee fan in the Merb Sports Section!! Bwwaahh.

Quote Originally Posted by 100XTC View Post
    Why put it off?.
    They wear out a lot more quickly running around on warm pavement, as they are made of a softer rubber.

Veteran of Misadventures
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Hilfinger View Post
    By law, winter tires must be installed before Dec. 15. How much longer can I hold out without installing them?
    I assume you are only asking this question because you feel that the law is less than rigorously enforced? What are the consequences if you are caught holding out after Dec. 15? I assume a fine?

I live in Connecticut and we are not required to install winter tires, although some people do of their own volition. My experience is that if you have a good all wheel drive vehicle, that is sufficient to handle the Connecticut roads during the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by EagerBeaver View Post
    I assume you are only asking this question because you feel that the law is less than rigorously enforced? What are the consequences if you are caught holding out after Dec. 15? I assume a fine?

I live in Connecticut and we are not required to install winter tires, although some people do of their own volition. My experience is that if you have a good all wheel drive vehicle, that is sufficient to handle the Connecticut roads during the winter.
    The question is the stringency and/or means of enforcement in Qc. I cannot comment on "the snow tire police"...
    I have been told by locals about the law. Their slant was typically one is not cited or fined unless they are caught having troubles negotiating the snowy roadways OR they get stuck or are in an accident during the time snow tires are required. It was also their understanding that the law applied to all vehicles operated in Qc during the required time...including those from the states....that is not true.
    Here is everthing you may ever want to know about it:

http://www.mtq.gouv.qc.ca/portal/pag...on_pneus_hiver

Bottom line is if the vehicle is registered in Qc and there are no snows on it during the required period - you are rolling the dice.

Beav, I used to agree with you until I tried a 4 tire change to snows a few years ago...now I would never go back...I use 4 snows typically from January - March...

Quote Originally Posted by Turbodick View Post
    They wear out a lot more quickly running around on warm pavement, as they are made of a softer rubber.
    Thats true in the summer not this time of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by jman47 View Post
    _utilisation_pneus_hiver[/url]

Beav, I used to agree with you until I tried a 4 tire change to snows a few years ago...now I would never go back...I use 4 snows typically from January - March...

I have always had 4 snows on in the winter, it saves your all season from wear and you have better traction. Last year I had a new car, of course the winter tires were brand new. In the first winter storm of the winter, I came to a steep hill where people had driven up and some had to back down bacause they did not have the traction to go all the way up. My 2 wheel drive car just soldiered up the hill in the 6 inches of powdery snow with no difficulty.
    I keep my winter tires on rims and I can slap them on in 20 minutes if a snow storm is forecasted.
    Last edited by GTA refugee; 11-18-2009 at 08:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 100XTC View Post
    Thats true in the summer not this time of the year.
    I think anything warmer than 3 or 4 celcius makes the rubber soft (and wear faster) and blacktop can get a lot hotter than the ambient temperature if the sun beats down.

EB, I was a doubter of their grip until I started using them. If you have a vehicle with good AWD traction, with the winter tires you will have great AWD traction.
    For me it's all about the stopping ability.

Put mine on myself this past weekend

We all know that if temperatures are above 0 Degrees your winter tiers will wear out quicker.
    Even if this is the case, I still have mine on since last week; because of a few years ago I learned my lesson.
    I did not have my winter tiers on and it was the beginning on December, it rained the night before then it was frozen over night, the roads had black ice. Now with summer tiers you have to agree, even with the best of them you will still hit the car in front of you. Which is almost what happen, if the vehicle in-front of me didn’t think fast and got out of the way just in time I would have rammed him,…. Now imaging if this was a person crossing the road!!! Can you live with that?

I have quite a few Engineers working with me, and there respond to this was,

Johnny, it’s not the snow you have to worry about, we are in Montreal and all you have to do is follow the 50 cars that past in front of you that already made the way.

But it’s the ice that the 50 cars that past in-front of you and that have stopped at the same place, make that ice nice and smooth for you to roll right through your stop sign.

Not my 2 cents, but this time my experience.

Johnny

Quote Originally Posted by EagerBeaver View Post
    I live in Connecticut... if you have a good all wheel drive vehicle, that is sufficient ....
    I don't know what the conditions are like in Connecticut, but AWD only helps forward traction. It does not help stopping distance at all, nor does it help steering at all. In fact, it slightly reduces the effectiveness of both.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast