Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Computer speakers - Altec Lansing speakers that will blow you away for $99

Computer speakers - Altec Lansing speakers that will blow you away for $99

I would like to let you guys in on a good thing. I purchased before Christmas a set of speakers for my computer that blew me away. Everyone that heard these speakers were blown away and many went out to buy a set for themselves. At $99 I gave 4 sets away as Christmas presents and everyone I gave them to were very happy and told me so.
    Today I was at Future shop and noticed that they still had some around, I was told by the sales person that they were liquidating them because the speakers were the less desirable flat black color and that the new model was replacing this model.
    Do yourself a favor and go take a listen at Future Shop. For the sound you get, they are a bargain.

Check them out.

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...51&catid=11553
    Last edited by GTA refugee; 01-13-2010 at 06:00 PM.

I picked up a set of these on sale a year ago, and I couldn't agree more. The sound is absolutely incredible. The subwoofer under the desk can rattle the drawers! (the desk drawers, not mine. LOL )
    Shorter of breath...One day closer to death. Pink Floyd

Retired veteran hobbyist
    Would they be able to be plugged into a laptop?

They can be used with laptop computers.

If you are planning to use them at home, they would work as well on a laptop as it would a desktop computer.

Retired veteran hobbyist
    Quote Originally Posted by GTA refugee View Post
    If you are planning to use them at home, they would work as well on a laptop as it would a desktop computer.
    Thanks. I wasn't sure if i needed more than one audio output for those type of speakers. I only have one.

there good speakers but it sounds like u have been using the old school no subwoofer ones for years cause any of the new generation ones with subwoofers over $100 are exceptional and have been around for a couple years

Those are decent speakers for the price. Not many people need anything more than that for their computer unless they're using it as a media center. The 5.1 surround setups are great until you realize you have to find somewhere to put 5 speakers plus a sub. The 2.1 sets are perfect for most of us and great to use with laptops. Logitech also have some decent sets for good prices.
    And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

You can use it for you flat screen TV as well.

I have one set attached to my flat screen TV, you do not need much more than that and you get great sound.

A little more expensive, ProMedia 2.1 by Klipsch. Now with wireless.

Retired veteran hobbyist
    Just bought myself a set of these speakers at The Source for $84.99 & they sound great!!!

Thanks GTA refugee for the post!!!

p.s. But that 'humming' noise in the background when i'm not listening to anything can be a tad annoying......hope i'll get used to it.
    Last edited by Doc Holliday; 02-21-2010 at 12:07 AM.

My set of speakers do not hum, maybe you got a defective set?

Guys,

Any advice on home theater speakers ("Tannoy", Speakercraft, etc.)?

Looking for a 5-speaker set-up. I hear some of these might get really expensive, since you also have to add one or two sub-woofers.

Any links would be appreciated, reviews, etc. would be appreciated.

I started out with a Yamaha receiver and went 100% Yamaha after that with the speakers and subwoofer. It ended up being expensive only because I didn't buy it all in one shot. Don't get me wrong, I really like the sound, but if I was to do it all over again I would have purchased a soundbar or an "all in one" system at Costco instead of piecing it all together. Depending on how serious you take your home theater set up will determine just how much money your going to spend. Just a decent receiver can run you $400 - $500 where a soundbar could cost around $200 - $300 and possibly do the trick. Hope this was helpful.

Retired veteran hobbyist
    Quote Originally Posted by GTA refugee View Post
    My set of speakers do not hum, maybe you got a defective set?
    I don't think i did. Many of the reviews i've read on that particular set of speakers have mentionned the same thing. However, with some fine-tuning (e.g. putting the level of 'base' in the middle), you can pretty much get rid of the 'hum'. I guess i must be getting used to them, since the humming barely bothers me anymore....i hardly notice it. I still think those speakers are a great buy!

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    ...But that 'humming' noise in the background when i'm not listening to anything can be a tad annoying...
    It could be a ground loop, try moving the speaker cables around.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast