Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: best place in montreal to buy a second hand computer..

best place in montreal to buy a second hand computer..

hello fellow merbites..

i was thinking of replacing my pentium 2....wirh a more recent computer...

i was wondering if buying a second hand computer but pretty recent model
    would be a good idea....if so..where in montreal???

any ideas on this?

You can get a Pentium 3, 1.13Ghz with windows 2000 for around 200$ if you look around. These tend to be used office systems and can be found in many different stores. Try to pick of a free copy of Hub magazine and you will find ads from many stores who deal in used equipment. If you can't find one, let me know and I'll PM you a couple of phone numbers of stores in the Mtl area.

Humonguous Member

Dirt cheap for new computers

Below 500$ you can get brand new.
    All-in-one motherboards, 256mb ram, 40g, XP home, AMD Duron. All legal.

Just keep the same monitor, mouse, keyboard.

Used = problems (virus, spyware, no cd's to reinstall) unless you buy from a store. The store will give you a 30 day warranty or 90 day on a 200$ computer, whereas for 439$ at MDG you get a full year warranty.
    ...larger than ever
    ...but divorce had me lose weight...I can see the tip now!

Quote Originally Posted by CantSeeMrHappy
    Used = problems (virus, spyware, no cd's to reinstall) unless you buy from a store. The store will give you a 30 day warranty or 90 day on a 200$ computer, whereas for 439$ at MDG you get a full year warranty.
    if you are gonna buy a used one, just ask the guy to reformate the computer... no virus, spyware... but don't forget to ask him for the instal CDs if he is the one puting everything back on!

But personnally, you are better off buy a new dell for 500 CND$ than an old one, unless you know a lot about computer!

or, the best thing to do, build it yourself.

i've done it 4x already, and every time i save a bundle and have a cutting edge pc. with the money saved, get yourself dual 19 inch LCD monitors, like me

actually, for low-end computers, the best deals are those super cheap systems already mentioned.

I did well with Tiger Direct www.tigerdirect.ca Refurbished PCs are kinda used and they're cheap.

Even if you have no knowledge whatsoever on computers, the cheapest way is to pay someone like 100$ to build you a computer! You will save a lot of money and you will have one of the best systems without investing much (espacially if you go Athlon, which costs less and is much much better )!

If you aren't looking for the best system 2 choices: microbytes, or a store similar! They have very cheap PCs that aren't half bad!
    Second choice, Futureshop and negociate the shit out of the guy! Espacially end of the month, all they want is sell sell sell and get rid of their inventory!

Flea market.

I remember seeing in a flea market on the Metropolitan near Langelier a computer shop inside the flea market. The shop was quite large and had a large variety of used computers.
    You might also try going to www.finditinmontreal.com and search for "used computers". There does not seem to be a shortage of used computer shops.

If you don't mind driving to the south shore, you could go to Frosty's. Pick out the parts you want and they will put it together for you for a modest charge. And there's no tax on anything they sell so you'll save a bit of cash that way also. They have a web site, just google them and you'll find it.

Forget What Steve Nash Says...

Stay away from MDG! Building it yourself is the best option.
    GO SENS GO

just thought of this, buy parts in the indien reserves!!! not expansive!

Quote Originally Posted by mtlman2005
    Even if you have no knowledge whatsoever on computers, the cheapest way is to pay someone like 100$ to build you a computer! You will save a lot of money and you will have one of the best systems without investing much (espacially if you go Athlon, which costs less and is much much better )!

If you aren't looking for the best system 2 choices: microbytes, or a store similar! They have very cheap PCs that aren't half bad!
    Second choice, Futureshop and negociate the shit out of the guy! Espacially end of the month, all they want is sell sell sell and get rid of their inventory!
    first of all, $100 is too much to get someone to build you a computer. $50 is about right, if they do the parts selection. places like NCIX will do it for like $20 if you pick the parts.

second, if you get some random schmuck to do it, two things: 1) you're more than likely to get pirated software 2) you'd be lucky to get any support at all.

what I was saying was find someone, a friend or a friend of a friend to do it, because he won't try to sell you something that you don't need. He will consider your needs and what would be better for you!
    And I just said 100 because, euh..., it sounded cool? it was just random, 50 probably makes more sense now that i think of it!

used computers are like buying a used condom. whatever you save isnt worth it just buy new.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast