Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1 CAN $ = 78.88 US cents !!!

1 CAN $ = 78.88 US cents !!!

Sorry I had to gloat !

I know you Americans (as well as many Canadian exporting companies) are not thrilled, but I sure am ! I'm planning a little week-end of fun in NYC ! And it's getting cheaper every day !

PS: thanks for correcting me Avery
    Last edited by MG_mtl; 09-30-2004 at 01:33 PM.
    MG

Veteran of Misadventures
    It's disgusting! I can remember in 2002 when it was $1US=64 cents CDN!

But in NYC no currency goes very far! Bring some extra$!

Good one SL !!!
    MG

Gentleman Horndog
    You guys all have your conversions reversed. It's now $1.00 Canadian = 78.88 US cents vs. 63 US cents a couple of years ago. The US dollar is shrinking a lot vs. the Canadian dollar, but the USD is still worth more.

And I remember when it was $1.00 Canadian = $1.06 US (in the late fifties and also in the early seventies).

No problem CaptRenault. We'll just buy another US company or two while its high. *grins*
    "I am a kind of paranoiac in reverse. I suspect people of plotting to make me happy." - J. D. Salinger

Re: Please do so!

Originally posted by CaptRenault
    We will then take those dollars that you spent on buying US companies and trade them for loonies so we can keep buying your women!
    Indeed, please do so. Our women are a newable resource and they enjoy the huge profit margins.
    "I am a kind of paranoiac in reverse. I suspect people of plotting to make me happy." - J. D. Salinger

Veteran of Misadventures
    A couple of years ago on TBD there was a long, rambling, asinine post by a poster named "Stoopid" which was essentially a diatribe against American hobbyists coming to Canada and buying "our" Canadian women (to use his words). I frankly find it bizarre and asinine for either Americans or Canadians to use a possessive (no offense CR) in relation to Canadian women.

Re: Re: Please do so!

Originally posted by JustaJohn
    I wonder what 'our' women, as you put it, think about this statement.

JaJ
    Coincidentally, I have never met a funny person who chides others for sexist jokes. My theory is that the "chiders" either lack the imagination to make jokes and want to bring others down to their dreary level or think that they can get laid by appearing to be sensitive males.

A friend of mine, on hearing that a very fat male acquaintance had lost 100 pounds, exclaimed, "What, no more tits!".
    Life would be poorer if people feared censure for such remarks.

Really, political correctness rears its moronic countenance on a site devoted to prostitution!

Gentleman Horndog
    I don't worry about that. I just fuck some of their women when I'm in the USA.

not going there anymore
    not good for export business. not good at all !

Veteran of Misadventures

Loonie Headed Back Down

Finally some good news:

http://www.cbc.ca/story/business/nat...ar-050119.html

Hopefully it will sink back down to about US 65 cents.

Say what you will

Canada (Montreal especially) is like one big playground for us US citizens. Regardless of the exchange, we enjoy residing in the best (and most powerful) country ever to exist

Veteran of Misadventures
    Well, let's not forget that this thread was actually started by a Montreal native interested in travelling to the USA to take advantage of the weakened US dollar. Such travel by Canadians should be enjoyed in the near future because the loonie is going to drop by the end of 2005.

The good news for Americans is that the upward trend of the loonie towards par with the USD$ has apparently stalled.

Although the local hobbyists often fail to appreciate it, when the U.S. dollar strengthens and tourism is up, there is a trickle down effect on the local hobby markets which benefits them. Prices will not drop with increased demand - they will stay the same - but supply will increase. The increased supply has a trickle down effect as the locals have more choices with more girls working at both the SCs and the agencies. Also, some of these girls are being kept off welfare, so indirectly, there are tax benefits as well, as the burden of taxation is eased by these additional monies pumping into the local economy, creating income where none previously existed except through the government.
    Last edited by EagerBeaver; 01-19-2005 at 09:09 PM.

proud infidel

loonie, US dollar and revenues...

I heard that the reason why the loonie has slipped a bit with respect to the US dollar in recent months was because it was overrated. But i wouldn't be surprised if it would hold steady around .80-.82 US dollar through 2005. I also heard that the US dollar is loosing ground with the Euro as more and more countries are switching there money reserve assets from US currency to the Euro.

Secondly, with respect to what EB said, i'm not too sure there exists an incremental increase in local sp recruits as the number of American hobbyists travelling to MTL increases amid a strong US dollar context. IMHO, i wouldn't be surprised that , in MTL at least, there is a plateau effect regardless of the increase in demand. As i've already stated somewhere else, since MTL is a " cheap" market, you're less likely to find HDH from New-York, New-Jersey, Boston or Toronto come here to work anyhow.

And, finally, about taxation, i'm not sure i follow you EB. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the girls, originally on welfare, who decide to become sps continue receiving their welfare cheques while at the same time "working" since they probably do not declare any of their revenues (at least that's what i'd be tempted to do ).

femaleluver
    Last edited by femaleluver2; 01-20-2005 at 08:26 AM.
    fml

Veteran of Misadventures
    Quote Originally Posted by femaleluver
    And, finally, about taxation, i'm not sure i follow you EB. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the girls, originally on welfare, who decide to become sps continue receiving their welfare cheques while at the same time "working" since they probably do not declare any of their revenues (at least that's what i'd be tempted to do ).

femaleluver
    Interesting point but my guess is that a girl who decides to work as a stripper, in public view, would run a serious risk of being arrested for welfare fraud as I understand it is prosecuted aggressively in Canada.......an SP might be a different story, but surely she would be a lot more likely to get busted for welfare fraud than for working as an SP, whether the income is declared or not. What usually happens, femaleuver, and I know this from experience, is that in these situations the person engaged in fraud gets ratted out (and caught) because of a tip to the authorities by an ex - boyfriend, an ex co worker, a person with an axe to grind in their life etc. The Canadian DRS or whatever the agency is receives an "anonymous" phone call, they send out an investigator, engage in surveillance etc. Works the same way in USA but usually in connection with Social Security and Worker's Compensation fraud. And I can tell you that when the party engaged in fraud is caught, they can't believe they were caught, and it's usually because they are really stupid and don't realize that there are others in the world who are not so stupid...........
    Last edited by EagerBeaver; 01-20-2005 at 08:49 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast