Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sad day for Montreal: the Grand Plaza Hotel (a.k.a Crown Plaza) shuts down

Retired veteran hobbyist

Sad day for Montreal: the Grand Plaza Hotel (a.k.a Crown Plaza) shuts down

So sad......i think i'll cancel my upcoming trip to Montreal.....

http://www.montrealgazette.com/trave...909/story.html

Many hotels in Montreal have change hands in the past couple of years. As a whole the economics of Montreal hotels is not rosy...

It's a whole new ballgame
    Special K will be heartbroken. I doubt he'll ever come back to Montreal.
    Last edited by rumpleforeskiin; 10-06-2010 at 07:22 PM.
    The mounties always get their man.

Retired veteran hobbyist
    Quote Originally Posted by rumpleforeskiin View Post
    Special K will be heartbroken. I doubt he'll ever come back to Montreal.
    I know. I heard he owned some shares of that hotel. He certainly will be as heartbroken as i am......i hope he isn't considering jumping off the Champlain bridge.

First LeBlanc, then the Hard Rock Cafe. And now, that loveable Plaza Hotel closing down. Montreal loses another landmark. What's next? Cafe Cleopatra? Chez Paree? I don't know if i'll be able to cope with this recent loss!

Le Grand Plaza....so many wonderful memories come to mind when i think of that place. The last time i stayed there, the sp i was with nearly burnt the place down when her purse caught fire. Another time, i nearly bled to death when i broke a glass & accidently stepped on it just as my date was about to knock on the door. You should have seen the look of horror on her face when she took a look at the bathroom floor....it looked like a mini-massacre had just occurred there. I still remember parking my car in the underground garage & thinking it reminded me of a creepy dungeon. Now that i think of it....those memories aren't exactly good ones!
    Last edited by Doc Holliday; 10-06-2010 at 07:34 PM.

Good riddance, unfortunately it will open up as something else in about a week probably. F'n shithole hotel!
    Jules Winnfield (Samuel L. Jackson in Pulp Fiction) English, motherfu*ker, do you speak it?

Typical Yankee fan in the Merb Sports Section!! Bwwaahh.

I'm not really surprised that the Grand plaza Hotel is shutting down. The Hotel industry is really competitive in MTL and shitty hotels are really going through a very badtime. The economy downturn forced many hotels to change their pricing just to maintain the same volume of businesss.

Veteran of Misadventures
    This news changes the dynamics of Priceline bidding. Many were avoiding bidding on the 3 stars out of fear of an acceptance by the Crowne Plaza. Now that this fear has been removed, 3 star bidding should again become de rigueur.

Quote Originally Posted by duetoday View Post
    Many hotels in Montreal have change hands in the past couple of years. As a whole the economics of Montreal hotels is not rosy...
    Saw the same thing in Boston for exemple and around the world for that matter.
    The hotel business is very competitive.
    Hell even Ritz Carlton is owned by Mariott now.

And the one in Boston was sold to the Tata group.
    Anyway !

A poor corrupt official
    Quote Originally Posted by EagerBeaver View Post
    This news changes the dynamics of Priceline bidding. Many were avoiding bidding on the 3 stars out of fear of an acceptance by the Crowne Plaza. Now that this fear has been removed, 3 star bidding should again become de rigueur.
    Good point, Eager. But exactly what are the 3* Priceline hotels in Montreal right now? Biddingfortravel.com lists these hotels as 3*, but these lists are usually not very up to date. Also, what were the previous names of the Crowne Plaza?

3 Star
    Novotel Montreal Centre LINK TO HOTEL REVIEW
    Delta Montreal LINK TO HOTEL REVIEW
    Holiday Inn Select LINK TO HOTEL REVIEW
    Holiday Inn Montreal Midtown
    Grand Plaza (formerly Doubletree) LINK TO HOTEL REVIEW
    Residence Inn Downtown LINK TO HOTEL REVIEW
    Courtyard Montreal LINK TO HOTEL REVIEW
    Gouverneur Place Dupuis
    Strasser: By the way, the murder of the couriers, what has been done?
    Renault: Realizing the importance of the case, my men are rounding up twice the usual number of suspects.
    Heinze: We already know who the murderer is.
    Strasser: Good. Is he in custody?
    Renault: Oh, there's no hurry. Tonight he'll be at Rick's. Everybody comes to Rick's.

I travel to Montreal every year with a group of about 100 people. We've stayed at the Grand Plaza every year for the last five years. We'll all miss it. A better location and much more charm than the sterile corporate shit holes downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by rumpleforeskiin View Post
    I travel to Montreal every year with a group of about 100 people. We've stayed at the Grand Plaza every year for the last five years. We'll all miss it. A better location and much more charm than the sterile corporate shit holes downtown.
    Now this is what I call the good life !
    What'd you do ? turn the hole place into an orgie ?
    Hooo weee ! Rumple ur da man !!!!

A poor corrupt official
    In answer to my own question, from the Gazettte article:

The hotel, known as the Grand Plaza Montréal Centre-ville...The hotel has changed owners and names several times since 2006, switching from the Hôtel Crowne Plaza Métro Centre to the Double-Tree Plaza Hotel Centre-ville.

I never stayed there, but I was always afraid to bid on a 3* because of the many bad reviews this hotel had. Sorry Rumple, I trust your judgment, but this hotel just had too many people who hated it.
    Strasser: By the way, the murder of the couriers, what has been done?
    Renault: Realizing the importance of the case, my men are rounding up twice the usual number of suspects.
    Heinze: We already know who the murderer is.
    Strasser: Good. Is he in custody?
    Renault: Oh, there's no hurry. Tonight he'll be at Rick's. Everybody comes to Rick's.

Of the remaining 3 stars hotels on the priceline list, are there any not great for hobbying? i.e. not centrally located, need card for elevator....

Quote Originally Posted by CaptRenault View Post
    Sorry Rumple, I trust your judgment, but this hotel just had too many people who hated it.
    Louis, If you read the reviews on TripAdvisor, they were 90% very positive until about a year ago, which pretty much coincides with the time new ownership took over. The reviews of the past year are horrible.

I haven't stayed there in over a year, but I quite liked it. While it wasn't as luxurious as the Vogue, HDLM, or Intercontinental, it also wasn't corporate sterile like the Sheraton and Hyatt. It also wasn't as beat up as the Holiday Inns. Among the things most guys here didn't like about it was it's location, removed from the downtown. I found its location, at the junction of the Plateau and Latin Quarter a big plus.

Also the fact that they didn't charge for internet and that there is plenty of free parking on neighboring streets both make it less expensive than other Priceline hotels selling for the same price.

My sense is that most of the guys who didn't like the place would stay at a Sheraton in Paris.

stayed there 4 nights in the summer of 2008
    the Doubletree By Hilton Montreal Centre-Ville
    $57 on priceline
    close to the bus station
    free fast internet
    they gave me a high floor looking west
    I banged a sp at the window with the curtains open when it was still light out
    I stumbled up the hill from hanging in the LQ a few times
    good times good memories for me

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast