Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FIREFOX web browser - use it!!

Thumbs down FIREFOX web browser - use it!!

Hello,

I have discovered a new web browser, FIREFOX. Because we are open minded people, we tend to surf websites where spyware and pop ups rule. Adult websites are great for this. Therefore, I have recently discovered FIREFOX. They claim the following:

"Popup Blocking: Stop annoying popup ads in their tracks with Firefox's built in popup blocker.

Tabbed Browsing: View more than one web page in a single window with this time saving feature. Open links in the background so that they're ready for viewing when you're ready to read them. Find out more...

Privacy and Security: Built with your security in mind, Firefox keeps your computer safe from malicious spyware by not loading harmful ActiveX controls. A comprehensive set of privacy tools keep your online activity your business.

Smarter Search: Google Search is built right into the toolbar, and there is a plethora of other search tools including Smart Keywords (type "dict <word>" in the Location bar), and the new Find bar (which finds text as you type without covering up anything)."

I have tried the browser and surfed sites where I know that there are multiple popups that are built into the pages. Well, this browser is excellent to prevent popups. Previously on my IE, I had the google tool bar with the pop up blocker and there were still popups opening. Not with this browser.

Try this browser, and give us feedback. To download, click here:

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

BTW, I am not affiliated with FIREFOX in any way. The goal of this is to help out fellow hobbyists.

Lone Rider

I use that along with IE. I use Firefox for all non related work so that I can delete the history.

Total Archbushman
    Not only is it awesome in that it does not use as much system resources as IE but it is also free!!!
    Hey! What kind of party is this? There's no booze and only one hooker.
    Futurama

Total Archbushman
    Actually Dee, you CAN add the bookmark to any folder you like. Hit BOOKMARK, it says CREATE IN. Just select the folder...
    Hey! What kind of party is this? There's no booze and only one hooker.
    Futurama

CoolAmadeus
    Those Linux freaks out there will remember the use of the / key in the "vi" editor... Firefox also uses / to start a search.

Another very useful feature (or combination thereof): You can set it to keep NO history, NO cookie, NO cached files of anything you surf... For those privacy obsessed people (like me ).

Oh, and one last thing: Firefox can be customized via ad-ons. I am personally using "adblock", and I get rid of all the banners and unwanted pictures everywhere. Try to explain a boss or co-worker that the nude woman he just saw in a flash on your screen at work was part of a "work project". Yeah right!

CA

CoolAmadeus
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Cock Sportif
    correction... had to hit the escape hey a couple of times to wake it up before the / lol
    Are you running a REAL operating system? It doesn't do it on my Linux. LOL

Question Firefox Question?

I've been using firefox for a little while now and there's a couple of problems I'm encountering.

For example if I go to the website for Montrealxxxtase http://www.montrealxxxtase.com The page will not load but instead shows a picture of a puzzle piece and says "click here to download plugin"

After doing so I get the message, "Available plugin downloads Macromedia Flashplayer 7" press Next to install.

After pressing Next I get the message that Firefox is installing plugins, but nothing ever happens, it doesn't install, just the empty bar that's supposed to fill up as the player is being installed.

Any computer guys/ gals have a suggestion of what to do?

Thanks,

SK
    Jules Winnfield (Samuel L. Jackson in Pulp Fiction) English, motherfu*ker, do you speak it?

Typical Yankee fan in the Merb Sports Section!! Bwwaahh.

Merci Dee

Thanks much Dee, that seems to have corrected the problem. I agree with you regarding the xxxtase website but I was just using that as an example. I was having trouble with numerous sites. Not anymore though!

LCS...Not sure if I should thank you as well...Lol. I wasn't able to translate your jargon but hey..thanks anyway!

SK
    Jules Winnfield (Samuel L. Jackson in Pulp Fiction) English, motherfu*ker, do you speak it?

Typical Yankee fan in the Merb Sports Section!! Bwwaahh.

Just installed Firefox and am wowed! Compared to IE6, it boots faster and loads pages faster. And the neatest thing for hobbyists, like CA pointed out above, is that you can configure it to keep no history of visited pages, and select which cookies you accept on a case by case basis.

Another Firefox question

Does it also clean/ erase that ever popular index.dat file??????????

Quote Originally Posted by LongJohn4510
    I'm technologically challenged here . Anyone care to fill in?

Index.dat is not relataed with Firefox. In Firefox, cookies, site history and all that stuffs in located within your profile directory. And as joeblow said you can configure it to have history of visited pages kept.

Better check your files...are all cookies erased...wondering...!!!
    Go to your hard disk and check!

No sure..you may have to do it manually!
    FF is only a browser after all!!!!

Slow to load question

Was wondering why it sometimes takes almost a full 2 minutes when I click on my Firefoxicon for the browser to actually open? This is usually the case when I first power up the computer and everything has already loaded, although even when the machines been running for awhile it still sometimes takes at least a minute for the browser to open.

Would additional memory help with this problem?

Any info would be appreciated.

SK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast