Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What best symbolizes Montreal?

What best symbolizes Montreal?

I was wondering what best symbolizes Montreal.
    NYC has the Statue of Liberty, Empire state, the Brooklyn bridge (and formerly the twin towers), Paris has the Eiffel tower and the Arch of triumph, London has Big Ben and London bridge.
    Here in Montreal what is it?
    The profile of the Mountain with the cross, the Jacques-Cartier bridge, Place-ville Marie, The Stadium tower or is it Café Cléopatra?
    Captain out!

It would have to be those big red lips up over Place Des Arts, you know, over the museum. The island and laval are shaped like a big kiss mark
    Making hot sweet love to all your beautiful women

Banned
    What best symbolizes Montreal?

walk around town on a clear summer day... enough said.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff jones View Post
    Somhow i doubt that the city of montreal wants to make cleo's the focal point of there tourist advertising.
    Loll...I hope you knew I was joking!

Don't know about Cleo's but I remember seeing the SuperSexe sign in a lot of tourist videos on Montreal. Years ago they used to show the famous window of The Shack stripclub where you could see the silhouette of the dancer on stage from St-Catherine street in travel films. It's next to impossible to make a travel video on Montreal that doesn't show one strip club or other somewhere in the video.

But to answer the question...I think the symbol on Montreal used to be the cross on Mount Royal but now it's the tower on the Big Owe that symbolizes Montreal. A city that seems to be permanently under construction or repair and none of the work ever seems to be done properly.
    And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

There are so manic things that are emblematics that's kind of hard to name only a few.

St. Joseph's Oratory
    The University of Montreal Tower
    Jacques Cartier Bridge
    The Big Orange Julep on Décarie
    Old Montreal
    and so on...
    ἄνθρωπος μέτρον
    Man is the measure of all things

Sexo sin pecado es como huevo sin sal (Le sexe sans péché est comme un œuf sans sel/Sex without sin is like an egg without salt) [Carlos Fuentes]

A poor corrupt official
    Last edited by CaptRenault; 09-24-2010 at 08:25 PM.
    Strasser: By the way, the murder of the couriers, what has been done?
    Renault: Realizing the importance of the case, my men are rounding up twice the usual number of suspects.
    Heinze: We already know who the murderer is.
    Strasser: Good. Is he in custody?
    Renault: Oh, there's no hurry. Tonight he'll be at Rick's. Everybody comes to Rick's.

Potholes
    A lot of cigarette stubs on the streets
    ἄνθρωπος μέτρον

Sexo sin pecado es como huevo sin sal (Le sexe sans péché est comme un œuf sans sel/Sex without sin is like an egg without salt) [Carlos Fuentes]

the last of the mohicans
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainPicard View Post
    I was wondering what best symbolizes Montreal.
    NYC has the Statue of Liberty, Empire state, the Brooklyn bridge (and formerly the twin towers), Paris has the Eiffel tower and the Arch of triumph, London has Big Ben and London bridge.
    Here in Montreal what is it?
    The profile of the Mountain with the cross, the Jacques-Cartier bridge, Place-ville Marie, The Stadium tower or is it Café Cléopatra?
    Captain out!

I would definitely say the 'potholes'
    horrible ,pitiful, road conditions
    the most overtaxed place....
    As for landmarks......
    There's a huge structure that looks like the star ship enterprise from an angle... That's sinking in the ground every year, cost us multi-millions .. And is pretty much useless.. The Olympic stadium..?

Having a theme park on an island isn't unique .. but it's still cool!

But I have to go with my first statement...!
    When I think of home.. From anywhere else in the world, I can't get past how horrible our roads are.... You have to leave Montreal to fully grasp this !!
    Oh, and our bridges ressemble those that you'd expect to find in countrys that have had civil wars.. Or are just plain impoverished..
    "Scars remind us where we've been. They don't have to dictate where we're going"

Habs?
    It is Smoked Meat of course.
    How about grill-spice rub?
    Molson?
    Naked women? With grill-spice rub on them and eating a smoked meat sandwich while watching a Habs game and drinking a beer

What best represent Montreal is their colourful people. Sophisticated, witty, well educated people like the Lavigueur

A couple of years ago I would have said without a doubt: The Great Antonio!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-MsT...eature=related
    ἄνθρωπος μέτρον

Veteran of Misadventures
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee View Post
    The image of Bonhomme Carnaval with a suitcase overflowing with cash is as searing an image as I have ever seen. The only thing more searing would have been an image of Youppi sucking Jeffrey Loria's erect penis.

M-o-n-t-r-e-a-l = P-r-o-s-t-i-t-u-t-e-s

I love em. The petite blond or brunette dancer that can be seen all over North America is Montreal's greatest export. Oh the love these SPs can give! I love em all!
    Last edited by hungry101; 09-28-2010 at 08:21 AM.

Our metro system... seriously.
    A lot of tourist are amazed by it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Stotch View Post
    Our metro system... seriously.
    A lot of tourist are amazed by it.
    it's not air conditioned, not 24 hrs, not uniformly clean.

amazing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast