Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21

Thread: Political bombshell Belinda Stronach to join Liberal Cabinet

  1. #1
    Habs Fan
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    MTL.
    Posts
    1,892

    Exclamation Political bombshell Belinda Stronach to join Liberal Cabinet

    This blond bombshell dropped a bombshell on Ottawa today.

    Was it personal ambition ( as Harper says) or a real concern for the future of Canada (as Belinda says) ? that motivated the billionaire heiress' decision ?

    related links:

    http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/natio...als050517.html

    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...tory/National/

    Belinda's website:

    http://www.belinda.ca/

    Belinda can play on my team any day
    Bière Froide, Cold Beer! Tricolore jusqu'au bout!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oI_ll-k_zzI
    Les Canadiens sont là!

  2. #2
    Retired veteran hobbyist
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Eastern Canada
    Posts
    17,825
    Quote Originally Posted by gohabsgo
    This blond bombshell dropped a bombshell on Ottawa today.

    Was it personal ambition ( as Harper says) or a real concern for the future of Canada (as Belinda says) ? that motivated the billionaire heiress' decision ?
    I think it was a little bit of both. Two weeks ago, Ms. Stronach, who is also a close friend of Bill Clinton's, spoke out against her party's plans to topple the government. She thought the timing was all wrong, and i must admit that i agreed with her and she went up a notch in my book when she spoke out against her own party's intentions. Canadians don't want another election so soon from the last one (end of last June). They don't want their taxpayers' money to pay for an election which will cost millions of $$. The end result of an election probably would have been a minority government in favor of the PC (Progressive Conservatives), and you probably would have seen another election called less than a year later.

    What i think Ms. Stronach didn't particularly like was her former party's hard-lined politics. She was more of a moderate. Sure, getting offered a minister's portfolio was tempting and she did accept the offer (who wouldn't?), but what sealed the deal was a secret meeting between her and the Prime Minister (Paul Martin) set up by the former Premier of Ontario, David Peterson, a Liberal and friend of both of them. Ms. Stronach and Martin realized during the face-to-face that their politics were very similar, and the fact she accepted to cross over probably will prevent the present government from getting a non-confidence vote and thus will prevent another federal election. The big vote will be held this Thursday evening, and with Stronach now on their side, the Liberals might keep control by possibly one vote or two.

    Let's face it: the PC don't help their cause by aligning themselves with the Bloc Quebecois, a separatist party whose goal in politics is to practically destroy Canada and get Quebec to separate from it. They are an official party strictly to look after Quebec's affairs, and do everything in their power to cause chaos for the Canadian Government. The fact Stephen Harper's PC decided to align themselves with the Devil (from a pro-Canadian perspective) didn't sit well with the more moderate Conservatives. There is a chance that more defections will occur now that Ms. Stronach has possibly opened the floodgates. What is interesting is the fact Ms. Stronach's boyfriend is Peter Mackay, the number two guy in the PC party, who supposedly was caught totally by surprise today when Ms. Stronach switched sides. They are rumoured to be talking a break from their relationship after today's announcement.

    Personally, i think today's shocker is good for Canada, and bad for Quebec's separatist movement. However, there are still 2 days left before the big budget vote, which might decide the future of Canada.

  3. #3
    proud infidel
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    from the civilized world
    Posts
    1,983

    Guys, guys, guys...

    you're missing the more pressing question. With Belinda's bold move to join the ranks of the federal Liberals, will that mean the end of her relationship with boyfriend and prominent federal conservative mp, Peter Mckay ???

    fml
    fml

  4. #4
    proud infidel
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    from the civilized world
    Posts
    1,983
    Quote Originally Posted by JustaJohn
    Canadians don't want another election so soon from the last one (end of last June). They don't want their taxpayers' money to pay for an election which will cost millions of $$. The end result of an election probably would have been a minority government in favor of the PC (Progressive Conservatives), and you probably would have seen another election called less than a year later.
    I have to disagree. IMHO, the real reason why Canadians don't want new elections is because they don't want to oust the party currently in power. The problem in Canada is that a lot of people, especially Quebecers in the wake of the ad sponsorship scandal, would like to vote for a party other than the Liberals but don't because they don't see any other reasonable alternative. It's really a shame that the Conservatives do not get more recognition in Canada. Personally i blame a lot of it on the media. Most of them are lefty and totally dominate the media landscape, a true monopoly, leaving the Conservative Party without any effective PR machine to promote their ideas. At least, south of the border, they have a more balanced media representation of both liberal and conservative ideologies. However, here in Canada, we are doomed to remain endlessly stuck with a chronic aristocracy called "the Liberal Party of Canada".

    As far as the prospects of a future minority conservative government, i doubt it. A recent Léger poll showed that most Ontarians favour the Liberals, and, for the Conservatives to have any chance of winning the upcoming elections, they must prevail in Ontario.


    fml
    fml

  5. #5
    proud infidel
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    from the civilized world
    Posts
    1,983
    It sure looks like in Canadian politics it's not so much party allegiance and ideology that's important but rather who's more likely to be at the right place at the right time .

    fml
    fml

  6. #6
    Retired veteran hobbyist
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Eastern Canada
    Posts
    17,825

    Providers being 1000% more honorable?? Quite an exaggeration!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dee
    No matter which, if any, party you are a fan of, her switch (especially after having run for the leadership of the Conservatives) confirms that you can never think too lowly of politicians. The ladies we discuss on this board are 1,000 times more honourable.
    So how do you call providers that leave an agency in order to work for another? What about providers who moonlight for agencies other than their own? What about providers who 'steal' clients from the agency that set them up in order to 'see them on the side' and pocket all the money for themselves? What about providers that no-show for appointments? I have a feeling that many agency operators would disagree with you.

  7. #7
    Retired veteran hobbyist
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Eastern Canada
    Posts
    17,825
    Quote Originally Posted by femaleluver
    The problem in Canada is that a lot of people, especially Quebecers in the wake of the ad sponsorship scandal, would like to vote for a party other than the Liberals but don't because they don't see any other reasonable alternative. It's really a shame that the Conservatives do not get more recognition in Canada. Personally i blame a lot of it on the media. Most of them are lefty and totally dominate the media landscape, a true monopoly, leaving the Conservative Party without any effective PR machine to promote their ideas.
    As far as the prospects of a future minority conservative government, i doubt it. A recent Léger poll showed that most Ontarians favour the Liberals, and, for the Conservatives to have any chance of winning the upcoming elections, they must prevail in Ontario.
    The sponsorshop scandal is a Quebec thing, in the mind of the rest of Canadians. They don't care much about it. Plus, the rest of Canada are fed up with elections and all that spending that comes along with it. You say it's a shame that the PC are not more recognized in Canada. Well, maybe a good gut check is in order if you're a member of the PC party. They have no one to blame but themselves for this. Stop depending on people like David Frum (former Bush speechwriter) and gather advisors and political strategists that will come up with the right formulas to reach Canadians. As for the media not promoting enough Conservative party ideas, that is total b.s. Both major federal parties have various parts of the media in their back pockets, whether it's on tv, radio, or in the newspapers. Maybe some of them are doing their jobs better at influencing their followers than others are.

    As for that Leger poll, i don't really know how accurate it is. If it is accurate and that the Liberals would maintain their edge if an election would be called today, well, now maybe you can understand how many Canadians (outside Quebec) feel (including Ms. Stronach) and realize that it'd be incredibly stupid and a total waste of money to call an election now when the Liberals would probably win again, and if not, the PC would gain a minority government at the very best.

  8. #8
    Retired veteran hobbyist
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Eastern Canada
    Posts
    17,825
    Quote Originally Posted by femaleluver
    It sure looks like in Canadian politics it's not so much party allegiance and ideology that's important but rather who's more likely to be at the right place at the right time .l
    No need to roll your eyes. The same thing happens in other countries, including the Land of Uncle Sam. A year or two ago, the Republican Party had one of their own members do a flip-flop and they lost their edge in Congress when he joined the Democratic Party. Another example of this occurred during the 2004 Republican Party Convention, when Democrat Senator Zell Miller of Georgia was the key speaker at the convention, tearing into John Kerry and his Democratic Party, and swearing allegiance to the Republicans. Miller was well-known to shift party allegiances in the past in order to gain personal political gains. He was jokingly referred to as Zell "Me Party" Miller among his colleagues.

  9. #9
    proud infidel
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    from the civilized world
    Posts
    1,983
    To tell you the truth, i would have thought that to jump directly from being a simple opposition mp to a cabinet minister for the party in power is illegal in Canada. Because, if you think about it, that could set a dangerous precedent. People could espouse any party deemed by them most likely able to lead them to victory in their precincts, and then, once in parliament, they could switch over to their true party or to the one in power. I say that there should be some type of regulation against such possible schemes.

    fml
    fml

  10. #10
    Almost A GOOD BOY
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    STEAM ZONE
    Posts
    358

    Stronach affair...

    This brings us the proof that actual liberal government in TOTALLY unable to drive the bus. Sorry but Ms Stonarch is a millionaire princess ( issued from the Magna business) who has NOT A DROP of political experience . But her father , friend of Mr Paul Martin , is now living in Switzerland to avoid any income tax on large federal subsidies to Magna.. EVIDENCE OF PURE LIBERAL BUISINESS LOBBING….

    Sorry for this one but Ms Stonach does not belong to politics….Her large Stonarch EGO may…. but she is totally useless for our country…

    I wonder if she comes wet with my cock in her mouth...

    Spiky

  11. #11
    I feel that if an elected MP wishes to change parties they should have to resign their parliamentary seat and be re-elected before they can sit as a member of another party. Most politicians are elected because of the party they represent not because of who they are and by changing parties she is no longer representing the people who voted for her as a conservative.

  12. #12
    Retired veteran hobbyist
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Eastern Canada
    Posts
    17,825
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee
    Interestingly enough you don't even have to be elected at all to be in Cabinet in Canada...
    Take Kim Campbell, Canada's first-ever Prime Minister. She only became PM after Brian Mulroney left politics, while still being PM. She never was elected. Actually, this isn't much different than George W Bush in 2000...he got the Presidency by being appointed to it by the Supreme Court. Al Gore had more total votes. Long story that has been discussed over and over before...no need to go back there.

    Like Train said earlier, i'm also tired of the corruption. However, this sponsorship scandal was created by the Chretien Government. I think Paul Martin's Government deserves a chance to prove itself and clean up the mess. After all, he's the one that called for an inquiry.

    There won't be less corruption with the PC or anyone else. That's politics....corruption and politics go hand in hand, always will.

  13. #13
    Retired veteran hobbyist
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Eastern Canada
    Posts
    17,825
    Quote Originally Posted by spiky
    This brings us the proof that actual liberal government in TOTALLY unable to drive the bus. Sorry but Ms Stonarch is a millionaire princess ( issued from the Magna business) who has NOT A DROP of political experience . But her father , friend of Mr Paul Martin , is now living in Switzerland to avoid any income tax on large federal subsidies to Magna.. EVIDENCE OF PURE LIBERAL BUISINESS LOBBING….

    Sorry for this one but Ms Stonach does not belong to politics….Her large Stonarch EGO may…. but she is totally useless for our country.
    Well, in politics, experience isn't always a requirement. Take the case of our friends south of the border, for example. Belinda Stronach has as much political experience as the US President ever had when he was appointed President in 2000. As for implying that she entered the political arena while riding her father's coat tails, i disagree. For one thing, she would have been a member of the Liberal party if he would have used his influence with the PM to get her in. Instead, she joined a federal party that was in total chaos and didn't have an identity when she first joined. And even if so, i would have come back with the US President example once again, where Bush Jr. got to where he is only because of his daddy. This is fact.

    You want a Canadian example of someone entering the political arena on his or her father's coat tails?? None other than Sheila Copps, former deputy Prime Minister of Canada. I hate her!!
    Last edited by Doc Holliday; 05-19-2005 at 10:24 AM.

  14. #14
    Retired veteran hobbyist
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Eastern Canada
    Posts
    17,825
    Quote Originally Posted by Train
    Agree....but the corruption escalates the longer a party is in power and when they realize people will always give them another chance. Time to dust them .....just out of principle.

    As far as Dee's comment ....not at all true ......she was elected to parliment in the last general election prior to being appointed a cabinet minister. You must be an elected MP before you can be appointed. If you are American perhaps you could inform me as to how many "cabinet ministers " or "Secretaries" as in Secretary of State etc are elected officials ?
    Even though we have disagreed on many issues in the past, i've always respected your opinion and i totally agree with what you just said. Yes, corruption escalates the longer a party is in power and they get over-confident. However, the majority of Canadians (including myself) simply don't want to go through another election again. It's too soon, and not much will be accomplished out of this except for once again wasting millions of taxpayer dollars. Do you yourself really want an election now?

    Also......which of the two is the least of the two evils? The Liberal Party or Stephen Harper's PC and its right-wing politics? I think i'd still vote Liberal, hoping that they learned a lesson and got a good spanking once the Gomery Report is in. I still believe that Paul Martin is a decent person with the best intentions at heart.....some may say to a fault. As for the party he's leading, well....no comment. They do deserve a good spanking, i regret to say.

  15. #15
    Retired veteran hobbyist
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Eastern Canada
    Posts
    17,825
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee
    When I said you didn't have to be elected at all to be a member of the cabinet I wasn't referring to Kim Campbell... Justajohn made that reference...I stand by what I say.
    Train didn't make a mistake. You did when reading his post. He's referring to Belinda Stronach, not Kim Campbell. Here's what he wrote:

    "She was elected to parliment in the last general election prior to being appointed a cabinet minister."

    As said, he's referring to Stronach, not Campbell. Belinda Stronach indeed was elected to parliament by her constituents during the last general election last June.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •