Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • I think it's a good idea as is

7 87.50%
  • Good idea but needs work - comments posted below

1 12.50%
  • I do not like the idea at all

0 0%

Thread: New rules proposition for the Sports Discussion Forum...

Exclamation New rules proposition for the Sports Discussion Forum...

Hello sports-fans,

Well I have tried just about every tactic to get some order and decent behavior into the sports threads and it seems everything I do works for a week or two and then everyone forgets and goes back to their same old habits. I do not like to ban a member from the board for sports infractions. This is not good for the community as a whole as it removes any chance of this member making a contribution to the primary function of MERB. I could simply close down the sports section but that is the last option I wish to choose. So I have come up with something completely different to avoid that option and we will see how it goes.

This is how it will work:

I will issue a 'suspension' of a member's right to post in the sports forum of the board. As the board software does not give me the option to actually prevent someone from posting in a particular section of the board, I will create a separate Sticky of suspended members in the sports forum. When someone is suspended, they will be listed in this thread along with the date they will be permitted to post again. This information, including the start and end date, will also be added to the suspended member's signature for the period of the suspension. The member will also be sent a PM notifying him of the infraction and the suspension. If this suspended member does make a post in the sports forum, the initial suspension will be doubled and put into effect as a normal suspension from MERB. This will have the desired effect of suspending a member while not punishing the community by removing his ability to contribute to the board.

As for enforcement of the suspension, I am quite sure that if a suspended member does happen to post while suspended that someone will let me know rather quickly by PM if I happen to miss it.

As this will entail some extra work on my part, I am hoping that everyone will do their best not to earn a suspension.

As I noted above, this is just an idea at the moment and I am posting this now to ask for any input or ideas from the members who post in this section before I go ahead and implement this idea. If the majority of members here agree, I will put it into effect starting this Friday, January 6th.

I have included a poll for everyone to vote and you can also post your thoughts in this thread.

M8
    Last edited by Mod 8; 01-02-2012 at 06:21 PM.

Fun n games til some1...
    M8/Shanny ... sounds good, but also sounds like more admin for you! just make the suspensions long so u don't have to do too much admin with dates and policing ppl. anyway, are the ppl who're getting sports related suspensions adding reviews regularly?!

as for penalties, forget the 3 strike system. just go with
    strike 1, 1 mth ban
    strike 2, out-for-the-season

that's reduce ur admin work RE suspensions.
    i'll fwd my consulting invoice at the end of the mth.

I forgot to include that I would PM the suspended member so that he would be made aware of the situation. I have made the correction in my original post.

As mentioned in my original post, I will add the suspension to the member's signature so that all members will see that this member is suspended from the Sports Discussion forum.
    Last edited by Mod 8; 01-02-2012 at 06:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mod 8 View Post
    As for enforcement of the suspension, I am quite sure that if a suspended member does happen to post while suspended that someone will let me know rather quickly by PM if I happen to miss it.
    M8
    I'm sure there'll be no shortage of Merb rat's to assist you with this!!

Overall though, I think it's a great idea!
    Jules Winnfield (Samuel L. Jackson in Pulp Fiction) English, motherfu*ker, do you speak it?

Typical Yankee fan in the Merb Sports Section!! Bwwaahh.

Fun n games til some1...
    my thoughts exactly. we'll said! baiting needs to be curbed.
    everyone needs to show some restrain.
    reading thru certain posts in the sports section, you just know things are primed to break down fast
    look at the 2010 baseball thread...
    of course, it's not the only sport to see punches being thrown betw merbites
    there's definitely some stuff going on in hockey.

u never have to look far.

do we want the sports section to stay, sure we do. sports + sex go hand n hand.
    u'd think they were one in the same
    might not be a bad idea to have a pro sex league.
    but now i'm getting off track

for now M8's proposed change seems like it'll help
    u will know if it's working within the 1st 2 wks.
    could be the push the sports section needed to survive M8's wrath.
    knowing there's a new suspension system in place will help curb the overly enthused.

Sorry, I am a little late to this party...civility in the sports threads...Bravo!
    Enjoy life my friends....

Little late??? lol........ welcome back bro-skie! (been playing with "Flowers" again?) .... (btw, i dont blame you if you were!)

Quote Originally Posted by Jman47 View Post
    Sorry, I am a little late to this party...civility in the sports threads...Bravo!