University of Amanda
Jerkmate

Mixing politics and sports

Fradi

Apr 10, 2019
Around the corner
I think he did that because he never could tell if they were girl or boy and now that he is President he can’t sniff it out anymore.
Just goes to show what is important to this fuckwit.
They wonder why women's sports are not as popular, it will be even less, who wants to watch transgender athletes destroy the records held by women who have worked hard all their life to be able to take part in a world championship or Olympic event.
I wonder how popular these “athletes” will be with the women they are competing with.
They can live their life however they want but they should not be allowed into competitions that give them an outright unfair advantage, just like people who take performance enhancing drugs.

Reactions: CaptRenault

Theresa April

Jun 12, 2020

thegreatwalooo

Dec 27, 2005
NYC
Mark Cuban at it again:

Valcazar

Mar 6, 2013
Shame he is backing down.
If we just got rid of national anthems at sports, it would be a big step to unmixing politics and sports.

CaptRenault

A poor corrupt official
Jun 30, 2003
Casablanca
...If we just got rid of national anthems at sports, it would be a big step to unmixing politics and sports.
If we just got rid of the NBA, it would be a big step to “unmixing” politics and sports.

EagerBeaver

Veteran of Misadventures
Jul 11, 2003
U.S.A.
Visit site
There is a large segment of the population that watches the NBA and only pays attention to the basketball part of it. And like the basketball part of it. I do not pay attention to what athletes have to say in any sport. On the subject of the NBA, I just finished watching the Netflix series "The Last Dance", about the Chicago Bulls Dynasty in the 1990s when they won 6 championships with Michael Jordan. The only politics mentioned at all in this excellent 10 episode series, which focuses on the personalities on that team and their trials and tribulations on and off the court, was a very small part of one episode which discussed and analyzed the withering criticism Michael Jordan endured when he refrained from publicly endorsing either candidate when a black senatorial candidate ran against Jesse Helms in North Carolina in the early 1990s. Jordan famously quipped at the time, "Republicans buy sneakers too", to explain why he refrained from endorsing the black Democratic candidate. He was thereafter derided for choosing business over conscience, although the "Last Dance" did reveal that he quietly and anonymously donated money to the black candidate, who was defeated by Jesse Helms.

You can choose to watch sports and only pay attention to the sporting aspect, and avoid mixing.

Valcazar

Mar 6, 2013
If we just got rid of the NBA, it would be a big step to “unmixing” politics and sports.

But the NBA is popular.
Just stop doing the national anthem at sports.
End the stupid military flyby stuff, too.
We don't need this political bullshit, just let people play.

thegreatwalooo

Dec 27, 2005
NYC
I think the national anthem is patriotic, not political. It's patriotic when we all stand united and remove our hats during the national anthem. It's political when players decide to take a knee in protest during the national anthem.

oobe

Merber
Oct 31, 2003
montreal
Visit site
I think the national anthem is patriotic, not political. It's patriotic when we all stand united and remove our hats during the national anthem. It's political when players decide to take a knee in protest during the national anthem.
Everything is political, unless you are one of those the system is working for, in which case it's just the natural order of things...

Last edited:
Reactions: Valcazar

Valcazar

Mar 6, 2013
Conspicuous displays of compulsive patriotism is obvioulsy political.

Sol Tee Nutz

Apr 29, 2012
Look behind you.
^^^^^ Just my opinion but if the same anthem is being played while any political party is in power it is not political.

thegreatwalooo

Dec 27, 2005
NYC
“The Star-Spangled Banner” is the national anthem of the United States. By the time the song officially became the country’s anthem in 1931, it had been one of America’s most popular patriotic tunes for more than a century.

Valcazar

Mar 6, 2013
“The Star-Spangled Banner” is the national anthem of the United States. By the time the song officially became the country’s anthem in 1931, it had been one of America’s most popular patriotic tunes for more than a century.

Yes, and?
Yes, you are. Do you think things that are nonpartisan aren't political?

• Haha
Reactions: Sol Tee Nutz

CaptRenault

A poor corrupt official
Jun 30, 2003
Casablanca
Reactions: Sol Tee Nutz

Fradi

Apr 10, 2019
Around the corner
They have been playing national anthems in international sports as a way to show sportsmanship, hospitality, and respect to the country they are hosting and as a way to acknowledge the outstanding achievement of athletes.
As an athlete there could probably be nothing more memorable In their career than when they stand on top of the podium with their national anthem playing and their countries flag being raised.

That is unless you are in the NBA or NFL, then it is Nike commercials and all the BS that comes with it.
It is unfortunate that especially American sports figures cannot play the game they are good at without wanting to be the centre of attention and trying to make political statements.
Just shut the fuck up and play the game and do what you are good at.

Valcazar

Mar 6, 2013
They have been playing national anthems in international sports as a way to show sportsmanship, hospitality, and respect to the country they are hosting and as a way to acknowledge the outstanding achievement of athletes.
As an athlete there could probably be nothing more memorable In their career than when they stand on top of the podium with their national anthem playing and their countries flag being raised.

And I have no problem with them doing it in International Sports, where the politics are different. People are going to protest there as well sometimes, sure, but the politics of playing national anthems in international sport are very different.

That is unless you are in the NBA or NFL, then it is Nike commercials and all the BS that comes with it.
It is unfortunate that especially American sports figures cannot play the game they are good at without wanting to be the centre of attention and trying to make political statements.
Just shut the fuck up and play the game and do what you are good at.

So you agree with me that they shouldn't play the national anthem at the NBA or NFL or MLB?

Fradi

Apr 10, 2019
Around the corner
And I have no problem with them doing it in International Sports, where the politics are different. People are going to protest there as well sometimes, sure, but the politics of playing national anthems in international sport are very different.

So you agree with me that they shouldn't play the national anthem at the NBA or NFL or MLB?
I don’t see a big reason to play it at these venues, then again these are sports that interest me the least.
Baseball I find about as interesting and exiting as cricket, professional basketball it is enough to watch the last 5 minutes that is when most of the games are decided and football I watch the college games more than the NFL.
There is no other country involved, people came to see the game not to hear some second rate singer singing the national anthem I cringe every time I hear one of them trying to be artistic and make a shambles out of it.
When there are athletes from competing countries I think it is a nice tradition of respect and sportsmanship for each other as I have explained before.

It doesn’t bother me that they sing the national anthem ( actually I find the US anthem to be quite pleasant to listen to the Canadian also, even though I am not fond of Russia their anthem is one of the best) I just don’t see the relevance to it when teams are from the same country.

Anthems I can live with it is all this political garbage and political correctness that commentators feel they must educate the public on that gets my goat, I wish they would just shut the fuck up and talk about the game and the players abilities and the players also should leave their political views to interviews that are for political reasons not when they are interviewed about the game they just played in.
Apart from all the Habs games I watch much more European sport channels than North American.