Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Is this a decent area of Montreal?

  1. #1

    Is this a decent area of Montreal?

    Hey all:

    I'm looking at buying a piece of property in Montreal (I'm from Toronto).

    Is this area a "nice" one? And how far is this from Old Montreal? Walkable?

    It's on Rue de Coleraine, in the Atwater Market area. Real estate agent says it's "up-and-coming". Does this mean it's rough and tumble now? LOL

    Thanks for your help!

  2. #2

    You'll have to go and take a look

    The area around Atwater market has pockets of absolute yuppy-ism (and also overpriced) and some other pockets of bad poverty. If your realtor says "up and coming", i'd suspect it's in the poor, in-course-of-gentification, part.

    It's at least an half hour walk to the western limit of old montreal.

    Personally, i'd recommend NDG around Monkland. The area is is well built, fairly young, the stores are perfect (boutiques, cafés, bookstores, specialized groceries) and the schools are good.

  3. #3
    Interesting, thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by Consult
    The area around Atwater market has pockets of absolute yuppy-ism (and also overpriced) and some other pockets of bad poverty. If your realtor says "up and coming", i'd suspect it's in the poor, in-course-of-gentification, part.

    It's at least an half hour walk to the western limit of old montreal.

    Personally, i'd recommend NDG around Monkland. The area is is well built, fairly young, the stores are perfect (boutiques, cafés, bookstores, specialized groceries) and the schools are good.

  4. #4
    I beleive your spot in WestMount? Westmount is not the same south of Sherbrooke, meaning the rich live north of Sherbrooke. That being said, the location seems good. Only thing to watch out is the neiberhood (at least 2 km^2).

    Another note, if your note sure, let it pass, there's always the next one...


    As far as NDG, it's not bad but forget about walking to the OldPort. We're talking of a 30 minutes bicycle ride if you dont want to take the car or the shitass metro.
    Last edited by zigezon; 04-18-2006 at 05:48 PM.

  5. #5

    Plateau East Boundary

    Quote Originally Posted by regnad
    I've just bought a second home in the Plateau, an area bounded by Park Mont-Royal on the West, Sherbrooke on the South, the railroad tracks on the North, not quite sure of the east.

    Wallpaper Magazine (http://www.wallpaper.com) calls the Plateau "the coolest neighborhood in North America." Utne Reader has called it "one of the 15 hippest."

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Plateau
    The eastern boundary of the Plateau is formed by the northern railway tracks.
    Once you pass Papineau they gradually sweep south east crossing Sherbrooke
    a few blocks east of Frontenac.

  6. #6
    How far is it from Downtown Montreal?

    How far being either "driving time", "walking time", or "subway time"... answer what best fits the question.

    Any well know places or landmark's in the area that may help us know what part of Montreal this is.

    "if god created anything greater then woman... he must have kept it to himself"

    _

  7. #7
    proud infidel
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    from the civilized world
    Posts
    1,983
    Quote Originally Posted by Consult
    The area around Atwater market has pockets of absolute yuppy-ism (and also overpriced) and some other pockets of bad poverty. If your realtor says "up and coming", i'd suspect it's in the poor, in-course-of-gentification, part.

    It's at least an half hour walk to the western limit of old montreal.

    Personally, i'd recommend NDG around Monkland. The area is is well built, fairly young, the stores are perfect (boutiques, cafés, bookstores, specialized groceries) and the schools are good.
    Not to mention that you'd probably be within walking distance of Villa-Maria metro station.

    I know some people who have enquired about and visited condos located close to the Atwater market area, alongside the canal, and I was told by them that they are indeed overpriced, especially considering that there are slums nearby. Personally, I'd avoid investing in that area.

    fml

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by regnad
    I've just bought a second home in the Plateau, an area bounded by Park Mont-Royal on the West, Sherbrooke on the South, the railroad tracks on the North, not quite sure of the east.

    Wallpaper Magazine (http://www.wallpaper.com) calls the Plateau "the coolest neighborhood in North America." Utne Reader has called it "one of the 15 hippest."

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Plateau
    Next party at Regnad's house!
    Memory loves time

  9. #9
    proud infidel
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    from the civilized world
    Posts
    1,983
    Quote Originally Posted by regnad
    I've just bought a second home in the Plateau, an area bounded by Park Mont-Royal on the West, Sherbrooke on the South, the railroad tracks on the North, not quite sure of the east.

    Wallpaper Magazine (http://www.wallpaper.com) calls the Plateau "the coolest neighborhood in North America." Utne Reader has called it "one of the 15 hippest."

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Plateau
    Are you kidding me? Congrats, reg!! Although the area in question sounds more like ''Mile End''.

  10. #10
    Thanks to all who posted in the thread. I'll keep looking.

    Funny thing is that Montreal's real estate prices are so incredibly low compared to Toronto that even a sweet loft in Old Montreal seems like a an absolute steal to me.

    Big Daddy Cool your reference to Cabbagetown in Toronto said it all. LOL. My mother lived there briefly some years back, and I moved her out of there as soon as I could. Gangs, drugs--the area had it all.

  11. #11
    I lived in Pte-Ste-Charles and it is NOT a high crime neighbourhood, nor is it a welfare district. PSC is a low-income working class area, and when you hit Coleraine street, you are in a primarily Irish area. My grandfather had 2 large buildings there, and I loved it there, and am hoping to move back to the area this July. Is it up and coming... not now, not after the loss of the Casino.

    It is VERY close to an up and coming area, it has potential to become a great area because of its closeness to downtown (put it this way... by bus, 5-10 minutes maximum to Concordia U), which is another reason I want to move back - Laval is lovely, but travel is a pain in the rear!

    Depending on the price, the fix up needs, I think PSC has plenty of potential, especially now that the government has its eyes on the area.

    xoxox
    Anik

    Quote Originally Posted by Romantic1
    Thanks to all who posted in the thread. I'll keep looking.

    Funny thing is that Montreal's real estate prices are so incredibly low compared to Toronto that even a sweet loft in Old Montreal seems like a an absolute steal to me.

    Big Daddy Cool your reference to Cabbagetown in Toronto said it all. LOL. My mother lived there briefly some years back, and I moved her out of there as soon as I could. Gangs, drugs--the area had it all.

  12. #12
    Psychiatric help, 5 cents
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    384

    No thanks

    I'd have to agree with big daddy cool & Dahlia . Not such a great move

  13. #13
    Gentleman Horndog
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    181
    Quote Originally Posted by femaleluver2
    ...Although the area in question sounds more like ''Mile End''.
    Quote Originally Posted by regnad
    I believe that Mile End is just north of the Plateau and centered more on the Main.
    Unless things have changed since I left my hometown in 1983, regnad is pretty well correct. Mile End is bounded by Avenue du Parc on the west, Jean Talon on the north, Rue St. Denis on the east and Bernard/Bellechasse on the south. It includes Jean Talon Market and Little Italy.

    Note those are Montreal directions - they are rotated about 60 degrees counterclockwise from true geographic directions.

    I grew up in Park Extension, which was (and still is) a working class neighbourhood. Snobs that we were, we considered Point St. Charles/Griffintown, St. Henri and parts of Verdun to be slums, even in the 1950s. They still are, as far as I can tell.
    Last edited by Avery; 06-04-2006 at 08:55 PM.
    May your genitalia never fail ya.

  14. #14

    Old Mtl Condo

    Quote Originally Posted by Romantic1
    Funny thing is that Montreal's real estate prices are so incredibly low compared to Toronto that even a sweet loft in Old Montreal seems like a an absolute steal to me.
    If you are still in the market, PM me as I have a condo in Old Montreal for sale (or rent)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •