Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 62

Thread: Give me a number - What percentage of the female population have been SPs/MPs

  1. #1

    Give me a number - What percentage of the female population have been SPs/MPs

    Taking into account ladies 95 years old to girls 18 years old, what percentage of the population in your opinion have or now is participated in the biz? I suspect the percentage has risen dramatically in the last 10 years, but there must be a few 95 year old ex-SPs around.
    I woulf put the estimate at 2% or 1 in 50.

  2. #2
    It's a whole new ballgame
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Where I belong.
    Posts
    6,327
    I was discussing this with a friend just a couple of weeks ago. Here's the math:
    There are about 1,600,000 people in Montreal, 800,000 of them female.
    Of these 800,000, approximately 100,000 of them are between the ages of 20-30.

    If the mean career expectancy of a sexworker is six months (and remember some work just a few days, some work for years) and there are 2,500 sex workers in Montreal at any given time, that means that 50,000 girls work in the sex industry over a 10 year period. If half of them are not from Montreal originally, that reduces the number to 25,000.

    If my math is correct, and all of my numbers in the first paragraph are approximate, while those in the second are guesses, the answer to your question would be 25%.

    Going just a bit farther now, if you assume that 75% of the female population is not attractive enough to work in the sex industry, what you're left with is 100% of all attractive females in Montreal are, at one time or another, sex workers.

    Note that there is the remote possibility that some of my numbers or logic might be off, however slightly.
    The mounties always get their man.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by rumpleforeskiin View Post
    .....and there are 2,500 sex workers in Montreal at any given time, ......
    Very interesting analysis, rumple. 100% seems so shockingly high! Do you honestly believe that? If your math is correct, it will certainly make us look at women in Montreal in a different way

    Btw, how did you get 2500? There aren't even 100 sps with the agencies on the board.

  4. #4
    Fun n games til some1...
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,159
    In MTL, 5% current + past workers. 5 in 100 woman have or current participate in the industry. So many ladies apparently try it for just a few days and realize they can't handle the psychological aspect of the job.

  5. #5
    What percentage of the female population have been SPs/MPs
    It varies by time and place. It also varies in accordance to your definition of prostitution.

    I think Uranus' and EvilT's estimates are a lot closer to reality than Rumple's. If I had to throw-out a number, I'd say it's probably around 3% in the Montreal area. Travel to Bankok, Rio, or Kiev, and the number would probably be higher. Out on the prarie in bible thumper land, the number would probably be lower. Hop in a time machine and travel back to the wildwest in the late 1800s, and you'd definitely see numbers as high as Rumple's estimate.

    Change your definition of prostitute to include anyone who fucks someone for popularity or to secure a meal ticket, and the numbers would likely soar through the roof.

  6. #6
    It's a whole new ballgame
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Where I belong.
    Posts
    6,327
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud Fox View Post
    Very interesting analysis, rumple. 100% seems so shockingly high! Do you honestly believe that? If your math is correct, it will certainly make us look at women in Montreal in a different way

    Btw, how did you get 2500? There aren't even 100 sps with the agencies on the board.
    First off, there are well over 100 SPs with the agencies that advertise here. I'd guess closer to 150. Then you have to add in all those with agencies that don't advertise on the board; take a look at the back of the Mirror or the Journal. Then add in the indies on Annonce 123. Now add in all the MPs, both those that advertise here and those that don't. Now add in all the strippers in all the clubs in town. I'd bet the number 2,500 is pretty conservative.

    Quote Originally Posted by evillethings View Post
    In MTL, 5% current + past workers. 5 in 100 woman have or current participate in the industry. So many ladies apparently try it for just a few days and realize they can't handle the psychological aspect of the job.
    And how did you come up with your number? A wild guess, I'd suppose. You're probably closer to accurate than is my 100%, but I'd bet that if you split my original 25% and your 5%, 15% would be pretty close to accurate.

    Quote Originally Posted by Aeolus View Post
    Hop in a time machine and travel back to the wildwest in the late 1800s, and you'd definitely see numbers as high as Rumple's estimate.
    If not higher.
    Last edited by rumpleforeskiin; 03-24-2011 at 01:27 PM.
    The mounties always get their man.

  7. #7
    I would say over a lifetime, including the ones that work once and give it up to the 10-15-20 year career girls at least one in 10 or one in 15.

  8. #8

    Montreal

    Quote Originally Posted by rumpleforeskiin View Post
    I was discussing this with a friend just a couple of weeks ago. Here's the math:
    There are about 1,600,000 people in Montreal, 800,000 of them female.
    Of these 800,000, approximately 100,000 of them are between the ages of 20-30.

    If the mean career expectancy of a sexworker is six months (and remember some work just a few days, some work for years) and there are 2,500 sex workers in Montreal at any given time, that means that 50,000 girls work in the sex industry over a 10 year period. If half of them are not from Montreal originally, that reduces the number to 25,000.

    If my math is correct, and all of my numbers in the first paragraph are approximate, while those in the second are guesses, the answer to your question would be 25%.

    Going just a bit farther now, if you assume that 75% of the female population is not attractive enough to work in the sex industry, what you're left with is 100% of all attractive females in Montreal are, at one time or another, sex workers.

    Note that there is the remote possibility that some of my numbers or logic might be off, however slightly.
    Do not see how you propose to distinguish between Montreal proper and the Greater Montreal area with a population of over 3.8 million.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_Montreal

    So your numbers are significantly off.
    LISA'S FRIEND

  9. #9
    It's a whole new ballgame
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Where I belong.
    Posts
    6,327
    Quote Originally Posted by eastender View Post
    Do not see how you propose to distinguish between Montreal proper and the Greater Montreal area with a population of over 3.8 million.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_Montreal

    So your numbers are significantly off.
    Did you read my initial post? "If half of them are not from Montreal originally, that reduces the number to 25,000."
    The mounties always get their man.

  10. #10
    Fun n games til some1...
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,159
    Quote Originally Posted by rumpleforeskiin View Post
    ...And how did you come up with your number? A wild guess, I'd suppose. You're probably closer to accurate than is my 100%, but I'd bet that if you split my original 25% and your 5%, 15% would be pretty close to accurate...
    Guestimate... half outta my ass and half outta my head... same thing in the end really.

    When we consider present + past sex workers, look at the number of clubs, parlors, agencies, etc. especially in MTL... MTL probably has a higher % than most other cities.

    Quote Originally Posted by rumpleforeskiin View Post
    ...Going just a bit farther now, if you assume that 75% of the female population is not attractive enough to work in the sex industry, what you're left with is 100% of all attractive females in Montreal are, at one time or another, sex workers...
    I'm going to a plant myself on an outdoor patio when the weather warms up and count how many women are attractive. I know we all do that anyway but I never bother counting.

  11. #11

    Sadly

    Quote Originally Posted by rumpleforeskiin View Post
    Did you read my initial post? "If half of them are not from Montreal originally, that reduces the number to 25,000."
    Sadly I read your initial post and that is time wasted that I will never get back.

    There are a number of flaws in your assumptions mainly the need to differentiate and the ability to do so between any group of workers by dividing them into Montreal and GMA or in any other fashion.

    Given the transient nature of sex work there is no point to this distinction. Unless you can justify a 1 for 1 trade off between the two areas and you cannot since agencies - dancers, etc export more workers into the various regions and outside the province than are imported.into Montreal.

    The second major flaw is the assumption that the populations - Montreal and GMA are similar in age. They are not. Simply look at the school age population and the % of capacity in Montreal schools vs the GMA area schools. The under thirty population is disproportionately located in the GMA as opposed to Montreal - youth sports, education, housing, all support this position.
    LISA'S FRIEND

  12. #12
    It's a whole new ballgame
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Where I belong.
    Posts
    6,327
    Quote Originally Posted by eastender View Post
    There are a number of flaws in your assumptions mainly the need to differentiate and the ability to do so between any group of workers by dividing them into Montreal and GMA or in any other fashion.
    Ignoring your inability (or unwillingness) to punctuate correctly, I think I can sort of make sense of this run on sentence, except that even when I insert the proper punctuation, well, huh? Are you trying to say something? If so, I'm afraid you've failed utterly.

    Quote Originally Posted by eastender View Post
    Given the transient nature of sex work there is no point to this distinction.
    What distinction are you talking about? Did I mention any distinction?

    Quote Originally Posted by eastender View Post
    The second major flaw is the assumption that the populations - Montreal and GMA are similar in age. They are not. Simply look at the school age population and the % of capacity in Montreal schools vs the GMA area schools. The under thirty population is disproportionately located in the GMA as opposed to Montreal - youth sports, education, housing, all support this position.
    You have this bass-ackwards, my friend. If by school-age, you mean 12 year olds, you are absolutely correct. However, in the 19-25 age group way, way over half of those in the GMA live right on this island either having come here to work or to go to school.
    Last edited by rumpleforeskiin; 03-24-2011 at 07:22 PM.
    The mounties always get their man.

  13. #13

    I See...............

    Rumples,

    Now I see CSMartin's point. You are simply throwing out nonsense data and insults hoping to bully others into agreement.

    You dance all over the place with numbers first its 20-30 year olds then 19-25 year olds.Whatever has the slightest hope of making your point you will use.

    Now we have the Rumples famous "way over". Another way of saying that you do not have a prayer of producing the actual numbers but will try to bluff your way along.
    LISA'S FRIEND

  14. #14
    It's a whole new ballgame
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Where I belong.
    Posts
    6,327
    Quote Originally Posted by eastender View Post
    Now I see CSMartin's point. You are simply throwing out nonsense data and insults hoping to bully others into agreement.

    You dance all over the place with numbers first its 20-30 year olds then 19-25 year olds.Whatever has the slightest hope of making your point you will use.

    Now we have the Rumples famous "way over". Another way of saying that you do not have a prayer of producing the actual numbers but will try to bluff your way along.
    Ah, how little you know. Actually, the figure isn't quite 50%, but 48.34%. Unfortunately, I am unable to reveal my sources as great harm would come to several people if word got out that someone was disseminating for free the results of studies into which a considerable amount of federal research money was spent. I would love to be able to tell you how I came up with these facts regarding women between the ages of 23-34, but I'm afraid I'm not at liberty and would feel terrible if blood were spilled on my account. I trust you'll understand.
    The mounties always get their man.

  15. #15

    i think that is 10 to 15%

    my guess i am no statistician i prefer to sample sps

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •