Thread: Sinking Ship - What Would You Do?

Sinking Ship - What Would You Do?

Women and children first are supposed to get priority to lifeboats on a sinking ship.

So, some heart patient male that is 80 years old is criticized for waiting in the semblance of a line and having the audacity of taking his seat when it comes open on a lifeboat, because there is a 30 year old female that doesn't have a seat.

Is he wrong to take his seat?

Quote Originally Posted by Turbodick View Post
    Women and children first are supposed to get priority to lifeboats on a sinking ship.

So, some heart patient male that is 80 years old is criticized for waiting in the semblance of a line and having the audacity of taking his seat when it comes open on a lifeboat, because there is a 30 year old female that doesn't have a seat.

Is he wrong to take his seat?
    Morally: not at all.
    The whole women and children first concept is more about math than morals (the children have more years left and the women are needed to produce more children - one man can impregnate a LOT of women, as Screamin' Jay Hawkins proved over and over again!)

Mathematically: Very possibly because if he dies there are very few years left anyway but if she dies it's probably about 55 years lost - based on estimated life expectancies.

the last of the mohicans
    if i was in that particular sinking ship, i would have jumped and swam to shore..it was right there.
    in any other case i would take out my iphone..and ask simon paul what he thinks i should ask the staff on the ship to do.(he always has the good questions)
    "Scars remind us where we've been. They don't have to dictate where we're going"

Ricky,instead of thinking at me ,next try to give us good response.

the last of the mohicans
    my bad simon...i couldnt help myself, no malice intended.
    i agree with joelcairo, morally right..mathematically wrong.
    of course common courtesy says to let your elders go first...but that is in daily life situations where politeness counts, not in a paniked situation.
    "Scars remind us where we've been. They don't have to dictate where we're going"

Women and children. Arn't they two of the same .

I fear death too much. I will be willing to kill anyone, up to and including the president to save it. You don't want to know what I would do to keep alive. I'll deal with the guilt later.

The president line is an adaptation from the TV show undergrads where Rocco tells what he is willing to do to join Alpha Alpha.

Well, in any event reports say the situation in Italy saw a lot of people clawing their way to the front, so someone 80 y/o with a heart condition wouldn't get to the lifeboat too quickly or be able to give up a seat.

I'm sure there were some real acts of selflessness too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky bonds View Post
    if i was in that particular sinking ship, i would have jumped and swam to shore..it was right there.
    Ricky, some people tried and died because the water was too cold and they had a cardiac arrest ...

I think I'd get the women and children in the lifeboats, then put my head between my legs and kiss my ass goodbye.
    Sweetwater
    "I have the right to remain silent, but I don't have the ability": Ron White
    "Oh, it's all right. I'm sure that we can handle this situation maturely, just like the responsible adults that we are. Isn't that right, Mr... Poopy Pants?": Leslie Nielsen as Lt. Frank Drebin in "The Naked Gun 2 1/2: The Smell of Fear" (1991)
    Pussycat Song- The Asylum Street Spankers
    Scrotum Song- The Asylum Street Spankers

This reminds me of a joke:
    Its the story of a British gentleman, an american and a frenchmen during a shipwreck.

The brit says: "children and women first"
    The american replies: "fuck the women!"
    And the frenchmen ask hopefuly: "do we have time you think?"

(you can also substitute the names of your favorite merb members for extra fun)
    “Truth, Justice, Freedom, Reasonably Priced Love.”

Retired veteran hobbyist
    I was curious what this thread was about, thinking at first that it was about the Montreal Canadiens......

the last of the mohicans
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    I was curious what this thread was about, thinking at first that it was about the Montreal Canadiens......
    omfg..that was a puck to the side of the head! i was not expecting that comment, and i just spit out a cube of filet mignon..laughing.!
    my sentiments exactly

Fun n games til some1...
    ...funny thing is, i thought this was a headline in the Leafs Nation thread!

Quote Originally Posted by wasisname View Post
    ... I fear death too much. I will be willing to kill anyone, up to and including the president to save it. You don't want to know what I would do to keep alive. I'll deal with the guilt later...
    funny + scary!

if there's one thing i learned from watching the film titanic, there's plenty of good usable floating dead ppl you can group together to make an environmentally sound life raft.

Quote Originally Posted by evillethings View Post
    if there's one thing i learned from watching the film titanic, there's plenty of good usable floating dead ppl you can group together to make an environmentally sound life raft.
    I was completely wrong. Joe T. could conceivably some day be useful.

the whole women and children fisrt. Fascinating on the BBC site:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16576289

To summarise, sounds like this originate din the mid 1800's... on a military ship that had about 30 women and children. The commander ordered his soldiers to let the women/ kids escape first... and most of the men died!
    It's a chivalrous thing. Chivalry is moribund.

I would have swam the couple of hundred meters... but again, this happened at nite, so maybe people had no clue how close they really were to the coast.