Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Most famous ever Quebecer worldwide?

Most famous ever Quebecer worldwide?

Who would you say it is?

I would have to say Celine Dion.

Lily from Montreal
    George St-Pierre is a huge star world wide...Especially in Asia , but yes I would say Celine a bit more...there is no way to avoid her, a bit like a plague or a virus, she is everywhere...

William Shatner. by a landslide!!
    $422 million for culture & science, or over $600 BILLION for Death and destruction...? I vote for CULTURE!!!

Lily from Montreal
    Are you kidding? Nope...he is a icon but from the past...Anyway me I am ''Picard'' loll

Adorable libertine
    A nice mention to Cirque du Soleil owner, Guy Laliberté who become the first quebecois clown to go really in the sky...

Quote Originally Posted by LilyForYou View Post
    Are you kidding? Nope...he is a icon but from the past...Anyway me I am ''Picard'' loll
    Ma chere Lilly, the question is who is the most famous Quebecer: I argue that William Shatner has had MORE fans internationally that have watched his shows, have bought his merchandise, have gone to his movies, have attended his convention appearances and seminars, has had more documentaries,books & articles devoted to him than any other Quebecer (and especially over Sir Patrick!) in the last 45 years!!

An icon from the past? No way, the guy can still fill up an audience... Last fall he came to Montreal for the Comiccon, and they had to refuse a lot of people at the door...Because he was the headliner, the Comiccon had a record number of attendees...
    $422 million for culture & science, or over $600 BILLION for Death and destruction...? I vote for CULTURE!!!

Norman Bethune....known by millions in China
    BTW I agree that its a close race between Shatner and Dion for first place.
    I met George St-Pierre in a sushi bar in T.O., nice guy but is less well known word wide than Leonard Cohen.

Veteran of Misadventures
    Quote Originally Posted by shijak View Post
    William Shatner. by a landslide!!
    Definitely. If you take Star Trek, Boston Legal and the Priceline commercials the man is a legend for 5 decades now. That is not even to mention the most well known Twilight Zone Episode, Terror at 37,000 feet. Celine Dion is a singer who has had a small window of popularity that is like 15 minutes of fame compared to what Shatner has done over a very long career. If I am not mistaken McGill named some room or building after Shatner.

I believe rue St. Catherine should be renamed Shatner Boulevard in his honor.

Alyssa, to say that internationally Celine Dion is the most famous Quebecer is like saying that Twiggy is the most famous Britisher...well she was back in the late-sixties, wasn't she?
    Same thing for Celine, she got world-famous because of the Titanic movie back in 1997, but has never even come close since then to repeating with anything resembling a pop hit. Give it another 10 years and she'll be remembered about as much as Huey lewis...

I guess my criteria for famous has more to do with durability...

Born again punter
    Quote Originally Posted by Maria Divina View Post
    A nice mention to Cirque du Soleil owner, Guy Laliberté who become the first quebecois clown to go really in the sky...
    Sans compter le million de fois qu'il s'est envoyé en l'air... (it would be futile to attempt to translate this one)
    Une vie sans folie, c'est une vie sans goût / Life without craziness, is life without taste

Lily from Montreal
    If the criteria is durability I suggest Jesus Christ...been around forever...numerous movie about him...books...name it....
    Wait you are right all those apply to Shatner...loll
    Oups forgot the Quebecer criteria, ok Shatner it is loll
    Last edited by Lily from Montreal; 11-14-2012 at 01:04 PM.

Shatner is well known, but I would suspect only in North America.

GSP is huge, and I am a huge fan of his, but he is only known in the MMA world, which is growing all of the time.

Celine is a mega power diva, like it or not, and she is very well known worldwide. She is in the same league as the Whitney Houstons, Adeles, or Mariah Careys of the world, and there really is not much more than about a dozen female singers who fall into that category.
    I am not necessarily a fan of her music, but I am proud of her, as all Quebecers really should be.

Guy Laliberte is certainly mega-wealthy, and Cirque du Soleil is known world-wide, but I don't think the majority of people would know who he is.

Should anyone be considered who is not present-day, like maybe someone like Pierre Trudeau, or someone else that I am not thinking of? Arturo Gatti or one of the Hilton fighters? Rocket Richard? Mario Lemeux? Gilles Villeneuve?

How about Mom Boucher? Mordecai Richler?

It's a whole new ballgame
    To these eyes, it would have to be Genevieve Bujold.
    The mounties always get their man.

Veteran of Misadventures
    There seems to be prejudice against Shatner because he is an Anglophone and Jewish. You ask some French people in Quebec if they know who he is and you may get a "huh?" What does that prove? But ask anyone in the USA or the rest of the world and they will know who Shatner is. Shatner is single handledly responsible for the ascension of Priceline from a small company nobody heard of to an international behemoth of travel websites. What has Celine done to grow any company? Nothing. Zero. People know her in Montreal and Vegas. Elsewhere she is a nonentity.

The truth is Shatner can buy Celine out of everything she owns if he wanted to, and have plenty of change leftover to buy up half of Montreal. He owns 15% of the stock of Priceline and that is on top of all his earnings as actor and pitchman for over 50 years now. Celine is small-time compared to Captain Kirk.
    Last edited by EagerBeaver; 11-14-2012 at 02:27 PM.

Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast