View Poll Results: At how many posts per day would you consider the Board has become an addiction?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Less than .5 posts per day

2 7.41%
  • More than 1 post per day

6 22.22%
  • More than 2 posts per day

5 18.52%
  • More than 4 posts per day

14 51.85%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: At what post count per day does the board become addictive?

At what post count per day does the board become addictive?

Was thinking the other day...at what point does the hobby turn into an addiction. Then as im surfing thru the board i started twisting the question towards the board...How addictive is the Board? Or more speicifically "at what post count would you consider the board HAS become addictive?" For those who mainly surf but HAVE to surf the board guess we'll never know for sure how many addicts are out there

Grabbed a post count from a handful of posters at random (if i missed you your more than welcome to add your post count and posts per day...or those of another poster).

EagerBeaver Total Posts: 2,834 (2.77 posts per day)
    General Gonad Total Posts: 1,000 (8.43 posts per day)
    btyger Total Posts: 436 (3.98 posts per day)
    orallover Total Posts: 927 (2.12 posts per day)
    Special KTotal Posts: 1,077 (0.99 posts per day)
    Lion Heart Total Posts: 518 (1.08 posts per day)
    regnad Total Posts: 1,546 (1.49 posts per day)
    Train Total Posts: 841 (0.74 posts per day)
    Techman Total Posts: 1,037 (2.11 posts per day)
    oliver kloseoff Total Posts: 1,516 (1.42 posts per day)
    breadman Total Posts: 567 (0.67 posts per day)

It's hopeless for me - I am hooked!

Quote Originally Posted by breadman
    Was thinking the other day...at what point does the hobby turn into an addiction....

General Gonad Total Posts: 1,000 (8.43 posts per day)
    breadman,

Is this your polite way of telling me that I need to get a life? Shit at this rate I might surpass EB in six months.

GG

P.S. Add another useless post to my count.You also forgot one last option: more than 8 posts per day!

Also...

If you add all the love letters I've been privately sending to Karma, my posts could easily be in the hundreds of thousands.

Looking at the post count is only a partial indication of who is addicted to the board IMO, albeit the most obvious one. Many members (including myself) are looking at the boards multiple times per day, and even if they don't post, they are still addicted. When I look at the list of online users down the home page, I notice some of you (including most of the ones listed by breadman) to almost always be there, as if they had nothing else to do. No offense to you guys, but Damn! It would also be interesting to get the number on online minutes per day, if vbulletin has that reporting option. Finally, many members are probably checking Merb without being logged on, logging on only when posting. These guys wouldn't show up on board stats, but are still addicted.

Bottom line, addiction to this and other similar boards is more serious than what we can see at first.

Quote Originally Posted by Gentle2her
    Bottom line, addiction to this and other similar boards is more serious than what we can see at first.
    I will also add to your excellent post by stating that many "senior" members are on-line and you do not see their names below: EB, Special K, Regnad and others. I do not understand why they cannot display everybody's name down there when they're obviously lurking around...

My activity is early in the morning and late at night...and on weekends it varies. But yes, I should cut it down. At least posting is free or I would be broke.

GG

Quote Originally Posted by General Gonad
    I do not understand why they cannot display everybody's name down there when they're obviously lurking around...
    Guilt might be one of the reasons, not wanting everyone to see how often we are there.

The "invisibility" option seems to be a configurable option of the software, since the other board doesn't provide it to the members to use, while here we can.

breadman,

Is this your polite way of telling me that I need to get a life? Shit at this rate I might surpass EB in six months.

GG

P.S. Add another useless post to my count.You also forgot one last option: more than 8 posts per day!
    GG,

At this rate, you ARE going to overtake EB, you'll be the king of the hill

Seriously, I'm addicted to MERB and it is starting to affect my personal life. I have to do something about it, sooner than later.

I feel like we are brothers in arms and that we can find solace in each other even if sometimes the gloves come off.

A sucker is born every NY minute.

The "invisibility" option is bullshit

Quote Originally Posted by Gentle2her
    The "invisibility" option seems to be a configurable option of the software, since the other board doesn't provide it to the members to use, while here we can.
    I think this option is useless since you can view the contents of Merb without having to log on. Many lurkers do this. This is a bullshit option as far as I am concerned and allows for sneak attacks. One thing I like about Stripper Lover is that I KNOW when he is logged on. He has nothing to hide. Members that have this option should immediately disable it. In fact, Merb shouldn't even allow it.

GG

Working rage-aholic
    It's like any addiction...quantity is one measure, but not always the most accurate one. I'm addicted. In fact, I have a shockingly addictive personality. At least I know it.
    GG, I took your advice and just disabled invisible mode. Congrats on going over 1,000 posts. At your current rate, you'll overtake EB in less than 11 months. I did the math. I need to get a life. I'm going out...as soon as I'm done lurking...
    Why are homely people discriminated against...we're the majority

Quote Originally Posted by btyger
    GG, I took your advice and just disabled invisible mode. Congrats on going over 1,000 posts. At your current rate, you'll overtake EB in less than 11 months. I did the math. I need to get a life. I'm going out...as soon as I'm done lurking...
    LOL, you do need to get a life and so do I. It is a beautiful day - I think I might go for a nice coffee and soak up some sun.

GG

I think I might go for a nice coffee and soak up some sun.

GG
    ....At an internet cafe that serves coffee, has free wireless for your laptop and an outdoor sitting area....and also has tons of hot SP's walking by in their off time for you to 'research'

Note to GG...sampling of posters was just that, the first handful i ran across (left off Doc H for one)...cant help it if your name is in every thread
    Last edited by breadman; 04-29-2006 at 03:38 PM.

I think this option is useless since you can view the contents of Merb without having to log on. Many lurkers do this. This is a bullshit option as far as I am concerned and allows for sneak attacks. One thing I like about Stripper Lover is that I KNOW when he is logged on. He has nothing to hide. Members that have this option should immediately disable it. In fact, Merb shouldn't even allow it.
    GG
    SL is probably one of the most honest, direct, and straighforward person of this board, but your statement that you "KNOW when he is logged on" is also bullshit. No offense to SL but how could you be sure he ALWAYS logon? As you just said, he could very well "view the contents of Merb without having to log on" (as anyone else could for that matter).

I totally agree with your comment about invisibility, and I would push it one step further: 1) Disable invisibility (like M.E.R.C) and 2) Force users to logon in order to view ANYTHING (like TERB). That would be the best way to minimize "sneak attacks".

Humonguous Member

It's the interaction with the people, more than hobbying itself.
    ...larger than ever
    ...but divorce had me lose weight...I can see the tip now!

logged on

Dont forget, there are those posters who dont have to worry about logging off at their home computer to keep prying eyes away from others. With todays highspeed cable lines one doesnt have to bother logging off and on anymore...

If the guy goes out for a couple hours and doesnt log off the board, the board will show that he's currently 'ON'...

from a poster on terb

Total Posts: 16,504 (17.72 posts per day)

GG, better eat your wheaties, hope that carpal tunnel doesnt act up and take a couple of cans of red bull...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast