Thread: Regarding the Quote situation

Exclamation Regarding the Quote situation

Hello everyone,

There has been more than a bit of discussion and arguing regarding MERB policy in regards to quoting posts. This argument has gotten to the point of being ridiculous and it is time to clear the air.

First of all, this is how the posting guideline reads: https://merb.cc/vbulletin/announcement.php?f=5

ix) When quoting a very long post in any thread, please do your best to edit it down to a manageable length. Many times, quotes take up more space than the actual reply. Not only does this create board clutter, but you will lose the interest of the reader before he even gets to your reply. When quoting a post directly above your reply, it is sufficient to include only the first line or two as to indicate exactly who you are replying to. This is useful in cases when another post is made while you are composing your own and places your own post out of sequence.
    I see nothing in that guideline that needs to be changed. This is probably the same as on every other board on the Internet and may even come with the vBulletin software for all I know. It is certainly not unique to MERB.

The problem is that for the longest time, many people have not been following it. We were seeing members quoting extremely long posts to address one point out of many that were made. Often a long post being quoted was directly or one or two posts previous to it. It reached a point where some threads were becoming cluttered to the point of being unreadable at times. As a result, we began editing posts to remove these long quotes, including a polite note as to the reason for the edit. As none of this seemed to work, it appeared to us that people either were not reading the quotes at all and so not noticing the comments regarding the edits, or simply ignoring us.

Seeing as how this had no effect and people continued to quote away, we edited more posts and left less polite notes. Still to no effect. Finally with our patience at an end, a clampdown on quotes was instituted to get members` attention. Well we certainly got your attention but instead of a discussion we ended up with a war and that was not the intention.

So now we find ourselves at the point we are at with tempers becoming short on all sides and comments by members being made in threads when there was already a thread to deal with this topic. It is time for this to stop.

Yes, the mods spend a lot of time on the board. None of us have been forced to become moderators, we do it by choice. We do not ask or expect the members to thank us or even to think about it at all. All we ask in return is a bit of cooperation in keeping MERB running smoothly and for members to actually pay attention when we post warnings and to follow the rules and guidelines. That is all, nothing more.

We are always willing to discuss things, we always have been and that has been proven on many occasions. But I will tell you something: insulting and challenging moderators will not help your case. Even our patience has limits. We respond well to intelligent and respectful discussion, not so well to insults and disrespect. Lately I believe that we have been more than tolerant considering some of the comments that have been posted but if the attitude of some members continues, that tolerance will come to a sudden and abrupt halt. We expect all members to be respectful to each other, we expect them to be respectful to the moderators as well.

The policy regarding quotes will remain as posted above as long as members respect that policy as written. Ignore it and I am certain we will be having this discussion again in the future.

I would also ask all members to refresh themselves on MERB rules and posting guidelines as many seem to need it and many have probably never bothered to read them at all. Here is the link again in case anyone missed it above.

https://merb.cc/vbulletin/announcement.php?f=5

Thank you for reading this if you managed to get to the end without falling asleep.

Mod 8

I'm 100% in agreement with Mod 8. The post above was discussed before it was made public and reflect Mods 8-11-12's opinion. Mod 9 couldn't be reached for comments.

It boils down to using common sense when quoting.

My reaction was a pendulum effect of members quoting basically just because the "reply with quote" button is the easiest to see and click.

Before using "reply with quote", we simply ask members to think if it's really necessary and if so, to see if they can "trim" the quote to the valuable points only. That's what the rules paragraph copied above talks about.

Most times, simply mentioning the name of the person you direct your reply to, at the start of your reply, will do the trick nice and clean, without the need for quoting, without screen clutter, without members having to scroll trough stuff they already just read before. If you are afraid to make a mistake on the name, you can do as I do: "reply with quote" then remove everything, including the quotation markers, and leave only the name.

Thanks

Sounds good M8/M11, thanks for taking the time to address the issue and to all the other Mods as well. I think a lot of the problems are force of habit to do things as they have been done for years and more out of "forgetting" about the new way of posting pertaining to quotes, at least among the veterans. If everyone makes an effort to cooperate with what your asking for it should make reading the threads more enjoyable, that I agree, but expect the occasional slip up from some of the vets here.

Thanks again for taking the time to explain your concerns and to continue to make sure MERB is the best and most popular hobby site for Montreal. You guys really do a thankless job, but there HAS to be some perks??? Not even a Mod Christmas Party paid for by Fred with some SP's, with an all you can...."Eat" (among other things) policy?

Well said Iggy. I even thought about quoting M8, M11, and Iggy, but decided against it.
    I can't imagine (or don't want to imagine) what would transpire at a Mod Christmas Party. Can't you see M11 suspending M8 for spilling some punch on M12? Or M9 suspending Fred for being Fred? I wonder if Fred would even foot the bill. Maybe they already do have Christmas Parties, and talk about all of us.
    Oops. I'm getting off topic in the Quote Situation Thread. It is annoying when the entire post is quoted. Thanks, Mods.
    Sweetwater
    "I have the right to remain silent, but I don't have the ability": Ron White
    "Oh, it's all right. I'm sure that we can handle this situation maturely, just like the responsible adults that we are. Isn't that right, Mr... Poopy Pants?": Leslie Nielsen as Lt. Frank Drebin in "The Naked Gun 2 1/2: The Smell of Fear" (1991)
    Pussycat Song- The Asylum Street Spankers
    Scrotum Song- The Asylum Street Spankers

I think Mod 8 and 11 stated it well above and also in prior threads. Look guys, we are not out to micro-moderate or slap you all with a bunch of rules just because we can. The goal of all the moderators is to work along side all of MERB's members to make this board the best one of it's kind. We all have fun reading and participating on it and would just like to make it the best experience possible.

Part of that is to make it as reader friendly as possible, as organized as possible and also to create an environment with as much mutual respect as possible. The closer we all can come to this the much better off we all are. So, it would be much appreciated if the membership keep in mind posting rules, which is linked in Mod 8's original thread above.

We are not running a boot camp, nobody will will ask you to drop down and give us 20 if a mistake is made. We just ask for some thought and common sense when posting to make the threads user friendly for the rest of the community.

Thank you and much appreciated.
    Last edited by Mod 12; 03-21-2012 at 07:09 AM.

Mod 12 is right, drop down and give me 10, that'll do.

Sweet, banning a moderator, it's not because we didn't try... Besides Mod 12, who didn't have time to try yet, I'm pretty certain all moderators tried it once.

Damn vBulletin won't allow banning somebody at the same level you are. When we feel like banning a fellow moderator, we just ban a few regular members instead. If the urge is very strong, we ban an advertiser.

But what if I only have 5 or 6? Oh, you mean like in the military? Now I get it.
    So now we know exactly what has happened when all of a sudden 3 or 4 get suspended.
    Sweetwater
    "Oh, it's all right. I'm sure that we can handle this situation maturely, just like the responsible adults that we are. Isn't that right, Mr... Poopy Pants?": Leslie Nielsen as Lt. Frank Drebin in "The Naked Gun 2 1/2: The Smell of Fear" (1991)

Smithers, I am feeling depressed. Let's fire some people!
    “Truth, Justice, Freedom, Reasonably Priced Love.”

Banned
    And unnecessary comments is just as bad as over quoting!!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod 8 View Post
    Hello everyone,

So now we find ourselves at the point we are at with tempers becoming short on all sides and comments by members being made in threads when there was already a thread to deal with this topic. It is time for this to stop.

Mod 8
    Leadership,

It would help if the most senior members would face a mistake rather than producing a mega-hissy fit blaming a mod for enforcing a rule already given a lot of notice.

Quote Originally Posted by lgna69xxx View Post
    If everyone makes an effort to cooperate with what your asking for it should make reading the threads more enjoyable, that I agree, but expect the occasional slip up from some of the vets here.
    Perfectly rational. It takes time to break old habits. If so, then how about...ooops, I forgot. Not...go screw yourself...or the like.

The Mods do a mostly thankless job for nothing. Some patience and understanding should be given, especially when it's us, not the Mod, at fault.

really,

Merlot

b_cup, let's call this "steam blowing...", in this thread only...

Sioncnarf, that's the way!
    Last edited by Mod 11; 03-23-2012 at 11:49 PM.

Am I the only one who reads the thread title and thinks about the Bonnie situation from the movie Pulp Fiction.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gg_mylstAo

For the record, I do not ever recall any notice on Merb saying dead nigger storage. I guess storing dead niggers isn't their fucking business. The coffee however is some serious gourmet shit, but I guess they know that because they are the ones who buy it.

Ah Pulp Fiction, it eases the pain.

I do feel that Sioncnarf's Smither's joke was both funny and related. Tis a sad day indeed when one can't have a modest amount of semi related comic relief.

Sorry, wasisname, The pulpfiction reference went completely over my head in it's relation to this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by b_cup_lover View Post
    And unnecessary comments...
    True. But they can be kinda funny sometimes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Siocnarf View Post
    .... Let's fire some people!
    As Austin Powers would say, "Yeah! Baby!"
    Sweetwater

As he's gone unrecognized here...thanks to Doc Holiday for escalating this issue (right or wrong) which in turn raised the bar of moderation. Don't think many would have been able to do so in such a way.