Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Montreal Restaurant Fines

Montreal Restaurant Fines

Various Montreal food providers were cited, convicted and fined during 2012 for various code infractions.

http://www.protegez-vous.ca/sante-et...salubrite.html

Good to know when dining out.
    Last edited by eastender; 01-17-2013 at 09:58 PM. Reason: typo
    LISA'S FRIEND

Yeah specially if you like going to restaurant Beijing !

Glad I never went to any of all these 50 (filthy) places.

Veteran of Misadventures
    It's interesting to see Buffet Maharaj at #5 on that list, as I recall Rumpleforeskin reporting someone he knew was food poisoned there a few years ago. I am surprised that the St. Jacques Eggspectation is #1. That is usually a very high volume restaurant especially on weekends with about 5 large hotels within 1 block of that resto.

I have eaten at the following restaurants on the top 50 list:

1- Eggspectation, St. Jacques
    13- Wok Cafe
    21- Restaurant Fung Shing
    31- Restaurant Beijing (many times)
    35 - La Caverne Grecque
    44- Restaurant Saigon VIP

Can't say any of the above stand out as obviously disgusting. Any high volume restaurant is probably going to get fined because lots of food is being shuffled through the place, and the more product, the more chances for problems and rodent infestation.
    Last edited by EagerBeaver; 01-17-2013 at 09:51 PM.

Like Alyssa Roze says you should be more concerned about the type of infraction instead of the fine amount.

Having rodent feces around food or storing chemicals on top of food is alot more serious than not having a sani bucket on line, or having your steam table 5 degrees below the recomended temperature.
    "Just When I Thought I Was Out.....They Pull Me Back In!!!"

Veteran of Misadventures
    Quote Originally Posted by Alyssa Roze View Post
    cockroaches.
    This reminds me many years ago I went to a local Chinese restaurant with my cousin, a foodie like me who is notoriously brusque with restaurant staff even under the best circumstances. We went to a restaurant that for many years had been good, but I was sensing a downward trend as we arrived, not exactly sure why.

As we sat down in our booth there was a dead cockroach laying on its back right in the middle of our table. My cousin and I both looked at it, and then at each other. 2 seconds later the waiter came over with menus. My cousin looked at him and said, "we don't want any menus. Your restaurant is disgusting (pointing at the dead cockroach on the table). We are leaving." I followed her out the door.

Place was out of business within a few months after that.

Not even gonna read the thread properly. Just gonna say I pretty much always agree with Alyssa's logical and level-headed points.

Hello all...

You might appreciate the following web site:
    http://resto-net.ca/en
    It's an open database project and will provide you most of the details about the fines (infraction, dates, judgment and fines) of most restaurants in the MTL area.
    You should be able to determine if the infractions are serious or not. You may get the drill down of a specific restaurant by clicking on it...

Hope this helps !
    QG

Veteran of Misadventures
    quietguy,

Thanks for posting that link, that website provides all the details Alyssa was looking for..................
    Last edited by EagerBeaver; 01-18-2013 at 05:27 PM.

Darn! I eat at #5 Buffet indienne Maharaja all the time. Well at least I did.

This web site is extremely helpful but it's also freaking me out.
    http://resto-net.ca/en

Thanks!

Veteran of Misadventures
    It seems that the violations assessed against Marche Kim Hour relate to storage of hot foods at inadequate temperatures. I have often wondered whether rotisserie chickens sold in places like this are kept sufficiently warm. It's a fine line because if you keep the food too hot it dries out, but if it's not 60 degrees celsius, you get fined.

Veteran of Misadventures
    Quote Originally Posted by CWipes View Post
    Darn! I eat at #5 Buffet indienne Maharaja all the time. Well at least I did.
    They have a good variety of violations, but it seems that they are at least keeping the food hot:

http://resto-net.ca/en/establishment...ienne-maharaja

At a buffet restaurant, this should be somewhat comforting to know.
    Last edited by EagerBeaver; 01-18-2013 at 01:12 PM.

Retired veteran hobbyist
    Boustan got fined a couple of times (a few years ago) under the former ownership, according to one of the sites posted here. I suspect from the nature of the fine(s) that it had to do with keeping certain types of food (e.g. chicken) warm for an extended period. Considering the type of food they serve, this was almost inevitable.

One of my buddies despised the place because he didn't find it clean enough, but he'd be very surprised at what the new ownership has done with the place. I was very impressed when i walked in last summer. The new owners, by the way, are one of its former employees & his father. I found them to be extremely friendly the last time i was there.

The original owner kind of gave me anxiety whenever i'd walk in. He reminded me a bit of the Soup Nazi from one of the Seinfeld episodes. However, i got to know him better a couple of years ago & found him to be very personable once i got to know him better (and vice-versa). He told me he had always hoped that his two sons would be interested in taking it over, but they weren't really interested. He came close to shutting the place down, but luckily for the fans of the place (like myself) one of his enterprising employees stepped up & purchased it.

Just had some Boustan delivered a couple days ago and they are MUCH friendlier on the phone now also, I even asked for some extra garlic mayo on the potatoes and did they ever put extra on! (no charge) Best deal for delivery in all of Mtl as fas as I am concerned.

Retired veteran hobbyist
    >>> Somebody already forgot what the "reply with quote" button was for? Mod 11.

I agree. I believe delivery is free if the order is over $8. They're mighty quick also!
    Last edited by Mod 11; 01-20-2013 at 02:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EagerBeaver View Post
    They have a good variety of violations, but it seems that they are at least keeping the food hot:

http://resto-net.ca/en/establishment...ienne-maharaja

At a buffet restaurant, this should be somewhat comforting to know.
    I'm not sure if a variety of violations is ever a good thing. My concern is that if these are just the violations that were detected when an inspector showed up what are the violations that occur the rest of the months the inspector doesn't show up?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast