Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cost of flights to montreal

cost of flights to montreal

is outrageous. will cost 600 bucks minimum. driving would cost me 170 round trip in gas, then there would be tolls, would take 10 hours if no traffic... driving through customs sucks.

As long as you hand them a printout of your hotel reservation along with your passport customs is a breeze.

Quote Originally Posted by infanticide
    As long as you hand them a printout of your hotel reservation along with your passport customs is a breeze.

I'm more worried about coming back. every time I have driven through back to the US, I get stopped, searched, and held for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by gamelessdork
    is outrageous. will cost 600 bucks minimum. driving would cost me 170 round trip in gas, then there would be tolls, would take 10 hours if no traffic... driving through customs sucks.
    Try flying into burlington and then renting a car into Montreal....may be cheaper. Higher oil and looks like airlines will continue to cut service and keep fares high.

Banger
    The voyage of discovery is not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes.

Marcel Proust

Quote Originally Posted by banger
    Try flying into burlington and then renting a car into Montreal....may be cheaper. Higher oil and looks like airlines will continue to cut service and keep fares high.

Banger
    I'd do that, but I've be given hell for driving a rental car across the border before. Gave me a really hard time returning home. The airfare to Burlington, is much cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptRenault
    As an alternative to renting a car in Burlington, you can take a Greyhound/Vermont Transit bus (fare=$30) from Burlington to the bus station in downtown Montreal. From there, take the metro to your hotel. The bus ride takes over 2 hours because of the border crossing, but you save the costs of car rental, parking and gas.
    If you were flying to Burlington, I am guessing you would have to take a taxi from the airport to the bus station. I am not sure of the actual proximity of the 2 places. But looking on an online map, it is definitely not walkable.

Also, I don't see it as a viable solution when you are returning home. I could see planning the timing of the trip home as a a total logistical nightmare. First you go from the Montreal bus station, then to the Burlington bus station, then to Burlington airport to catch a flight. In my opinion, there would be a lot of missed flights doing it that way. Easier to rent a car.
    Clark
    ------
    MOONEY: Sergeant, I swear! Flying! With a big red cape! And bright red boots as well! Then, quick as a wink - he was gone! Flew up in the air again, he did. Like a big blue bird!
    SERGEANT: Like a big blue bird....with bright red boots! Why don't you take the rest of the night off now, Mooney. Go back to Murphy's bar and finish what you plainly started. I'll be off myself in a bit and join ya there...

This is a shockingly good tip in my opinion.

Check out Travelocity, they have something like 2 week short notice deals and have really good deals much better than typical package deals on other travel sites. I have found stays at 4 star hotels with flight for under 500 for 3 days.

Banned
    I did that once like 5 years ago with Jet blue I flew into Burlington and then took the bus, but the problem is waiting for the bus that can be a very very long and the bus station there is like a shack if I remember correctly. You do save money but it sure was a long long day........I had to do that because I had a ticket only comming back from a previous trip but I did not have a flight going there so I took Jet blue to Burlington...

Quote Originally Posted by CaptRenault
    As an alternative to renting a car in Burlington, you can take a Greyhound/Vermont Transit bus (fare=$30) from Burlington to the bus station in downtown Montreal. From there, take the metro to your hotel. The bus ride takes over 2 hours because of the border crossing, but you save the costs of car rental, parking and gas.
    Last edited by DAVIDFINKEL; 05-23-2008 at 12:39 AM.

I even looked at taking amtrak. Would take 13 hours, longer than even driving. man this airfare crap sucks, but I will check into the travelocity idea. I think with gas prices being so expensive, I doubt flights will decrease in cost.

Gameless...I've come to the realization that you are by far the most negative person on this forum!! You've been offered great advice by numerous people here yet you continue to complain and never once said "hey thanks for the suggestions guys"...man, it's brutal.
    Jules Winnfield (Samuel L. Jackson in Pulp Fiction) English, motherfu*ker, do you speak it?

Typical Yankee fan in the Merb Sports Section!! Bwwaahh.

Retired veteran hobbyist
    Quote Originally Posted by Special K
    Gameless...I've come to the realization that you are by far the most negative person on this forum!! You've been offered great advice by numerous people here yet you continue to complain and never once said "hey thanks for the suggestions guys"...man, it's brutal.
    Hey, the name fits!

Quote Originally Posted by gamelessdork
    I'm more worried about coming back. every time I have driven through back to the US, I get stopped, searched, and held for a long time.
    Aside from having to open my trunk for a brief glance, I've never been stopped/searched/held coming back to the states. Going into Canada I've been sent into the 'interview' building like 3 times. Do you cross in NY?

Flying into Burlington and renting a car is the way to go. Avoid taking Amtrak at all costs, it is the worst 12 hours (usually much more) you will ever spend and clearing customs is a real pan in the ass.

Here is a thread that I started that may help you out:

https://merb.cc/vbulletin/showthread...ight=traveling

Quote Originally Posted by infanticide
    Aside from having to open my trunk for a brief glance, I've never been stopped/searched/held coming back to the states. Going into Canada I've been sent into the 'interview' building like 3 times. Do you cross in NY?

Flying into Canada I've been interviewed before, but never driving. Driving back to the US, everytime I had my car taken apart. I would drive through either Niagara Falls or Detroit.

I was only thinking from the perspective about trying to calculate border wait times on the bus. I am assuming that it will take longer on a bus than it would to just driving a car.
    Last edited by ck_nj; 05-23-2008 at 10:44 AM.
    Clark
    ------
    MOONEY: Sergeant, I swear! Flying! With a big red cape! And bright red boots as well! Then, quick as a wink - he was gone! Flew up in the air again, he did. Like a big blue bird!
    SERGEANT: Like a big blue bird....with bright red boots! Why don't you take the rest of the night off now, Mooney. Go back to Murphy's bar and finish what you plainly started. I'll be off myself in a bit and join ya there...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast