Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Montreal has it's first Anglo Mayor in over 100 years!

Montreal has it's first Anglo Mayor in over 100 years!

Michael Applebaum has been elected the interim Mayor of Montreal. He is the first Anglo Mayor in over 100 years and the first Jewish Mayor in history. He made his entire acceptance speech in French.

Congratulations!

PS: I edited my post so people can stop all their whining and crying.
    And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Techman, I have a feeling you're bitching indirectly. I have no problem with him as an anglo being mayor, and I've heard him speak french in the past without problem, so what's your point? You're assuming that french people is gonna bitch? Do you put us in all the same category? You're often at the center of this polemic here on merb, I suggest you chill a little bit, because you're attitude is as deplorable as the french people hating english speakers.

MODS can we close this thread before it becomes another language war gong show?

I'm not bitching at all. I think it's great that he made his speech in French.
    And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

We can wait 1000years before seeing the first french Mayor in Toronto...
    Find what you love, and let it kill you...

Quote Originally Posted by Techman View Post
    And before anyone bitches about it, he made his entire acceptance speech in French.
    Dude, you're just assuming that people are gonna bitch. Same with the habs hockey coach, as long as they can speak french to the fans, I think it's all good. No need for constant separation of the two languages.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallseye View Post
    I think it's all good. No need for constant separation of the two languages.
    Yeah, it seems Techman has some difficulties to understand how a city like Montreal can be so open to others language that it can take an englishspeaking MAyor..

Born again punter

More important issues than language

But before we get into this: yes, it was premature to say anyone might bitch. Let it happen if it does, and then let the counter-bitching begin . Besides, Québec has-had no problems with Brian Mulroney, Jack Layton and Thomas Mulcair just to name a few...

What I find historic here is that we have our first "coalition" mayor: he was elected with support from Union Montréal defectors, Vision and Projet Montréal. Some of these people have PQ roots, yet chose the way of compromise during a stormy situation. My hat is off to them.

I am looking forward to seeing the new mayor and council work together. But a word of caution: Applebaum was Tremblay's right hand. How is it possible he did not know about all the collusion and corruption going on around him, as well as the hugely inflated costs of all MTL infrastructure projects? He is making a big deal about some buried report, but the whole truth about who ordered the report and buried it is not out yet.

Interesting times ahead.
    Une vie sans folie, c'est une vie sans goût / Life without craziness, is life without taste

You didnt understand the irony of my post, jnutz.. Irony is the only way to answer to Techman...

"STFU", "typical frenchie attiude"... You talk like a poor guy, jnutz...

Born again punter
    Quote Originally Posted by jnutz View Post
    yet we never even had a Black mayor in montreal, Toronto, or any other canadian city. Your Black in Canada, the best you can hope for is manager at McDonalds.

man777777 we have already had several french prime ministers in Canada, even though Canada is 80% Anglo, so STFU. typical frenchie attitude.
    Ok so they were not mayors nor Prime Ministers. Still:

Lincoln Alexander
    Michaëlle Jean
    Not black but Ujjal Dosanj was Premier of B.C.

You are on the rampage today with insults (STFU) and stereotypes (typical Frenchie attitude). Have a chill pill, no, have 12, they're cheaper in bulk...
    Une vie sans folie, c'est une vie sans goût / Life without craziness, is life without taste

I remember hearing complaints that Canadians only turn to women as political leaders in times of trouble when the party is a mess. (e.g. Kim Campbell, Pauline Marois)

Maybe Montrealers (as represented by their elected city counselors) are only prepared to consider an Anglo when the is political chaos and the Union party is dead on its feet. Oh, and it's a one year interim position for good measure.

sinbad

Quote Originally Posted by sapman99 View Post
    But a word of caution: Applebaum was Tremblay's right hand. How is it possible he did not know about all the collusion and corruption going on around him, as well as the hugely inflated costs of all MTL infrastructure projects? He is making a big deal about some buried report, but the whole truth about who ordered the report and buried it is not out yet.

Interesting times ahead.
    Exactly! Very well said.

Yeah, Toronto would never have a French Mayor and Canada would never elect a Black PM, sure as hell a redneck town like Calgary would never elect a African Muslim of South Asian ancestry, that would be insane. I am sure Naheed Nenshi of Calgary would agree.

Although I doubt if an Anglo could ever actually get elected as mayor. Unless that is he was completely assimilated. I've seen polls that state that more people in Quebec would never vote for an Anglo for Premier than Americans would vote an Atheist of Prez. Bit of a difference between being selected by a city council and actually winning a general election.

Born again punter
    Quote Originally Posted by jnutz View Post
    Michaelle Jean , sapman ? Don't get me started with that as to the real reason why she got that position.
    You are officially being started. I would love to hear your slant on that .

Hello Techman,

I agree with most of your points of view in these threads since i do understand where you are coming from: a minority anglophone in a francophone city. But, it still can be kind of offensive to some French members though. Keep that in mind and maybe you can tone it down slightly with the language stuff.

M10

Retired veteran hobbyist
    Quote Originally Posted by man77777 View Post
    We can wait 1000years before seeing the first french Mayor in Toronto...
    Totally different circumstances. The french-canadian community has no presence (never has) in the Toronto area, while the anglo & jewish community both have always had very strong presences in Montreal & surrounding area.

What would be comparable in Toronto would be the chinese & asian communities. Considering that Olivia Chow is now being mentionned as a candidate to replace Rob Ford, it might happen.

Congratulations to Montreal & i hope the interim-mayor does well in his functions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast