Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vancouver Olympics

Vancouver Olympics

What in inauspicious start to the games. The opening ceremonies are barely underway and I have to think that things are going rather shitty so far. First the Luger from Georgia dies on a practice run today. Next the "head of state" section is missing people because the invited Aboriginal Chiefs can't bother to show up on time for the ceremony. Then, an indulgent version of the Canadian national athem is twisted into some sort of a lame pop song while people stand at attention and tolerate it. Next the aboriginals get on and beat their drums for what feels like an hour. The olympics blow so far, but hopefully lots of great performances to come on what counts - the athletic stage.

Banned
    I am watching the opening ceremony right now, I am enjoying it, I like the fact that Canada is and will be the center of attention in international news and I am proud to be a Canadian.

I always hate it when they try to modernize or spice up a country's anthem. I really love Nicky Yanofski and I think she is an amazing singer, but the anthem didn't impress me and neither did the lip syncing.
    And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

K.D. Lang was superb! I'm sure Leonard Cohen would have been proud of her rendition of his amazing song.
    Last edited by insidevoice; 02-13-2010 at 01:22 AM.

Here's a link to the deadly luge accident.
    Jules Winnfield (Samuel L. Jackson in Pulp Fiction) English, motherfu*ker, do you speak it?

Typical Yankee fan in the Merb Sports Section!! Bwwaahh.

Retired veteran hobbyist
    Quote Originally Posted by insidevoice View Post
    K.D. Lang was superb! I'm sure Leonard Cohen would have been proud of her rendition of his amazing song.
    I've heard so many different versions of 'Hallelujah' recently that the song is starting to get on my nerves. My favorite version is sung by Rufus Wainright & it's too bad he wasn't the one singing it last night:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmbQEQltOwM

But i do agree that k.d. Lang did a great job with the song.

Want to know who also does a great version of the song? Former NHL player Claude Lemieux, having dubbed his own version for one of his performances during Battle of the Blades.

Retired veteran hobbyist
    The opening ceremonies were kind of dull for my liking. The songs were okay, even though most of them were lipsynched. Too bad the lighting of the flame were somewhat screwed up since one of the hydraulic poles (or whatever you call that thing) wasn't working....three came up instead of four.

My favorite part of the ceremonies was seeing the people who carried the Olympic flag into the stadium, including Donald Sutherland, Jacques Villeneuve & Bobby Orr. I had predicted Steve Nash would show up for the lighting of the torch.

The best opening & closing ceremonies of all Olympics for me were the ones in Sydney, Australia. If it was my choice, they'd hold the Olympics in Australia every 4 years!

the highlight for me of the opening ceremonies was seeing Nelly Furtado in that sexy curve hugging dress!

Retired veteran hobbyist
    Quote Originally Posted by lgna69xxx View Post
    the highlight for me of the opening ceremonies was seeing Nelly Furtado in that sexy curve hugging dress!
    A buddy of mine told me that Sarah McLaughlin performed. Did she? I must have been enjoying the Flyers destroy the Habs when she sang.

not sure about Sarah M...... Nelly F is much more my type, and she was looking F I N E

Veteran of Misadventures
    Why is this thread in the lounge? Are the Olympics not sports or a sports event warranting inclusion in the sports discussion forum?

Regarding the deadly luge accident:

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?...g;mostpopvideo

I think the organizers of the Olympics insulted not only the dead luger's family but also the intelligence of any person who saw this video and the aftermath by saying that "human error", and not the track, was "the cause of this accident." The issue is not what caused the accident; the issue is what caused this man to be killed. In watching this video he lost control of the sled and was hurled head first into a steel pole. While I understand that he was going 140 km/hour at the time and if the pole wasn't there he was going to be hurled against something else, the question is whether there should have been something else to be thrown into and whether he would have lived, if there was. By framing the issue the way they did, they are assholes who needlessly insulted the man's memory and the intelligence of all sporting fans in a thinly veiled effort to cover some ass.

One thing I found a bit strange was the EMTs administering CPR on a man who was obviously dead with his mouth open and eyes staring up at the sky. I was wondering what is an EMT's training is in this regard? I guess the training must be to keep providing CPR until there is a pronouncement of death at a medical facility or by a medical doctor? I probably should know the answer to this but I don't.
    Last edited by EagerBeaver; 02-14-2010 at 09:27 AM.

Ya, I wouldn't doubt that they want to avoid legal liability by admitting that the track was at fault.

What they should have done, and what they've done now, is put higher walls in that area, in case someone flies out of control.

Then, the person would safely slide against a flat wall instead of a steel pole.

The US keeps coming from behind to win their medals.

In speed skating, the Koreans almost swept the medals. Then, 2 of the Koreans wiped out, with Apolo Ohno and another American sliding into their spots to get silver and bronze.

In women's mogul, Montreal's Jenn Heil was favored to win Gold for Canada, but then Hannah Kearney, the American with poor rankings from Torino, gets a higher score than Heil, so the US gets Gold and Bronze.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    A buddy of mine told me that Sarah McLaughlin performed. Did she? I must have been enjoying the Flyers destroy the Habs when she sang.
    She was there but I think saying she actually performed is stretching it a bit. She did do her best lip sync though. Nelly looked great but another sync job. I think the only singers that actually sang live were K.D.Lang and maybe the opera diva who sang the Olympic Hymn.
    K.D. did a great version of the song, but the best remains Leonard Cohen's original.

I don't understand what the purpose is of having the artists there if they aren't actually going to sing. Might as well just play a video of them or have the song play to accompany the action as they did with Joni Mitchell. Thankfully, Eric Clapton and Jeff Beck won't be faking it when they play the Bell Center on the 22nd.
    And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Banned
    Hello all,

Regarding the fatal accident, the Luger comes off the turn at a high angle then first slams into the corner of the inside wall right where the course transitions suddenly into a flat track and ricochets into the beams. I know there have been many many safe runs on this track, but considering this severe transition it's amazing the track designers didn't consider the need for more containment given the high centripetal forces on these curves and the problems of turning into such a drastic flat transition with the obviously real possibility of someone be tossed around brutally like a projectile. Too bad safety and sense doesn't seem to have been as high on the priority list as speed and challenge.

Sadly,

Merlot

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast