Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pittsburgh Penguins Accused of "Sports Terrorism" in Signing of Malkin

Veteran of Misadventures

Pittsburgh Penguins Accused of "Sports Terrorism" in Signing of Malkin

Retired veteran hobbyist
    Again, it's all about money. Agreement or not. I understand the Russian federation's plight that professional leagues are raiding their crop of young hockey stars, but that's life! Junior hockey in Canada is in the same boat as they are.

Talking Transfer Fees

Quote Originally Posted by Big Daddy Cool
    WOULD THE RUSSIAN HOCKEY FEDERATION JUST SHUT THE FUCK UP. For God's sake if they were more realistic and get an agreement this shit would not be happening. Malkin is a top rated superstar and his talents deserve to be displayed on the best stage of all (NHL). Reality check for Russia: you can't financially compeat with the NHL in hockey anymore than we in Canada and the MLS can compeate with the Italia Serie A or other big Europen leagues in soccer. It's the way it is and Malkin deserves to make the top dollars he's able to make. His talent deserves no less.

I don't see it comming to this, but imagin if the best Russian players could not play in the NHL without becoming a Canadian or American citizen, because the Russian Hockey Federation didn't get off its asses to sign an agreement. Then maybe some of these players would be happy to play for their new country in international competition. Then I would laugh my ass off.
    Compared to soccer transfer fews -over $15,000,000.00 for some of the leading stars like Shevchenko,$200,000.00 for Malkin is ridiculously low.

Smile Junior Hockey

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday
    Again, it's all about money. Agreement or not. I understand the Russian federation's plight that professional leagues are raiding their crop of young hockey stars, but that's life! Junior hockey in Canada is in the same boat as they are.
    Junior hockey has age limits but the Russian Elite Hockey League does not.

malkin sign a contract last week with the russian team so we should wait a year in order to see him

Veteran of Misadventures

Malkin Missing But Said To Be Safe; Reportedly Has A Canadian Visa

Quote Originally Posted by voyageur11
    malkin sign a contract last week with the russian team so we should wait a year in order to see him
    It doesn't matter. With a good agent, he should be able to get out of that and play for the Penguins. Also, the Pens want him and they'll chip in to compensate the Russians. One thing for sure, he ain't going back to Russia.
    A demander: une cochonne Quebecoise ou Allemande avec qui le sol se derobe sous mes pieds!

Quote Originally Posted by picasso
    It doesn't matter. With a good agent, he should be able to get out of that and play for the Penguins. Also, the Pens want him and they'll chip in to compensate the Russians. One thing for sure, he ain't going back to Russia.
    remember yashin from ottawa

Habs vs Malkin

Pens at Habs: Feb. 4, 2007
    Only visit of Crosby and Malkin to Montreal this season.
    Anyone wanna go?

remember yashin from ottawa
    That's like 10 years ago, dude. Also, it should be pointed out that unlike this case, Yashin played for the Red Army in his own country even though he was under contract to the Sens. Imagine the Sens flying to hostile territory and demanding that the Moscow Red Army hand him over !
    A demander: une cochonne Quebecoise ou Allemande avec qui le sol se derobe sous mes pieds!

When i sign a contract with a customer i do respect it. Going back on your word is no way to make business

Wink Wake up and smell the java

When i sign a contract with a customer i do respect it. Going back on your word is no way to make business
    There is a real world and then there is the world of pro athletes and their agents.

Veteran of Misadventures
    V11,

Picasso is right, and this is why we have such a thing as liquidated damages clauses. A liquidated damages clause actually anticipates a breach of a contract and is a negotiated resolution of the damages in advance of the signing of the contract. I would be surprised if there was not such a clause in Malkin 's contract with the Russian team. If enforceable, it will serve to cap the damages in any lawsuit against Malkin and the Penguins, although if it is solid and enforceable, the Penguins will settle and the Russian team will be quietly paid to go away and shut up in the amount they could recover under such a clause.
    Last edited by EagerBeaver; 08-18-2006 at 09:01 AM.

i dont know what is in his contract all i know it was sign i week before he quit his team. To me my word is important

Veteran of Misadventures

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast