Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 65

Thread: What a difference a decade makes for American hobbyists (2001-2011)

  1. #1

    What a difference a decade makes for American hobbyists (2001-2011)

    Seen quite a few threads recently around exchange rates, gas prices, or just the economy in general so wanted to paint a picture for everyone. Not a complaint thread – strictly the facts m'am

    Assumptions:
    2 night trip at an acceptable business hotel (not the Days Inn, not the Vogue)

    $120/night
    plus another $60/night in various fees, parking, & internet

    2 SP's per night

    $50 CAD per night for food and beverage

    Driving from New York City

    2001:

    Exchange Rate was approximately 1.57

    Asservissante was $140/hr (which based on memory might have been on the high end)
    Breaks down to <$90 USD/hr
    $357 total

    $360 CAD for hotel & parking (I don't have any stats on this but I don't recall CAD base hotel rates changing much in the last 10 years)
    $228 USD

    Average car got 22 mpg fuel economy @ $1.50 gallon (750m round trip)
    $51 USD

    $100 CAD food and beverage
    $64 USD

    2001 Total Trip Cost: $699.68


    2011:

    Exchange Rate is approximately 0.97

    Asservissante is $180/hr
    x4
    $740 USD total

    $360 CAD for hotel & parking
    $367 USD

    Average car gets 23 mpg fuel economy @ $3.50 gallon (750m round trip)
    $115 USD

    $100 CAD food and beverage
    $103 USD

    2011 Total Trip Cost: $1324.79

    US Inflation from 2001 to 2011 is up slightly over 20%

    Hobbying Costs over same period up 89.3%

  2. #2
    Fun n games til some1...
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,159
    Great post... the xchange has been a killer for Americans. On the bright side, hobbying in city like Toronto would cost you 30-50% more for every line item so there's your silverlining.

  3. #3
    Veteran of Misadventures
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    13,155
    It's pretty much all tied in to the exchange rate which actually spiked in 2002, one year later, before starting a long decline. The summer of 2002 was the best summer ever for American hobbyists, financially, and I was in Montreal 3 times that summer to enjoy it.

  4. #4
    Thanks for doing the research and spelling out what I have definitely felt in the wallet. What passes for a silver lining for me is that in 2001 I was still able to see five or six SPs in a day (I was a horny bastard when I was younger.) Now it's a big struggle to see more than one. So I guess that's where the savings lie for me.

  5. #5
    Fun n games til some1...
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,159
    Quote Originally Posted by 10-4Roger View Post
    In 2001 total damages was $100 to $120; now in 2011, it is $180 minimum. An increase of 50% to 80% in $. Wonder what can explain this huge increase?...
    I think MTL agencies had 3 reasons to move the entry fee up:

    1) gas price - everyone used that explanation

    2) bad USD-Cdn exchange rate probably lead to decrease in US clients shopping in MTL so they increased the price to make up for "lower" volume

    3) trying to stay relative to increased in other major mkts like Toronto where entry fee is $250+

    Relative to a therapist or a spa, Mtl hobbying rates are reasonable + comparable (though we'd all love more for less, I'm no different) and I'd much rather have an hr with an SP than an hr with a person making me talk ...and offering little feedback.

  6. #6
    Veteran of Misadventures
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    13,155
    I agree. Decreased demand usually leads to a decrease in price, not an increase, if supply remains constant. This is the 1st thing you learn in any introductory college economics course. Supply can usually be expected to remain constant in this industry.

  7. #7

    Rusty brought up a very good topic !

    This is a very good thread. In year 2001, I used Mr. Jacques's ageny almost exclusively and I remember the hourly rate was $130. Mr.Jacques kept this rate until year 2006.
    Last edited by Montreal2008; 03-09-2011 at 11:55 AM.

  8. #8
    Kansas Frank
    Guest

    Unhappy

    Perhaps this reversal of fortune for the US will encourage more Montreal SP's to tour the States.

    The going rate seems to be $300/hour for "out call" for many of the Montreal SP's who cross the border to the States. Perhaps the law of supply and demand will intervene in the States for the benefit of US Hobbyists and Montreal SP's.

  9. #9

    You need to take this fact into consideration.

    Quote Originally Posted by evillethings View Post
    ......3) trying to stay relative to increased in other major mkts like Toronto where entry fee is $250+

    Relative to a therapist or a spa, Mtl hobbying rates are reasonable + comparable (though we'd all love more for less, I'm no different) and I'd much rather have an hr with an SP than an hr with a person making me talk ...and offering little feedback.
    As far as I know, very few US hobbyists went to Toronto just for this hobby. They went to Toronto mainly for business or something else. I know many US hobbists came to Montreal just for this hobby.

  10. #10
    I don't hobby in the States, K-Frank. They throw dangerous hobbyist criminals in prison here.

  11. #11
    Sixty Minute Man
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    201
    KF, $300 - $325 is also the going "in call" rate for MTL SP's in the states (NY / Boston).

    Quote Originally Posted by Kansas Frank View Post
    Perhaps this reversal of fortune for the US will encourage more Montreal SP's to tour the States.

    The going rate seems to be $300/hour for "out call" for many of the Montreal SP's who cross the border to the States. Perhaps the law of supply and demand will intervene in the States for the benefit of US Hobbyists and Montreal SP's.
    That bass player's a babe. She makes me feel kinda funny, like when we used to climb the rope in gym class.

    ... Wayne's World

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by bumfie View Post
    I don't hobby in the States, K-Frank. They throw dangerous hobbyist criminals in prison here.
    b,

    Ain't that the truth. Why bother to hobby in the States. CR is 3 hours and MTL is 3.75 hrs now. Think about it this way, if Obama would get both Pot & Hooking legalized, we might be able to balance the budget. Not to mention the trade deficit. Damn we got 2 Billion going to Alberta right now. That could be going to America's farmers.

    CSM

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by EagerBeaver View Post
    I agree. Decreased demand usually leads to a decrease in price, not an increase, if supply remains constant. This is the 1st thing you learn in any introductory college economics course. Supply can usually be expected to remain constant in this industry.
    Another thing we learn is when the cost of production exceeds the market price, the supply ceases to remain constant. The "capacity" is diverted to other products. I.E. if the girls can't make enough to make it more attractive than say "Subway", then they go to work at Subway. Perhaps this is the reason for the increased production from the amateur & professional porn industry in Montreal.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by StefanoUS View Post
    KF, $300 - $325 is also the going "in call" rate for MTL SP's in the states (NY / Boston).
    So the relative cost for overcoming LE remains consistant at about $150 to $200.

  15. #15
    It's about time... we're right in the middle of a big f*kin' 'world change' and you guys just realize this ?

    In one corner you got a beard freak with a doughnut on his head suposedly hiding ever since in Pakistan and the best you guys came up with since is a moron who just went right into his trap to make his little daddy proud.

    Result : less f*cking for everyone !

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •